tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this 10"x4" casted silver tray up at a TS, for under four bucks. I took it to a PM buyer and he dropped the NA on the surface first and it was good and we saw a spot on the edge that looks to be filed deeper on it that may have been a spot to get a previous acid test, so the acid was put on that spot and it also revealed a positive reaction as being solid silver. I'm pretty sure it's at least an 80% purity, but I've clue if it's sterling or higher or even the age of it because of the lack of any identifying marks. My hunch is based on what I believe is a Rococo style and it may be somewhat old. Also for whatever reason I lean towards a hunch I have, it may be possibly mid to later 19th century and came from Mexico when they were mining silver by the boat load.

Attachments

• 20200323_063219.jpg
    20200323_063219.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • 20200323_063423.jpg
    20200323_063423.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 20200323_063357.jpg
    20200323_063357.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score.
dts

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and at such a good price... I know usually the rule of thumb is if it it unmarked then its not but I have a few items that are not marked and turns out it is silver... After a while your other senses come to play and you can make a better judgement call..

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
If you have a pawn shop or coin shop in your area....you should have them test it with an XRF gun to make sure it is not a heavy plating...hope that helps [emoji120]

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a pawn shop or coin shop in your area....you should have them test it with an XRF gun to make sure it is not a heavy plating...hope that helps [emoji120]
the guy I took it to said the same thing I need to find someone with a xrf also to be sure. He didn't have one and even though I said we could do a deeper cut, he felt that would be somewhat destructive. I felt that filed spot was plenty deep, but yes to be 100% sure I do hope to fine someone with an xrf. I believe you can even ascertain the actual grade with one of those. Not a lot of buyers invest in a tool such as that due to the cost of one and believe if I do find someone with one they won't be doing any tests for free.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the guy I took it to said the same thing I need to find someone with a xrf also to be sure. He didn't have one and even though I said we could do a deeper cut, he felt that would be somewhat destructive. I felt that filed spot was plenty deep, but yes to be 100% sure I do hope to fine someone with an xrf. I believe you can even ascertain the actual grade with one of those. Not a lot of buyers invest in a tool such as that due to the cost of one and believe if I do find someone with one they won't be doing any tests for free.

Don’t ask them to test it for free, just ask how much they will pay you for it, believe me they will test it for sure than just decline their offer.
Good luck ! I hope it’s real.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find,, the Good Will stores around here don't put stuff on the shelf if their not sure if it is silver.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t ask them to test it for free, just ask how much they will pay you for it, believe me they will test it for sure than just decline their offer.
Good luck ! I hope it’s real.
I know that. Point being I need to find a PM buyer with an xrf, as most the pawn shops I'm familiar with don't have such a device. Also the pawn shops around me just don't seem to give a hoot on dealing in silver, so acid testingis all they're willing to try. I might just drill a hole in the bottom with a very small drill bit and see what the acid does to the cuttings. I'm thinking a tiny hole could then be silver soldered up after that and then finished off. If it proves good.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do, do it from the side. It would be less destructive. I suspect highly it is more likely Indian silver. They don’t mark a lot of their silver and it is more likely it is a dowry piece. People would buy silver platters can give the bride silver but in a functional format.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions