help a newbie El Paso Tx area

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a detector for a few years, never ever used it except for the backyard... Anyone want to show a new guy where and how to hunt in the El Paso area? Need a hunting mentor/buddy.

I'm not sure what you are looking for. Historical, old money, GOLD... I'm about an hour north of you, I'm more into the gold thing...

But... I'm also incredibly curious about the history here.

I used to live right behind fort seldon.. Rented place, my yard was literally full of old broken glass and pottery shards... My land lords, who had
all the land around my little postage stamp had an entire wall of stuff they had found. They weren't detecting, just the stuff they found digging
flower beds.. Dozens of cannon balls, tons of pottery, bottles, buttons, gun remnants and the one I think was the coolest, a ring with 14 keys...

Fort Seldon is also a state park, and one of the rangers used to come into the local watering hole to have a few and take home a 6 pack... He was
saying that as the adobe walls eroded, they was literally native american artifacts falling out.. When they built the bricks, they just scooped the dirt.
At one point, they were cleaning up their paths for some event and one of the lumpy rocks in the way was a human skull.

Anyways. The history here is rich, and the best part, unlike New England, it isn't all paved over.

Read, Read, Read, Read... TONS of books on local history. Billy the Kid, Geronimo, Pat Garrett, Victorio himself, Victorio peak, the spanish for
400 years, Oliver Lee, and tons and tons of other really neat stuff. Forts up and down the "river".

If you want to find somebodies lost wedding ring, I can't help you.. I can't really help you anyways, except to point out the
crazy history in this area, and all the crazy things that have happened, and a lot of those places are not really there anymore,
which seems like a good place to go metal detecting.

Good luck finding some good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread