South San Diego Detectorist aquaintances wanted . . . I have Permissions #2 !

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends !
I have a permission in Potrero , West of Campo's, Camp Lockett where we met on September 23rd.
A cursory one hour hunt along the waters edge with a Mexican National friend netted personals , coins , iron tools , furniture parts , brass parts , sticks of lead and pewter , horse shoes , binocular , metate and mano stones, knapp stones, "tons" of live and spent shells of all sizes etc .... This private , unoccupied parcel is one of two contiguous permissions totaling 100 acres. What makes these two properties special to US ?.... A FRESH WATER , SPRING FED LAKE ! The spring was dammed in the 1800s with a hand stacked "cowboy" dam AND was on the OLD STAGE ROUTE ....... Now , I have only checked out a tiny area on the north side......The SOUTH SIDE has long been used as access for bathers and fisher persons not to mention the wildlife and is heavily overgrown with some clearing from recent fires! This area undoubtedly has spills and even Native American finds .
One property on the north has been partially scrapped clean ! And will be developed soon....the OTHER property still has weed growth but is harboring the remaining STAGECOACH and horse stop where layers of history are noted .
Large trees still stand for some shade and deer are prevalent...quite unusual in this arid coastal desert . Present are snakes, mountain lion, bobcat, all manner of bugs(surprisingly few mosquito or ticks), birds of prey, jaguarundi, coyote, fox and even the occasional "international travelers" in the form of illegal immigrants. NOT TO WORRY ! Our first line of defense, the Department of Homeland security/Border Patrol have things under wraps.
I need and desire to share this wonderful opportunity with this community. The bare, soon to be developed property permission could be withdrawn at any time with the Stagecoach property ongoing !
The areas have direct access from hiway 94 (SR-94) and is 1 1/10 mile east of the 188 , the road that heads south to the Tecate port of entry.... Easy peasy !
Please respond to this thread or , if necessary, PM me .

HAPPY HUNTING !
Mark.

Last edited:

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mark, When?

Wendell

OP
OP
4x4x4

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mark, When?

Wendell

Hi Wendell.... I'm going to give it a little time.
Last time folks suggested a day and I called out a start time based on distance traveled .
Quite honestly, most days are okay with me....I have few commitments and no one to answer to (bummer), so if you would like to head down....just say when !
We are apparently a Gang now !

Mark.

OP
OP
4x4x4

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Questions were posed about this permission lake hunt....
These are my answers :

Not sure of the depth.....the dam is a hand stacked compression dam with about 20 vertical feet showing. When SR-94 was built , the debris were deposited just upstream of the dam. The current name of the body of water is "Saxon Pond" named for the last generation land owner and is located adjacent to cow and horse pasture. I have never "sounded" the small lake but can guess 25' in the canyon depth(firefighting helicopters hover and fill there) and the irregular dimensions and shore reed growth make an accurate guess tough. I will guess at 100/200 x 1000. Never dry and has both green aqueous and brittle brush all over. Fires and some land clearing have been done up to the water/water plant edge. There are some boggy areas also. Yes , I have detected areas around the pond and the finds have been posted . I think I will do some magnet fishing soon !

Edit...another question posed.... fresh water detecting ? I don't believe there is enough lakeshore as the reeds are thick and appears quite a quick drop-off in places though boggy areas with low , green grasses exist. An area near the easternmost (100s of feet away) fence lines has a small area of now damp tributary stream bed , trees and some bolders where 1960s coins have been spilled (cursory hunt).

Mark. 20170228_102800.jpg looking east toward the falls side of the cowboy dam during our last heavy rains and a native hand stacked hunting blind behind us...a seasonal camp above us and our target upstream !

Last edited:

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi,

What would be the best day for you? We would be able to go this Saturday or next Saturday, which ever you would like.

Thanks

OP
OP
4x4x4

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks !
A small group expressed a desire to hunt these permissions this Saturday, September 30th.
Aside from the screaming weekend motorcycles on the bordering SR-94 this place is quiet , easy to access and should be productive.
A meeting place or time has not been discussed. Those traveling from the southwest using SR-94 have a restaurant in Dulzura, THE BARRETT JUNCTION CAFE and MERCANTILE (94@Barrett lake road) , en-route to meet at for bfast . For those accessing from the north , the Cafe-B is the option.
This site is 1 and 1/10th mile East on the 94 past the Tecate hiway 188 intersection. Traveling time will be similar to the last hunt.
Fuel can be had in Campo(east of the hunt) , the intersection of SR-94 and Buckman Springs.... OR .... in Tecate, U.S. south on the 188 (insanely expensive! )
ANY NEWCOMERS ARE WELCOME..WE'D LIKE TO MEET YOU . PLEASE CONTACT US HERE !

We could simply meet at the site .

Input here please ?

Mark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4x4x4

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTICE :

" OUR GANG "WILL MEET AT THE POTRERO POND SITE 09:00/09:30 , SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th ! We will be 6 strong !
Bring your camera , sunscreen , charged batteries , water and a great attitude !
The weather will be (naturally) perfect , if not a tad warm .
Any new guests are welcome to join this casual hunt in a spectacular setting never before permissioned(is this proper english?).
As before , a PM will get my phone number.
Happy Hunting,
Mark.

OP
OP
4x4x4

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pleased to announce (naturally) perfect weather for the first Potrero pond Cowboy dam and Stage stop hunt !
The two properties total 100 acres. We only hunted some shore side land and the stage stop proper. Some interesting relics were had....yours truly, 3rd axe head and very early horseshoe. Others will post their finds I'm sure. Much trash in the form of bailing wire bits , nails, melted lead/aluminum but, with this trip, we noted "the lay of the land" , areas of trash dump , a couple of dwelling foundations and areas for future exploration.
hbur123 made a few fun finds and at the time to de-mobe, an interesting "eye" find.
dsrtdwg1 has a job cleaning what is certain to be a military medal.
I've got to get my solar tank running to clean the axe heads and other fun finds.

Please join us for another hunt of any of these three permissions with more being added monthly.

Happy Hunting !
Mark.

Last edited:

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much for the hunt! It was awesome! I found out that the coin was a 1950s silver peso!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job guys!! Sorry I missed you all today! Looking forward to the next hunt and the pictures you post of your finds!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Mark. Just an NRA medal. P9300002.JPG

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a picture of the coin. I was able to clean it up a little, you can slightly see the face and it does not look silver because it is only 10% silver. It is a 1 peso. The second picture is what it would look like. It was made from 1957-1967.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506892470.008093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506892470.008093.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 62
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506892688.877298.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506892688.877298.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread