Problem at my local trhift

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So lately there has been a big problem at my local thrift store. The store has been attracting an unfavorable crowd of people. For the first time today while looking at rings I noticed one in particular that was marked 925 however the price tag said $149.99 14k diamonds. The tag was cut and swapped. Essentially they bought a 14k ring for $5 because they swapped the tag for a ring that was 925.... I have also noticed flatware bags slit open and spoons missing. Also, a lot of the watches have scratches from people trying to get into the backs of them to see if they're gold or not. Just the other day while I was there they caught a guy trying to get out the front door with arms load of clothing and shoes. They asked him for a receipt and he claimed he didn't speak english, dropped everything and left. It's starting to get out of control at this point and it's honestly somewhat depressing stealing from a thrift store. Just thought I'd share this story with you guys.

One year ago this wasn't a problem.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had much luck at any of our local thrift stores but most of their "volunteers" are actually doing court ordered "community service", you do the math.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There are dirtbags everywhere. Unless/until the management does something about it theft will be an issue. I know our local stores have problems with people swapping tags. Having said that, what kind of management displays jewelry in a way that someone could swap tags or allows people to pry open watches? Total management failure for not keeping those type items under lock & key.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I learned that when “code zero” is announced on the intercom at my local GW, it means someone is stealing and for all associates to come out on to the sales floor and catch him.
One guy I know can’t look at jewelry without management present because it is well known that he will slit bags and steal items.
I saw a nice lady (regular customer) with a bag of flatware. She then went and paid for some items she had given her husband to hold. She then rushes him out to the car as she paid. I didn’t see the bag of flatware. I was very curios and went back to that area she was standing and found the bag with a slit in it and clearly missing pieces. I have spoken to this lady several times and commented on her nice Louis Vuitton bags. She drives a late model Mini Cooper and has a perpetual tan. She appears to be somewhat affluent. I was surprised at her brazenness and stupidity. I reported her theft to the cashier and manager. Then found out she is known to have stolen in the past, but unless convicted, and still rarely, GW does not ban thieves, they just hope they don’t come back. But they do, and they steal regularly from thrift stores.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And it's only going to get worse...…………...

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a GW employee tell me they can not do anything to someone who steals from GW because the items were donated. This was brought up as they watched a guy walk out with out paying.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the manager and tell them that you buy gold. You will give them a fair price and they won’t have to worry about it getting stolen. I’ve done it for years at several stores, some will work with you. they get the $. They are happy. Heck, some I sort their jewelry for them. This was a bag with “no gold” 2 days ago...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561699567.071336.jpg

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
You're just being insensitive, and biased.

:P

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn’t that who a thirft store is supposed to service? People in need? It’s rough out there.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a GW employee tell me they can not do anything to someone who steals from GW because the items were donated. This was brought up as they watched a guy walk out with out paying.

That's not true.

The GW stores here do not sell jewelry they actually force their "volunteers" to throw ALL donated jewelry in the dumpster, and will have them arrested if they try to save it. And from what I understand, like Walmart, they will have you arrested for dumpster diving.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GW stores here take in donations and then send everything to a central location downtown where they have a huge warehouse and sort through everything. Once things are priced they ship them back out to the local GW stores to be sold, needless to say they don't miss much and most gets posted online.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you saw someone slip something away in their pocket or purse in a thrift store, would you report them?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you saw someone slip something away in their pocket or purse in a thrift store, would you report them?
Yes.
I messed up at SA once. She handed me a bag of 14k jewelry. I was looking through picking what I wanted. ($30 rings, oh yes!)
A lady asked to look at them. I handed her one. That was my mistake. She ended up pocketing it.
When I went back to the front, I asked if they paid. She showed me she was saving 2 silver rings for one of the ladies. I told her the other one had a 14k ring. I felt really bad and offered to pay for it, but she wouldn't let me.
When the ladies came back, they were asked about the gold ring. The thief said she forgot she had it on her.

Yes, I would tell if I saw someone stealing. It hurts us all.

Our Am Vets store makes you give a license and CC to see jewelry priced over a hundred.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes.
I messed up at SA once. She handed me a bag of 14k jewelry. I was looking through picking what I wanted. ($30 rings, oh yes!)
A lady asked to look at them. I handed her one. That was my mistake. She ended up pocketing it.
When I went back to the front, I asked if they paid. She showed me she was saving 2 silver rings for one of the ladies. I told her the other one had a 14k ring. I felt really bad and offered to pay for it, but she wouldn't let me.
When the ladies came back, they were asked about the gold ring. The thief said she forgot she had it on her.

Yes, I would tell if I saw someone stealing. It hurts us all.

Our Am Vets store makes you give a license and CC to see jewelry priced over a hundred.

This^! I was in the same position and looking at jewelry I was going to buy. I don’t mind folks looking along with me. I let this lady look and then she walked alway. There was just 1 gold ring and it was gone. She was the only person besides me that looked. As she starts walking, I told the cashier that the lady had the ring. She looked dumbfounded, so I yelled out to the lady as she gets to the exit door. I had to call her twice and she could have kept going but she came back. I told her that here was a gold ring in the tray and she was the only person that looked at it. He adult daughter just stood there with her and the lady starts showing her hands to show there was no ring. I then said “Maybe it fell into your shopping bag.” And she looks in the bag and guess what...it must have fallen into the bag. She gave it to the cashier and left. I was pissed at the fact that she was so bold as to steal right there in front of me and the cashier! It just causes prices to rise for the rest of us.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep not a surprise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread