Help with Mystery Silver Mark

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a silver bowl in a local thrift today, and I found a solitary mark on the bottom that I couldn’t decipher. I wasn’t sure if it was solid silver or just silver plated, so I haven’t purchased it yet. I’ll go back if this mark indicates it is something good. FYI, I don’t know if I have the mark oriented correctly. I’m sorry I don’t have a picture of the bowl - I was trying to be inconspicuous in front of the staff so as not to draw attention to it. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1520.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one I've ever seen before.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what the mark is, but if it looks like silver along with a unique mark...most likely it’s real. Go buy it!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
No idea on the mark. The blue color to the left of the mark is somewhat of a red flag. Silver plate tends to tarnish in various shades of blue before it turns totally black.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Agree with above in that the rainbow colors to the left look like silver plated tarnish.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on the mark. The blue color to the left of the mark is somewhat of a red flag. Silver plate tends to tarnish in various shades of blue before it turns totally black.
Agree with above in that the rainbow colors to the left look like silver plated tarnish.

Thank you both. That coloring that you pointed out is also part of what gave me pause.

If it is potentially Turkish silver (.800 or .900) as member Niffler speculated, would that tarnish differently than say Sterling for example?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have pictures, can you at least tell us what kind of bowl this is? Size? Shape? With or without feet/handle(s). Plain or decorated/pierced? Anything about it which is distinctive? It's a thankless task tracing a mark without anything to give us a clue for origin or age, but the mark is nothing I recognise.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and snapped these pics. You can see the mark near the leg of the bowl closest to the camera in the bottom photo. Thanks! IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have really enjoyed goodwill and thrift shop silver hunting. My rule of thumb. If I don’t know for sure and it’s less than 5 bucks I buy it. It goes into the pile. If your lucky it’s a great pay day. If your not then you sit on it and wait. Silver prices will be headed up. Not tomorrow but it will and a bowl that size will have a quarter oz on it even if it is plated.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing the complete items it appears to be one I suspect to be silver plated. My guess it would be a pressed sheet of base metal such as copper and then electro plated. I'm believing it was maybe made as early as the 1930s, but that's just a guess. Your post did solve something I have as I was searching I came by an image of a sterling epergne looking exactly like one I have as being made by Horace Woodard & Co. I guess I can thank you for that unsolved mystery of mine.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing the complete items it appears to be one I suspect to be silver plated.

I agree. The overall look isn’t quite right, and that coupled with the unknown mark is what stopped me from purchasing it. I know $8.99 isn’t much, but every penny counts during these Covid times. Thanks all for the helpful input!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those kind of things really have not market value IMO and would just take up space and a little outta your wallet is about all. Some silver plate are the exception, such as something really old, makers like Christofle and old trophies can be a treasure find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread