Are Open Organized Hunts worth the admission price?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all these years of just loving this hobby, I finally went to a seeded hunt in Ocean City, NJ. That was in May, 2016. I went with a friend and we split the cost of the hotel room for the 2 day event. We both recovered a ton of wheat pennies and Buffalo nickels. The special Tokens and Punched Wheat Pennies were exchanged for prizes. We both came home with silver coins and silver jewelry. There was a special Gold Hunt on both days and my buddy got gold on each day.
More importantly we met some really nice people. The event was attended by quite a few families with children. They had a special "Children's Hunt" with some great prizes like bicycles and metal detectors. The joy in the children's faces was quite a treat.
I went to have fun, meet people, and to experience a seeded hunt. I came away with so much more.
Would I go again?? YOU BETCHA!!

Last edited:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Video! Thanks for sharing your experience!

The treasures we hold are the History that lies beneath us.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a few hunts (3), yes they are fun, but I did not make my cost back. But I have a hard time on putting a value on the price of fun. Met a lot of people and I am sure some of them was lying to me about their finds, but the "stories" were interesting.
But on the hunts you need the right detector to be competitive. And the best is an older fisher 1200x series with the 1235x being the best IMO that is. I still wish I had my, (saw 2 on ebay last week, I was temped but I have 4 detectors waiting to be put to work now, and the wife might notice and start asking questions). If you can afford to do these hunts, GO FOR IT.:occasion14:

Corsicana

Feb 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attend a lot of competition hunts yearly. Really enjoy them and usually find my entry fee plus back in silver and or gold.Token prizes are gravy. Have won detectors etc. and I am not an organizer, friend, or member of the club throwing the hunt.Tokens are luck but skills in locating and recovery can affect your coin count.
As for equipment I use a fisher 1235 with black widow headphones. A leche or whites digger and a leather finds pouch.When digging don't worry what the target is just rush to find the next one.You can sort coins and tokens between events. My next hunt will be at Antlers, OK and I may switch to my Cibola because of the lighter weight.Also a pin pointer is nice but if you can pinpoint by sight and sound you will recover faster.
I have made many friends over the years and highly recommend a seeded hunt to everyone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy them as well, won over $750 on last one I attended...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool to meet people and try to win raffle prizes but you'd probably find more doing research and getting your own permissions

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We attend and sponsor several competition hunts each year. Several of these are open hunts put on by the detecting clubs. Most clubs put all the hunt fees into prizes and coins, with donations and reduced cost purchases funding the main prizes. Several of them have opened their records to ensure everyone gets a fair chance. Others only allow non participants to bury the prize tokens. If you are quick at recovery, you should recover your hunt fee; and prize tokens recovered sweeten the pot.

It's a great way to meet others that share a common interest. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but many enjoy the camaraderie .

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread