goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, hasn't been too much great stuff recently- but the new stuff is slowly getting priced and put out.
Today, I got a decent sized sterling trumpet vase ($0.99). Then, on my second pass, I picked up this paperweight with an 1885 O Morgan dollar in great shape. I had to look it over a couple of times to see that it was the real deal. That was also $0.99. These particular paperweights go for more than the value of the Morgan, so I'll keep it as is.

HH
-GC

20200906_174826.jpg
20200906_174842.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya got some money there. I saw a Morgan in a belt buckle maybe last week or so at a thrift store. It was priced a $49.00 and it's gone now, because I didn't wanna buy it. The buckle was a mass produced nickel silver.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a sweet find in paperweight like that!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool paper weight! :occasion14:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We’ve got guys who go around EVERY WEEK around here checking the silverware, jewelry, any item that coin be a coin, made of silver or gold...EVERY WEEK. Being as I work 8-5 Mon-Fri I never have ANY chance of picking off anything good. Too many people into it.
BTW...the last time I saw this one clown leaving the Goodwill, he got into the shittiest rotten little turd of a car you could think of. I climbed into my extremely nice GTO. Maybe I shouldn’t feel so sour about it.
You got some nice finds GC! I LOVE the Morgan paperweight thingy!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
We’ve got guys who go around EVERY WEEK around here checking the silverware, jewelry, any item that coin be a coin, made of silver or gold...EVERY WEEK. Being as I work 8-5 Mon-Fri I never have ANY chance of picking off anything good. Too many people into it.
BTW...the last time I saw this one clown leaving the Goodwill, he got into the shittiest rotten little turd of a car you could think of. I climbed into my extremely nice GTO. Maybe I shouldn’t feel so sour about it.

We have people that run the thrift store circuit every day. It's how some people make a living and/or supplement their disability/retirement pay. Others are collectors or hoarders. That doesn't even begin to take into account the hordes of people that shop the thrifts because they need to. IMO finding something good is pure luck.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other

I go about every other day searching for the good stuff. And I know most of the regulars (I guess I could be one). But don’t let the guy getting in a raggedy car. A buddy of mine lives in a ratty looking house and drove a little rusted Pontiac. Then he wanted to buy his wife a car. He bought her a new Buick Enclave and paid cash. And from thrifting alone, he makes a minimum of $150K a year. And I suspect most of the regulars I see do pretty good.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I go about every other day searching for the good stuff. And I know most of the regulars (I guess I could be one). But don’t let the guy getting in a raggedy car. A buddy of mine lives in a ratty looking house and drove a little rusted Pontiac. Then he wanted to buy his wife a car. He bought her a new Buick Enclave and paid cash. And from thrifting alone, he makes a minimum of $150K a year. And I suspect most of the regulars I see do pretty good.

Plus one on the car. I buy used & drive them until the wheels fall off. Some have gotten pretty beat up over the years but mechanically they're fine. When I used to be a contractor in the 90's I realized I could buy a used truck/van for $1-2000, drive 12-15,000 miles/year, get a .30 cent/mile deduction, & sell the vehicle a few years later for about what I paid. I got $3600-4500 credit I didn't have to pay tax on for the price of gas. Most of the other contractors were buying new & declaring actual expenses. They got about the same tax deduction I did but were actually spending the money they got credited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread