Old Eye Glasses Frames?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually they are marked on the nose bridge and on the arms. Most that I have found are gold filled.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold filled is good. Better than plated. I found a gold filled floral pin. Kinda hefty for it's size.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve found several pairs marked “Extra Fancy” which are solid gold.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ratio of gold to base metal on old gold filled eye glasses frames is good and I just looked on eBay for recently sold scap frames. The top seller was 9.5 lbs pile of 1/10 12k GF frame pieces that sold for $6012.00 + $14.35 in freight to the buyer. I see the GF frames here and there, but I've never bought any as most I see are being sold as antiques and more than likely not worth the their asking price. Solid gold frames are rare, as they're to soft a metal to hold up as a pair of glasses, but they do exist, but I wouldn't buy any unless it's marked as karat gold or hallmarked and pass my testing. So if my math is correct old gf eye glasses frames could be worth in and around a $1.40 a gram.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to think outside the box! Contact prop shops and costume stores too! A friend used to end up with boxes of glasses and sun glasses. He had a props buyer for Warner Bros. That would come out glance at what he had, ask what he wanted & whip out the check book no dickering nothing. After he passed away, she came over looking for him. Ended up showing her stuff I had for the swap meet. She asked me how much, and I stupidly asked for what. She said all of it! Out came the check book & we had a cup of coffee while the helper kid loaded the truck. Costume shops sometimes will buy your junk costume stuff if they can get stuff and make a profit. Don't know about you folks, but I'd rather dump a box than spend time piecing it out.

Another think out of the box tip. Got a few little kids in the family? Starbucks Frapachino bottle filled with coins & costume = Treasure bottle for Christmas. Pretty cool when they'd rather look at their treasure than open the rest of their presents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread