What is a good website for looking up artist signatures?

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this little oil painting at a thrift store. The frame covered the signature. I can't decide if it is junky workshop produced art or something better. I am having real trouble with the signature. The first letter is a "C." and then the last letter is a "y." Any opinions? Is there a good website or art forum any of you use?

IMG_0003_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0004_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0005_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0002_edited-1.JPG

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, but I'd say it was a starving artist type painting that was sold in the 70's, maybe 80's. A lot of affordable was imported from Europe at that time, now it seems to all come from Dafen, China.

I base my opinion on the age of the canvas, and European style stretcher. I can't help on the signature.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm new to looking for art. I do feel it has a 70's look to it. I didn't know about the European style stretcher so that is good info to have. I remember the ads on TV when I was growing up for "starving artists" sales at the convention center.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm new to looking for art. I do feel it has a 70's look to it. I didn't know about the European style stretcher so that is good info to have. I remember the ads on TV when I was growing up for "starving artists" sales at the convention center.

European stretchers have 90 degree cuts, American stretchers have 45 degree angle cuts. You can google about what you can learn from the back of the painting. It's a learning process for sure. I should have added that stock number written on it too. Sometimes it will also be written on the canvas.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a nice little work of art! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread