Any friendly Kentucky folks out there?

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
My name is Jim and I am a misplaced Texan now living in the heart of Kentucky. I am not really new to detecting, though I have been away from it for a while (started in the early 70’s with a Bounty Hunter 1). A week or two ago my wife and I bought a couple of cheap used Bounty Hunters and have had a ball. So I am considering upgrading to the AT Pro for both of us. We live in Central KY (Lexington area) and have only hit local parks. We hope to find someone that might take us under their wing and teach us a little about relic hunting. Or at least point us in the right direction. Anyone out there?

JimK

2oldbones

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, your best bet would be for you to do some research at your local library in Lexington. They would have the early maps of Lexington that you will need to study to determine where would be the best areas to hunt. I myself am a relic hunter and I am over here in Anderson county near Lawrenceburg. Also, If your are serious you may want to think about getting a middle of the road detector like maybe a Ace 350 / At Pro or maybe a Tesoro

Daniel

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind reply. I hope to be into the AT Pro in the next week or so and see if we can find a place or two to go. I have been driving myself crazy with the Youtube videos and all of the cool finds out there. Not being from this area I do not know any land owners but hope to meet a few through some friends. If this where Texas I would be set but it is what it is. I am actually in Nicholasville. Camp nelson was just south of town but that is locked down. Our neighbor knows someone whos property borders the Camp Nelson park grounds and we may be able to get out there. We are saving that lead for the new detectors though.

JimK

Last edited:

Clint in KY

Greenie
Oct 5, 2014
West Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Far West Kentucky - we have an active club here. I suggest you check out the following links for clubs in your area:
The first is the North KY area - Florence

NKTHC

and the second is in Louisville

Home

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You. I will look into those and see if they have room for a couple more.

JimK

kyguerilla

Oct 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
If you ever get up to Springfield or Lebanon give me a holler, I have some sites with permission.
Probably some farmers around Camp Nelson that would give you permission. Camp Nelson is cracking down, they're having problem with looters; they're getting ready to prosecute some people they've caught.

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
If you ever get up to Springfield or Lebanon give me a holler, I have some sites with permission.
Probably some farmers around Camp Nelson that would give you permission. Camp Nelson is cracking down, they're having problem with looters; they're getting ready to prosecute some people they've caught.

Thanks for the reply and invite! We may just take you up on that someday soon. Camp Nelson is locked down (they have signs posted) and we have no intentions of trying to "sneak in". We do know a lady whos property borders the camps park line and we are slowly bringing up the idea to let us hunt it. My wife wants a little more experiance so we dont waste any good hunt sites. But I will take you up on your invitation some saturday or sunday if you really do not mind. We sure could use all the help we can get.

JimK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread