Gettysberg,Pa

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will be camping at the Drummer Boy campground on May 13-14. Needless to say, no detecting allowed there. It honestly makes my mouth water to think of all the things that must be there. I do understand why they do not want digging there. I am so dissapointed that I cannot hunt for even an hour. It is 95 acres, I believe, and the girl told me there was a Ranger camp on the property. Sad that anything there will be lost forever!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there many many times and there are places on that battlefield that give me the willies when I just stand there. There were once fantastic places to hunt on private property around there, most of the camps and some hospitals were not on the battlefield but in the surrounding area. These spots have been well hunted years ago and produced great finds. As far as things there being lost forever, it is likely that there would be no relic type that isn't already in a museum somewhere. Back in the 1960s before there were metal detecting laws there were a lot of poachers with detectors on the main fields, and yes you cannot legally even have an assembled ready to use detector in your car, not even in the trunk while on the national battlefield memorial. You should probably check to see if you are allowed to possess one at your campsite. Another thing about things being lost forever, I think many of them should stay there where so many lives were also lost forever. CW battlefield illegal hunting got so bad by the early 1970s that the national park service supposedly went out and strew steel slugs all over some battlefields to discourage the night hunters.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread