tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two sterling items yesterday at a TS. The little bowl was thee dollars and the weighted piece for five dollars. I believe I'm finding more treasures because so many forks are cleaning house and doing remodeling with all stay home things going on and they're throwing out and donating valuable merchandise on top of everything else. Im thinking there's a silver lining to all this uncertainty.

Attachments

• 20201231_074304.jpg
    20201231_074304.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 20201231_074400.jpg
    20201231_074400.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20201231_074428.jpg
    20201231_074428.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 71

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When “forks” clean house, good things happen!:laughing7: Of course you have to have lazy owners/managers/intake inspectors who ALLOW items like this to even make it to the shelves. If it doesn’t get intercepted along the way, well....there ya go!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re fortunate, my friend. It hasn’t been a noticeable trend here because, overlaid on those motivations, folks are more savvy about the value of their junk… or at least they think they are. We now have so many TV programs such as Antiques Roadshow, Antiques Road Trip, Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt, Flog It! etc etc that everyone thinks they’re an expert. That’s led to unrealistic expectations of value and a progressive shortage of bargains.

We don’t have ‘thrift stores’ as such… most donated household junk ends up in what we call “Charity Shops” and has already been picked over by someone who has attempted to find selling prices for similar items on the web. Even then, the market attitude in those shops has changed in recent times. I was giving the once-over to a splendid piece of lacquerware furniture in one such shop run by the British Heart Foundation a while ago and when I looked at the price ticket it said: “Bid for me on eBay” together with the web address for the listing. That’s becoming more and more usual.

PS: always helps if you say whether you need assistance on marks/identifications, or if you already know them.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not been out as much because I was tired of the competition and was forcing myself to sell the stuff I have accumulated. Those bowls are nice and I must say that in the last two months, I have gotten lucky even with stiff competition. And now is the time to put things on eBay and such. Stimulus checks increase sales! And I’m looking forward to the first of the year Spring cleanings and donations!!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re fortunate, my friend. It hasn’t been a noticeable trend here because, overlaid on those motivations, folks are more savvy about the value of their junk… or at least they think they are. We now have so many TV programs such as Antiques Roadshow, Antiques Road Trip, Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt, Flog It! etc etc that everyone thinks they’re an expert. That’s led to unrealistic expectations of value and a progressive shortage of bargains.

We don’t have ‘thrift stores’ as such… most donated household junk ends up in what we call “Charity Shops” and has already been picked over by someone who has attempted to find selling prices for similar items on the web. Even then, the market attitude in those shops has changed in recent times. I was giving the once-over to a splendid piece of lacquerware furniture in one such shop run by the British Heart Foundation a while ago and when I looked at the price ticket it said: “Bid for me on eBay” together with the web address for the listing. That’s becoming more and more usual. Even if I don't find anything I still have pleasure just looking at it all.

PS: always helps if you say whether you need assistance on marks/identifications, or if you already know them.
I would think there'd be a lot more folks with a keener eye looking for things of old in your part of the world. Most people shopping in a thrift shop over here are looking primarily for practical items in good usable condition with the number one being clothing. What can be a treasure in my eyes are things such as antiques, silver and jewelry. Success in finding these items is frequent visits, as new items are being set out throughout the working hours. Even if I don't find anything I still enjoy looking at all the stuff that ends up in these places. Some bring back memories and other items might be just interesting to ponder over.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When “forks” clean house, good things happen!:laughing7: Of course you have to have lazy owners/managers/intake inspectors who ALLOW items like this to even make it to the shelves. If it doesn’t get intercepted along the way, well....there ya go!
I call that, How the Cookie Crumbles and in the aftermath of it all some pieces have the chocolate chip and some don't.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Agree with your theory, plus, at least early on in the covids, a lot fewer people were going out so things weren't getting picked over. I found a bunch of vintage toys those first couple of months stores opened back up--now they're few & far between as in the past. We have people here that will hang out a thrift store all day waiting to get first pick at everything that comes out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread