Are Open Organized Hunts worth the admission price?

RLP5676

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Fellow Treasure Hunters!

I am fairly new to the hobby as well as this board. I noticed that there is an Open Treasure Hunt scheduled in the near future in my local area. The price of admission is about $100. Do any of you have experience with Organized Hunts? Are they worth it? They sound like fun but for $100 I'm not too sure. Thanks for your help!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I depends on the details! $100 sounds pretty steep, but they might be burying some really great stuff, so maybe. I did my first competition hunt this spring and it was a lot of fun. I didn't win any prizes and I didn't get all my money's worth back in finds, but it was a learning experience, I met a lot of great people and I had a lot of fun.

I'm sure every club's hunts are unique, but here is a video of my first time experience....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best detectors for these hunts is the Fisher 1235-X as it will hunt with other detectors very near.
http://web.archive.org/web/20081121104238/http://thegoldenolde.com/favorog1.htm
Sandman is correct, I took his advice and bought used 1235x for the competition hunts I attended and it worked fantastically...The freq shifter worked perfectly to counter interference from other detectors.

The Great Southern Shootout that was held at Daytona Beach for years had a $200 entry fee. I never left with less that my entry fee. On last one held I came home with $400 in price money and another $300 in prizes..

DT2016

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video, thank you for sharing!

I have done a few of these hunts over the years and have done reasonably well. Here are a few (some you have covered) things to keep in mind

1. Choose a machine that has a very fast recovery (never had the pleasure of hunting a trash free space). I have used a both the AT Pro and Tesoro with very good success!

2. Turn down the power of the machine. Usually everything is buried no more than surface to 2 inches.

3. Choose a large coil for coverage.

4. Swing speed will depend on several factors: detector, coil size type of hunt.

5. Find out what will be buried during each section of the hunt (if they give that information) and if you wish discriminate everything else.

6. I used fast swing speed but a slightly slower walk, this allowed me to cover almost everything in my path. Note: I still covered a lot of ground, just more thorough that others.

7. The more refined your pin pointing skills are the faster you will recover goodies (practice in your test bed).

8. Use a pin pointer to locate a target (optional).

9. Most of all go there will only having fun. The goodies will come.

GL & HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The answer is NO. Seeded club hunts raise money for the organizers. I have seen major prizes go to high ranking club members or their buddies too many times to think everyone has a fair shot.

Now if you want to see and be seen, lie and be lied to, these hunts can't be beat! Oh, and THE machine for competition hunts is the Tesoro Cibola, which has incredible recovery speed, and three different freqs to choose from (
14.3 kHz, 14.5 kHz, 14.7 kHz) when working around a dozen other machines.
:skullflag:

YooperTrooper

Jul 23, 2016
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I depends on the details! $100 sounds pretty steep, but they might be burying some really great stuff, so maybe. I did my first competition hunt this spring and it was a lot of fun. I didn't win any prizes and I didn't get all my money's worth back in finds, but it was a learning experience, I met a lot of great people and I had a lot of fun.

I'm sure every club's hunts are unique, but here is a video of my first time experience....

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I've wondered what these hunts were like. Looks like a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a hunt I did a few years ago with a friend, and the prize silvers I got for finding numbered token. The other items - ring, earring and Silver quarter came from an old farm house about 30 of us took a bus to.

Attachments

• lt134.jpg
    lt134.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 148
  • lt135.jpg
    lt135.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 142
  • bthorne 001.jpg
    bthorne 001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 135
  • bthorne 003.jpg
    bthorne 003.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 133
  • bthorne 011.jpg
    bthorne 011.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 127
  • bthorne 013.jpg
    bthorne 013.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 127

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, for the cost of rooms and food, that hunt look like it was more than worth the price!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two-hour drive one way, $12.00 in tolls. Rooms from like 1955, but there was a Coke Machine in the hall. Food was OK. People were... strange. I won't do it again. :skullflag:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two-hour drive one way, $12.00 in tolls. Rooms from like 1955, but there was a Coke Machine in the hall. Food was OK. People were... strange. I won't do it again. :skullflag:

OMG you had to drive an entire 2 hours?! How terrible! I spent 8 hours each driving and had no complaints. I understand these types of hunts arent everyone's cup of tea, but you seem to go out of your way to put down what many others enjoy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monetarily, If you don't have to go far, I'd say yes. I joined a club in 2016, went to their hunt, came out with over 50 coins, with value 4 times the price of admission.

If you need a motel, forget it, unless you just want to go for the fun. I go for the fun. Finding stuff is fun too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG you had to drive an entire 2 hours?! How terrible! I spent 8 hours each driving and had no complaints. I understand these types of hunts arent everyone's cup of tea, but you seem to go out of your way to put down what many others enjoy.

Stop picking a fight. I have the right to state my opinion. I am not making judgments about you or anyone else. Stop mocking me just because I like mayo on my Hot Dogs! :skullflag:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a club hunt if there were any around here in Oklahoma but I never know when or where they are.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a club hunt if there were any around here in Oklahoma but I never know when or where they are.

I know there are a couple in the Tulsa area every year. Not sure if the OKC club holds one, and there is one down in Antlers. PLus more down across the border in TX.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are a couple in the Tulsa area every year. Not sure if the OKC club holds one, and there is one down in Antlers. PLus more down across the border in TX.

Do you have information on when these are or a place to find out for me. I am not far from Tulsa

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the hobby and finding things lost by generations past. The excitement of finding a large cent or looking up the history of a piece is what I like.

I don't really get into the planted hunts. Kind of like hunting fish in a barrel. Finding a mercury dime at a home site brings a smile to my face. I will put it is a coin sleeve and file it as one of my finds.

Finding 20 or 30 of them at a planted hunt means I now have something the price of the coins without any special significance.......just an asset. They go into a baggie to sell off some day!

If you want to do it for the camaraderie and making new friends then go for it. All too often the major prizes will go to hunt organizers, friends and family.

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife surprised me with a hunt in Mass last year. How she got me up at midnight to go to ( heehee ) my sisters in Albany N.Y. at that time still makes me wonder, but we made it by 8:00 in the morning. I believe the entry was 75.00. I didn't make 75.00 at the hunt, but I had 75.00 dollars worth of fun and met some great people. Got some silver, and we got
silver coins as a prize for traveling the longest distance. In my humble opinion it was worth the money for the fun we had. I do believe we are going again this year along with 2 others closer to us. Good luck with your decision and don't forget to have fun.

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that in Latham? I've been thinking of joining the club and doing a hunt, although I think I'd have to invest in a faster machine to have a good chance at anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions