1700's Georgian silver mug at a thrift store...

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sooo... My baby, my wife, and I were treasure hunting our huge local thrift store hoping to find something good. We went by the jewelry counter- nothing there except overpriced sterling. Then we went on through the metal aisle- nothing but the usual stuff. As we were searching the next aisle, I checked the mugs and beer steins to see if any were old porcelain or silver. I pick up this mug, see that it's just peeling silverplate all over, and put it back. But I thought, gee that was a heavy one though.... So i pick it up, and see the old English sterling marks with the left facing lion passant! I immediately thought it was some kind of modern counterfeit due to the peeling silverplate... but something just told me to take it anyway. We searched the other half of the store, all the while I was cursing myself for being stubborn on spending 2.99 on what must be a fake, as I kept commenting to my wife that maybe I should just put it back... again. My wife tells me, hey, just get it- It's only 2.99. So I do. When I get home, I inspect the areas that are peeling, and notice that the peel is not metal colored, but clear. I immediately suspect someone got tired of polishing their silver and just coated it in shellac. I may have even tried to scratch through the plate with a steak knife in an inconspicuous spot on the bottom to see the base metal.... but there was none, just more bright silver color. I test an area with acetone, and it took the shellac off immediately. But it looked so bad, that while I prefer patina, this needed to be polished. So it is indeed a sterling Georgian baluster mug that I got from the thrift store for 2.99! It weighs about 12 ounces, although I don't have a good scale. The hallmarks show that it was made in London by Charles Wright in the year 1770! This is most definitely one of my favorite finds.

IMG_1660.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, but it happens. Some years ago I found a pair of casted sterling candlesticks in a ts that were made in London in 1750.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo that’s awesome!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats how we do it I have found pounds of silver at thrift stores

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find, congrats! :occasion14:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an epic find. Worth hundreds!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Congrats on a great find and thank you for sharing the pics and story.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spec tack a lick alare What a great find and as JimDon states you have excellent ROI on the 2.99!

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the stuff that dreams are made of. I would have had to go to the hospital and have my eyeballs put back in because they would have popped out when I turned it over and saw those hallmarks!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is absolutely nuts!! Wow! I love early English sterling. What an amazing find.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said that you like patina but silver is meant to be polished. It’s actually better for silver items to keep them somewhat polished rather than the dark tarnish. Again, what an amazing find and if only that piece could talk.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Finally got a new scale! 392.1g, or 12.6 troy oz! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions