New to Metal Detecting-Beginning Hunt of my 1850's Farm

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have wanted to hunt my farm since I bought it 26 years ago. I will post any decent finds here. Old old farm, and a foundation probably from 1800 or so on back lot. Wengot a melt from a Chinook Wind after three feet of snow last week. I got my det,ector last week, and my pinpointer arrived today, so I begin tomorrow.
First target, below a huge horseshoe growing into a limb on an old growth Maple back by the creek. I'm goping the horseshoe was hung over a cache. Probably not, but if we weren't dreamers we wouldn't be here! I'll keep You all posted.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
Can't wait to see your finds!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and please keep us posted. Farms usually produce a ton of iron targets so don't be afraid to dig. If there's any indication of where there was an outhouse, make sure you detect the path from the house to it. Also, try and estimate where the clothesline might have been, always some coins under it.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wanted to hunt my farm since I bought it 26 years ago. I will post any decent finds here. Old old farm, and a foundation probably from 1800 or so on back lot. Wengot a melt from a Chinook Wind after three feet of snow last week. I got my det,ector last week, and my pinpointer arrived today, so I begin tomorrow.
First target, below a huge horseshoe growing into a limb on an old growth Maple back by the creek. I'm goping the horseshoe was hung over a cache. Probably not, but if we weren't dreamers we wouldn't be here! I'll keep You all posted.

Hope your jack hammer came in the mail also because your going to need one. Your frozen out of the ground and going to have frost at least 16" deep. Just letting you know, lol. Welcome from my side of NY.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck, I hope there's a treasure under that horseshoe.
HH
dts

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go get it wally. Kiss your mel fisher coin for luck. My wife kisses my treasure coin every time she scratches a scratch off. She won 600 the first time she did it. Good luck.

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone. Tomorrow begins the hunt that if done correctly should take quite a while. I have three acres and a creek that in a few hours I panned about a thimble full of gold. Sand-like granules, and it was in the black sand. The bottom of my creek is exposed bedrock to areas with a few feet of gravel over bedrock. The banks are about six foot high, and I have found some nice bottles from a dump I found in the creek bank. Now that I'm retired, I can take my time and do it right. I also have some wood floors in my barn from where it was a sawmill in the 1800's. I may find a pair of square nails! I'll take a picture of the horseshoe with the limb growing around it. It's the biggest hard Maple I' ve ever seen anywhere near here. My wife bought me a great Christmas present from White's. Thanks again everybody. I'll show You all my nail collection. Who knows? I've always had a good feeling about this place though.

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, it's raining too hard for my Water "Resistant" Coinmaster, and generally kind of cold and sloppy. I can't be too picky in New York during January, but I don't want to burn up my detector either. Perhaps this afternoon conditions will improve. Darn.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling, as my farm is an 1850's house as well with cabins on the site from the 1830's the spot I found the most coins was were the carriage house was. While your out along that creek keep an eye out for arrowheads!
Kyle

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite a coincidence! I found an 1854 map of my land, and there was one cabin in front of the creek, and the two out back that I have recognized by foundation stones present at both spots. I was detecting one of them today, and between the cabin and the creek I found a nice scraper. The first native piece in 26 years! One of the bck points is nipped off, And the lead point bumped off, but it's really nice. I will be getting closer to my land now that I'm detecting. Pretty exciting! image.jpeg If anyone can tell me anything about it, I would be greatly interested in finding out all that I can about it. Now that I'm looking around, it's either a pretty fancy scraper, or a small spear point.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What else are you finding up there wally ????? Show us some more pics.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wally where in western ny are ya? i would love to find someone around here to detect with.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So awesome! Look forward to seeing more.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya enquiring minds want to know !! Hope your getting the good stuff.

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No updates. It just went cold in th area behind the creek. I'm about ready To walk the creek. They put in a larger drain pipe up the road. We needed it, but it really moved a lot of creek bank out into Lake Erie. The creek is now three feet deeper, so the gulley is a lot bigger. I think it'll be a Gorge in a thousand years or so. . An old junk pile on the creek bank is completely gone. They had to do it. The old pipe would plug up, an we'd have trees washing right over the road. They found a Mammoth about 25 miles from me, so I'm going to walk the creek bank looking for some big bones.

ColeBen

May 21, 2018
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Master.
Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First target, below a huge horseshoe growing into a limb on an old growth Maple back by the creek. I'm goping the horseshoe was hung over a cache. Probably n ot, but if we weren't dreamers we wouldn't be here! I'll keep You all posted.

This is what dreams are made of, I wish I had a location like this. I can’t wait to see all the goodies you find here. Like you said you are retired so take your time,enjoy and Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread