One POUND Fourteen Ounces of 800 Silver / Maker ID Help

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thumbnail.jpg While i was at my daughters screening in a porch, my wife hit a local thrift store and picked up this 1 pound 14 ounce 800 silver platter! Can anyone help with the ID of the maker and possible age? Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great piece. I believe it to be German or maybe Belgium. Pre WWII. The three stars is attributed to a particular maker family of some sorts but I don’t have any more time to research. It definitely warrants more research and I think it’s a special piece. Great find!!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow cool. My wife has scored a few silver Rosie's out of coinstar when I wasnt with her but nothing like that yet.
I've been training her on what to look for when shes shopping so she can keep an eye out but it's far and few between around here. The thrift stores pull anything better than plated, probably keeps it.
I think my fondness of the metals and history is rubbing off. She likes pretty things as much as any girl but never knew what to look for. That's cool she scored it for ya!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife can smell silver. We have been together 38 years and lived off of flea markets for several years. We would pull in to the markets in the dark and while i was setting up, she would be out with the flashlight picking. One morning, she came back to the booth with a 7 pound solid sterling candlabra for $1. We have always competed to see who could find the best or most silver & gold and 99% of the time she kicked my butt. We stopped at a church yard sale once and I jumped out first and started picking silver. About halfway through, I looked back and she was going through the same booths that I had already picked. I chuckled and moved on. When we both got back to the truck and I had a decent pile of silver. SHE had a nicer pile of gold that I overlooked. I will NEVER win against her and I guess that is the way it should be.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mark for Norden City is 3 stars in three circles where the mark on ours is 3 stars in a triangle. Closest that I have seen yet.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunk of silver!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mark for Norden City is 3 stars in three circles where the mark on ours is 3 stars in a triangle. Closest that I have seen yet.

HistoryTeacher is correct as the crescent moon and crown is a Germany mark. Sometimes Belgium. The 3 stars is the real mystery. I saw it while researching and it had something to do with a particular maker. I tried to get on the site but it didn’t want to cooperate. And by the way, my wife has found most of our biggest or best finds too! I’ve taught her and our daughter well as she is also a hunter.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also was curious to know if you are using a standard scale to weigh your item. If so you actually have 2 Troy pounds, 3.34 Troy ounces. 12 ozt = 1 troy pound.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Definitely German. The 3 stars in a triangle are probably a city mark although it's possible that's the makers mark. Not sure why everyone is so concerned with that mark when it's obvious the maker's name is stamped on the piece. I can't read it from the picture. Best I can see it's "K. ?TESHAERT".

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a butt kickin score my friend! Congrats to Kathy :)

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Sweet find bro!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! Good eye on your wife's end. That's some heavy duty alloy silver.

Treasure_Trove

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2019
Belgium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster over here.
I'm from Belgium, and I think I might be able to help out.
The three stars in the triangle is the mark of the Belgium firm Wolfers Frères, named after the three brothers who took over their father's business in the 1890's. Around 1892 the three star mark was introduced. By then they had already been awarded the title of 'Court-supplier', and it became, together with the firm of Delheid, the biggest silver producer in Belgium. The firm itself was enormously succesful and sold their silver in their own shops, but they also supplied the most renowned firms in Germany, the Netherlands, and even Cartier in France.
One of the brothers, Philippe Wolfers would even become a fine jeweller working in Art Nouveau-style, the likes of Lalique, you must defenitely google his work, it is extraordinary!
Now for the other marks:
the crescent and crown is indeed the German silver hallmark, and it is known that at the height of the Wolfers' firms popularity, they contracted other firms in Germany and France, to produce their designs and supply them, to keep up whith the demand. So most likely it was produced by the firm of K. Steenaerts in Germany to supply Wolfers.
Hope this helps, and sorry for the long story!

Edit; after some searching I found it's not K. Steenaerts, but H. Steenaerts, it stands for Heinrich Steenaerts, a jeweller and silversmith in Aachen, Germany, he was born in 1860 and died in 1925, and also was 'Hofjuwelier', meaning he was jeweller and supplier to the court. Here's the link to his obituary card:
https://www.wgff-tz.de/details.php?id=218944

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Treasure Trove!!!! and thanks to everyone else that commented! What a GREAT GROUP!

Treasure_Trove

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2019
Belgium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way I forgot to congratulate you, it's realy a nice piece!
Oh and datewise I would think its 1890 - 1910, A few years later the First WW began and a Belgian - German cooperation would be out of the question.
After the First WW the firm began producing striking art-deco designs.
In 1942, a new law was passed that Belgian Makers marks have to be barrel shaped, and the firm saw this as an opportunity to change their mark to a Wolf's head above the letter W, referring in a rebus-like manner to their name.
For future reference... here are two examples from my own collection of their work in the early 50's, when the maker's mark had already been changed, they made in collaboration with the renowned Belgian cristal factory of Val-St.-Lambert.
IMG_20190502_145915908.jpg IMG_20190502_145924578.jpg IMG_20190502_145800698.jpg IMG_20190502_150041361.jpg

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice heavy piece. Great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread