Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: South San Diego Detectorist aquaintances wanted . . . I have Permissions !

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    Fisher Gold Bug, Minelab Excal II, Teknetics T2, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    58 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Mark, I'm a little over an hour away from Campo, short trip up the hill. This next week we'll be in Lincoln visiting grandchildren, daughters and the American river. I'll be up to some detecting after that if you'll have me. You said the equestrian area is off limits, how about the area where the short track oval is? I will get in touch with you when back from the NorCal trip, time and place is your call. Thanks for posting this.

On a side note....after reading the earlier posts I got in touch with Chris Wray and ordered a copy of The Historic Backcountry (thanks Tom, PayPal comission is on the way). It has been a pretty good information day.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6794 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtdwg1 View Post
    .... I got in touch with Chris Wray and ordered a copy of The Historic Backcountry ....
    I just glanced at the pages about the Campo area in my book. He's got much material on that area I'm sure you'll like. The book covers everything from the foothills behind San Diego, to the Colorado River, to the Mexican border , to I think as far north as Temecula or so (would have to look).

If you guys bomb out at your spots, and want to try a spot we never fully harvest, let me know. Will pass a GPS to you. We did get an 1841 seated dime at this spot. But after another full few hours with nothing but misc. age indicators to show for our efforts, we "left for greener grounds". The site was a collection of homesteads that dated from the mid 1800s (?) to the turn-of-century-ish. So there was henry shells, harmonica reeds, and misc. house wares , period targets , etc.... But it appeared to be just singular family concern type targets, rather than the preferred "traveler stopping spot" type concern. Hence we tended to focus our research on places where $$ was coming out and coins-changing hands. Eg.: over-night camp spots for travelers, stage stops, saloons, recreational sites, etc... And we did our durndest to stay away from places with modern influence. Because if it's a modern RV camping spot, or teenage modern party spot, then you can assume it's thrashed out in junk.
    4x4x4 likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6794 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
    .....Julian is a wonderful place .....
    One of the spots in the book we didn't get around to trying, was Green Valley Falls. Not far from Julian. I went there as a kid (d/t we had grandparents in the Brawley area). That would have been the mid 1960s. And I distinctly recall as a kid the scores of people frolicking and swimming in the river there. I always thought that would be a good spot to angle for jewelry and coins now. But no doubt, since it's still a modern draw, then you'd have to struggle for the older silver coins (and probably only 1920s-ish at the oldest). But if someone took their time in the swim zones after long droughts bring the water levels down, there should be jewelry in there.
    Back-of-the-boat and 4x4x4 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1096 times
    Mark, I'm a little over an hour away from Campo, short trip up the hill. This next week we'll be in Lincoln visiting grandchildren, daughters and the American river. I'll be up to some detecting after that if you'll have me. You said the equestrian area is off limits, how about the area where the short track oval is? I will get in touch with you when back from the NorCal trip, time and place is your call. Thanks for posting this.

On a side note....after reading the earlier posts I got in touch with Chris Wray and ordered a copy of The Historic Backcountry (thanks Tom, PayPal comission is on the way). It has been a pretty good information day.
    ....Truly, all I have is time ! Anytime!
    The NEW oval track is familiar...unknown of the "old".
    Currently working on permission for a neighborhood betting track in Potrero on private land.....so much to cover !
    To be clear...I have no permission at CLEEF , the current operator but have scratched around the grounds raising no eyebrows. The equestrian buildings I was referring to were the Buffalo Solders and WW2 horse housing , now owned by the railroad museum....BUT the surrounding land is ripe with foundations I know little about.

TKS,
    Mark.
    Last edited by 4x4x4; Sep 10, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    One of the spots in the book we didn't get around to trying, was Green Valley Falls. Not far from Julian. I went there as a kid (d/t we had grandparents in the Brawley area). That would have been the mid 1960s. And I distinctly recall as a kid the scores of people frolicking and swimming in the river there. I always thought that would be a good spot to angle for jewelry and coins now. But no doubt, since it's still a modern draw, then you'd have to struggle for the older silver coins (and probably only 1920s-ish at the oldest). But if someone took their time in the swim zones after long droughts bring the water levels down, there should be jewelry in there.
    I've only camped at GVF , never detected anything but friendly skunks !
    Thanks for the heads up .

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4033 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'm game for most detecting outing too, so, If you still need someone to share the trip with, just say the word......assuming you can stand another Mark!
    4x4x4 likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'm game for most detecting outing too, so, If you still need someone to share the trip with, just say the word......assuming you can stand another Mark!
    ..! Howdy Mark !.. I have most times . Simply call out a day and time !
    (this)Mark.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4033 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'm hoping the heat/humidity will ease up a bit before I start hitting inland sites. It's been brutal lately.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6794 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'm hoping the heat/humidity will ease up a bit before I start hitting inland sites. It's been brutal lately.
    Yeah. You guys just had some 100* and-more temp's lately, right ? All the more reason to hunt at night ! Doh
    DiggerGal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Yeah. You guys just had some 100* and-more temp's lately, right ? All the more reason to hunt at night ! Doh
    .....Oh yeah Tom. Last week I saw 109F IN the house one day ! Us wimps in So.Cal .....

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    ....NEXT WEEKEND ,Saturday, SEPTEMBER 23 , I WILL BE IN AND AROUND CAMP LOCKETT, CAMPO CALIFORNIA .
    no specific areas yet and trying to get permission for the long closed/fenced Theatre . Many possibilities exist including the housing, and operating VFW , access to SOME of the parade and training grounds , many foundations and this property abuts the railroad-come-museum yard . On Google satellite maps , Forrest gate rd. Intersects with Hwy 94 . This road bisects the camp North to South (And parallels the Pacific Crest Trail, PCT from Mexico to Canada). Sheridan rd. bisects the camp East to West .
    I have"prospected"these areas and many relics have been removed as well as personals, a few coins and militaria with few pull tabs !
    If traveling SR-94 from town (94 frwy) eastbound , have your co-pilot search the north side surrounding hills that still have the old Stage Route remains , noted by the Chinese built, cliff-hanging roadways built of hand stacked bolders !

Cafe'B is a local restaurant at 1247 Sheridan Rd, Campo, CA 91906. Saturday 7AM—9PM closed Sun.

Fuel can be had at BUCKMAN SPRINGS rd.at Hwy 94 (SR-94/aka, Campo road).....a Subway sandwich/Chevron AND much cheaper fuel across the street next to a little Taco shop .

Camp Lockett WILL be made into a County Park then all relics will be off limits !
    I hope the weather will be as nice as THIS weekend !

https://www.californiahistoricalland...marks/chl-1045

HAPPY HUNTING !
    Mark.

Edit; the area around this camp has seen the gold rush Era, Mexican American war, Spanish / Mexico encounters , Stage service and robberies , Train service and robberies to South of the Border, Civil War actions , Buffalo Solders , Gaskill Brothers shootout, an original crossing from Mexico and more !
    M.
    Last edited by 4x4x4; Sep 18, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
    DiggerGal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    Mark , see above ! I believe others are coming too !

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times

dsrtdwg1. . . Hope you're rested from your visit. Please see above .
    Mark.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    1096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerGal View Post
    Hi Mark!
    I live in the Temecula area and would enjoy a hunting partner.
    Taking time off work starting 10/1 to just relax for a bit.
    Let me know if you still would like a partner to hunt with. Looks like we are going to start to see some cooler weather very soon! 107 is a tad bit hot to be swinging for any length of time! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ....Hi DiggerGal !
    Please see above !
    Mark.

us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    Fisher Gold Bug, Minelab Excal II, Teknetics T2, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    58 times
    Hi Mark, tell me a time and the area you will be at and and I am ready Saturday. I can get away anytime during the week except Wed.AM if you are up to weekday hunts. It is your call, thanks for the invite.
    hbru123 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links