tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today had time to do a little looking at a church thrift store. Checking out the jewelry I ask why is it I only see watches every now and then. One lady giggled and the other said you want watches we've got some watches for you today. She told me to take a seat on a couch in the store and brought out a tub full watches. It had to weigh 10 lbs. It was all mostly modern crap, but I sat there and combed through it all and found these. The Benus is all original with signed band, but it's an electro-mechanical which I know might be a bit temperamental. Giving it a shake the second hand does move forward and the battery hasn't bleed. I really never knew Armitron was even around during the LED era, but that's what I got. The back says the case is Swiss made, so I'm thinking it either has a Texas instrument processor or one from Japan.? I do have an interest in the timeline of the man's wristwatch and these certainly have their place in that transition of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_160938.jpg
    IMG_20190429_160938.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 179

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Benrus is awesome. Luv the styling .

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is cool looking. It's called the Citation. As-is it's maybe worth $30 to $40. Fixed up one I saw sold for around $140.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d buy it. I might give it a try. Pm me if interested.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d buy it. I might give it a try. Pm me if interested.
Thanks JD, but running or not it goes into the collection for now, as I'm just hoarding away vintage wristwatches for who knows how long.? I just feel they're so rare to come by anymore, due to the online Renaissance we've entered. So sad for the ones I sold when I went to selling on eBay in the 1990s :( Got good money for them though :) still they're gone :'(

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground control to Major Tom.
I remember my dad bought an LED when they first came out. He didn't sport it very long before it went into his sock drawer. Pushing the button to check the time and then forgetting what it said just wasn't very practical. I got it for a while and used it until the battery's went dead and can't recall what happened to it. It was made by Bulova and probably worth $200. today.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember my dad bought an LED when they first came out. He didn't sport it very long before it went into his sock drawer. Pushing the button to check the time and then forgetting what it said just wasn't very practical. I got it for a while and used it until the battery's went dead and can't recall what happened to it. It was made by Bulova and probably worth $200. today.

I remember the 70's red LED number craze. They were attempting to put them to all kinds of uses.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the 70's red LED number craze. They were attempting to put them to all kinds of uses.
The Benrus runs, but the rotating bezel is stuck with some gummed up looking gunk. I put two new batteries in the LED and it lite-up for only a second and now I get nothing out of it. It was only 3 bucks and being the Benrus was only 5 bucks I guess I can't complain.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found the right 340/343 battery at Batteries Plus for the Benrus electric. I cleaned it up some and it ran just fine, so far today. Its a pretty high beat ticker. Wish I could show the movement, but it comes through the front out the crystal and that's not something I should attempt to try and do. I did find a post where someone who appears they know what they're doing completely overhauled one https://blog.noq2.net/benrus-electronic-citation.html. I've got a total of around $13.00 in to it along with some effort on my end to spiffy it up some. I'd say it now a $125.00 watch.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_194211.jpg
    IMG_20190514_194211.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 62

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions