I can’t stop buying art...

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife says stop adding to the pile of art I have to keep and sell. But for $5.99 at my favorite GW store...I had to buy it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557625486.561513.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557625498.163757.jpg
It’s by Giovanni Battista Piranesi back in the 1770s or so. Very collectible and sells for over $1K! I’ll probably contact Everything But The House locally and add it along with some other prints/etchings to sell.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it’s a print. I don’t see the plate marks. It might be a later lithograph.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may know this, and I can't tell from the photos, but there is an easy way to see if an intaglio print is not original. Engravings, etchings, and drypoints require a lot of pressure, and dampened paper to produce an image, so if it's an original print the paper will be embossed along the edge of the image. If there isn't an actual depression in the paper, then it's probably a lithographic reproduction.

Either way it's a nice looking print.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You may know this, and I can't tell from the photos, but there is an easy way to see if an intaglio print is not original.

I didn't know this!!! Thanks for educating me - just another bit of wisdom. Thank you for posting this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions