My metal detecting Dog - seriously

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Love it! LOL... <snort!> I'm a sucker for a good joke.

This would make a perfect "Friday Funny" post on my blog. May I have your permission to share it? (I will give you credit, of course.)

Just an FYI, that pic has been around the internet for a long time. He didn't create it, but you can give him credit if you like! LOL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story!

Give Buddy a pin pointer and digger!

GL & HH

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy loves to go metal detecting and wants to dig every hole for me. When he hears the beeper go off he barks like crazy and goes to digging.

I don't have many pictures of him searching because it's usually just me and Buddy
What breed is buddy? He looks like a border collie or a border collie mixed with some other breed.

Rockh0und

Apr 5, 2016
Germany. France/Switzerland border-region
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra VX3, 950 coil, white SEF coil, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Love it! LOL... <snort!> I'm a sucker for a good joke.

This would make a perfect "Friday Funny" post on my blog. May I have your permission to share it? (I will give you credit, of course.)

Missed your question. I don't own any rights on that picture. Feel free to use it.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my dog Ginger digging up a gold plated one dollar coin I placed in the ground. She is a Border Collie Lab mix and is going on 9 months old. I wanted a border collie for their intelligence and they are very easy to train. As you can see, her markings are all Border Collie. We got her as a pup at 8 weeks old from a local rancher. I did not want to deal with someones grown problem animal. She will go through a rattle snake aversion training class on 20 May. She is going to get a snake venom inoculation shot and medical insurance also, just in case.

These pictures show her digging up a gold plated one dollar coin then sitting when she finds it. I also show the coin I placed in the hole. We go through this routine / drill several time almost everyday.

I move the coin / s to a different location from time to time then take her to empty spots to see how she reacts. I do that because she is smart enough to have thought that if she simply sits (false signal),she will get the treat. Not so. Only when she finds and digs up a coin first, and she has to hunt for it, will she then get the treat. She is learning about not getting a treat after giving false signals.

I plan to get her trained to detect and dig up gold only, silver only, and gold and silver together. I guess you can say I will have her certified, to my standards, in three ways..

Attachments

• S5300691.JPG
    S5300691.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 110
  • S5300692.JPG
    S5300692.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • S5300693.JPG
    S5300693.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • S5300695.JPG
    S5300695.JPG
    874.8 KB · Views: 104
  • S5300696.JPG
    S5300696.JPG
    878.3 KB · Views: 108
  • S5300699.JPG
    S5300699.JPG
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80's one of the treasure rags - I think it W&E - ran a story on a guy in NY who trained dogs, and he had 1 for silver, 1 for gold, and one that was hot on paper money. He was supposedly knocking down 20g a year just walking his dogs in NYC. Just a memory from the cob web infested mind of a chronic digger and older THer.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 80's one of the treasure rags - I think it W&E - ran a story on a guy in NY who trained dogs, and he had 1 for silver, 1 for gold, and one that was hot on paper money. He was supposedly knocking down 20g a year just walking his dogs in NYC. Just a memory from the cob web infested mind of a chronic digger and older THer.
I would not doubt it one bit. Dogs can smell metals and any dog can be trained.

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dreamed about this over and over and over again. Only, I cannot take my own dogs to the beach, due to local laws. But, they enjoy digging. And, they would be great for digging up finds.

Also, when I was younger I dug the holes for a fellow who located metal pipes underground in chemical plants, during demolition. It was crazy. He would throw a stake down and say "Dig here. I will come back in a few hours." To my utter disbelief, I would hit deeply buried pipes every single time. I tried to use the method he used, and I could not do it. The rods would swing wildly in my hands. But, in his hands, the rods would cross the exact moment, he stepped over a pipe. Given that the chemical plant has massive metal machinery, and bins, everywhere, why would the rods swing when the fellow stepped directly over their underground location?? I don't know. At best, my guess is that the magnetic field interferes with the magnetic field of the human body. But why below the body?? Why don't large metal objects to the side of one's body affect the dowser the same way?? I don't know. I only dug the holes.

What I find remarkable is that today, in 2017, not much seems to be known about this subject. Yet, I believe even the Spanish used a willow branch to dowse for ore, centuries ago. And, it appears that they were successful at it.

Back to the dogs - I would really like to see whether people can train their dogs to do more of the finding, and digging. Or, can dogs even be trained to detect gold? Has anyone tried?

As for digging, it might be worth considering using the same age old tools that were used for centuries, by diggers - antler tipped tools. If antler digging tools are used, I would be willing to bet that we would see far less scratched coins, and/or chipped artifacts. Just my two cents.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great dog! Too bad they don't qualify for banner.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Love This Topic! I rescued Rocco almost a year ago after my Rotti passed. That Hurt. Anyway Rocco had been in and out of 4 homes and the shelter before we found each other. Normally this would of been a Red Flag for me...why so many homes? But the shelter people just loved him and it just happened that our Vet who my family have used since 1962 had signed off on health, temperament, behavior etc. Turns out his past owners either had a newborn, toddler, were expecting or he exceeded the weight limit for a renter. He never showed aggression but he doesn't know his own strength! He can pull my z71 in neutral down the road! He loves to find paper money! The second day I had him it was really windy outside, I was out back with him and he found a $100 bill. He didn't chew it, just brought it to me and went off to explore his new yard again! Since then he has probably found close to $300 in paper money! As soon as he goes outside his nose justs POP, POP, POP like a bird dog the whole time. I want to teach him how to find Morels but the timing hasn't worked yet. He loves to learn new things. He has never had an accident in the house, doesn't lift his leg, Vet said he was neutered so young that he probably won't ever, goes with me everywhere, even work, doesn't tear anything up and loves Gino the cat! I'll try and post a picture of him. I'm going to try and teach him to find buried silver and gold when we go Detect, I don't know how that will work but if he gets a treat he will do almost anything! He is a Staffordshire breed. He IS a Talker! First one of those breeds I've had but I feel Blessed that I got to be his Forever Home! I'll have to figure the pic thing out, says it's the wrong file type. Got his picture under my name somehow. Rocco DeBarko

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story with a happy ending for both you and Rocco. It sounds like you both did good. I like to hear positive stories such as this for a change with all the bull going on around us today. By your avatar Rocco is a handsome lad, and I know you know that he will be a forever friend to you and your family. I need to find a Relic Hunting Dawg. Lol Congrat's to both you and Rocco.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story with a happy ending for both you and Rocco. It sounds like you both did good. I like to hear positive stories such as this for a change with all the bull going on around us today. By your avatar Rocco is a handsome lad, and I know you know that he will be a forever friend to you and your family. I need to find a Relic Hunting Dawg. Lol Congrat's to both you and Rocco.

THANKS DEV! I'll post some pics of him (when I figure out how) and his favorite toy...a 10lb Steel Dumbell! He carries it around and tosses it like it's a SqueakyToy! Boy does Not know his own strength! I almost named him Bam Bam! I have high hopes for him MD'ing and Morel Hunting. I'd take him Turkey Hunting but not only is it illegal, I'd Never get a shot off, he can jump and run so far and fast I'd have to buy him his own tags. I've thought about taking him to the water jump competition at Bass Pro. Thanks Again DEV!

Carrying It IMG_0390.PNG I Hope they posted!

Attachments

• IMG_0389.PNG
    IMG_0389.PNG
    384.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They posted. Great pic's. You might have even named him Super Dog, or Dawg as we say down south here. He is one of a kind. A Great Bud' to have around. Glad everything worked out for the two of you.

Garret Digger

Jun 26, 2016
Carpathian Mountain
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150 with Karma 33x33 cm Coil and Garret MS-2 Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep tight to you ,maybe he found some mushroom's .
Keep haugh haugh well fooded ... :cat: Happy Family!:weather_sun:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs are the best hunting buddies because they wont tell anyone where your honey hole is and unlike wives they don't want the ring you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions