Hidden items.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
How many of you fine folks who have made really good thrift store finds, had to "find" the stuff hidden in some fashion ?
By hidden I mean, tucked behind some big worthless pile of whatever that 99% of people won't give a second glance.
Up high on a shelf behind something.
In the wrong section hidden behind something ?

Most of my good finds from thrift stores were basically hidden by employees who were going to buy it themselves or have a friend buy it.

I figured it out after seeing a new manager hire in at a store that I used to frequent.
Within two weeks, she went from plain and drab, to blinged out more than Mr. T.

There is a good reason why Goodwill started auctioning this kind of stuff, because they can't trust the employees/volunteers.
Unfortunately.

Its the same way at Habitat for Humanity Restore's.
It got so bad with volunteers pricing valuable donations at near free prices and then buying the item itself, that Habitat instituted a policy that ALL donations have to be on the sales floor for seven days before the employees/volunteers can purchase anything.

You can find great stuff hidden there too!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya got me. The big shops around me have 50% off on Tuesday for seniors on 4 outta 5 various color tags and also every Saturday for everyone. The color tag that's not on sale is always new items just set out I've noted. But there have been times I'll ask an employee on a day before the sale, what color tag won't be on sale tomorrow and if I find something that be worth the discount and I'll then place it up high and behind so I can go get it the next day for 1/2 the price if it has a color tag that'll be discounted. More often I'll pay full price on items that have just arrived to the shelf on discount days because it's something that's been just put out and well worth the full asking price and undiscovered by most, but me. So many others are shopping for the discount deals. These thrift stores around me are very large and the employees really aren't that keen or have the time to I.D. all the real treasures, but who knows maybe they are stashing things they know a little more about?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a local thrift store that I used to hit on Saturday around 6:00pm (they closed at 7:00). They weren't open Sunday, so yeah, employees hid high profit items in boxes under tables. Unfortunately it just doesn't happen anymore.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC1969 welcome back fella...:hello:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that my local Goodwill did not allow employees to shop in the store. I don't know why people do now. Their used t-shirts are $5.99 and you can go to the Walmart, that you can see from the Goodwill, and find all sorts of nice, new shirts for less than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread