Mystery Signature on Estate Sale Oil Painting

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this original oil painting a little over a year ago at an estate sale. The painting itself measures a whopping 47"H 60"W. It is beautifully framed with an attached museum light, and is signed in paint at the lower left. I am hopeful someone may be able to help me decipher the signature. It appears to be dated 1949. Any help...even just letting me know if the characters are Chinese or Japanese, would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance! HH!

IMG_5672.JPG
116741_14184-2.jpg
116741_image1_(2).jpeg

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful painting. I did a bit of research on the signature. And unfortunately this post will have lots of my guesses and no definitive answers. Hopefully it will help point you in the right direction. It’s difficult to read the signature. 䚺 Looks like the first character or it could be 言 then ⺙. The second character looks like it has 糹in it which is a radical meaning silk in Chinese. However many characters have that radical and don’t mean silk at all. For example 緑 lǜ which means green. It kind of looks like 綈. That being said I’m going to guess it’s japanese as these characters are not used often in Chinese. Also after 綈 it looks to have a Japanese character after it. One more thing, after the 1949 is what looks like 4月. If it is that then this painting was done in April of 1949. There is also what appears to be a smudge between the year and the 4 which is quite strange unless there was a mistake during the signature process and it was quickly wiped away. Good luck with your research.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything on the reverse? (sticker/tag, words, images, etc.)
Don.........

Nothing on the back that I can see, and I went over it closely with a flashlight to check.

Here are a couple more pics of the signature:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580060509.635574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580060531.028064.jpg

Thank you both for your helpful contributions/suggestions. Much appreciated!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice oil painting! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread