Egyptian Silver

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a pair of small silver bowls/candy dishes/ashtrays? at my favorite local thrift today. The scarabs in the center of each is what made me take a closer look and then I could see there were very tiny hallmarks so I gave it a chance and bought them. They are each about 3-1/2 inches in diameter and together weigh just under 101 grams.

224DC8CC-6840-4A77-AD1C-FD88038591C7.jpeg

Once I got home and could take a closer look at the hallmarks I could see the hallmarks were Egyptian which made sense given the scarab design:

C6BAA347-F870-47BD-ABAD-C7107B1DD096.jpeg

From what I could gather on the internet, the first hallmark indicates Cairo was where it was assayed and it is .900 fine. The second hallmark confirms it is Egyptian silver (sometime after 1946 when they switched from a cat to a Lotus blossom). The last hallmark is a date mark but I am not sure which one it matches. My best guess is it the one for 1965-67 but anyone’s help or confirmation would be appreciated.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I could gather on the internet, the first hallmark indicates Cairo was where it was assayed and it is .900 fine. The second hallmark confirms it is Egyptian silver (sometime after 1946 when they switched from a cat to a Lotus blossom). The last hallmark is a date mark but I am not sure which one it matches. My best guess is it the one for 1965-67 but anyone’s help or confirmation would be appreciated.

Good find. Yes, I would agree on all counts.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a good eye and trusting your instinct will pay off at times. Nice find along with the fun in researching... Good job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread