Would / do treasure hunters pay for this kind of service?

Mackees Jewel

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scouting? Scoping? I apologize; I'm new here (and NOT a treasure hunter) so I don't know if there is a proper term/word for this so I'll briefly describe my situation & question -

I am a very experience off-trail hiker (peak-bagging is my speciality for others who hike / can relate! 8-) ) and I am CONSTANTLY discovering awesome things en route to the top of the mountain and back to my vehicle. To name just a few of these things: old mines, homesteads, cabins, dams, etc. that are not even shown on topos, plane wrecks, some pretty AMAZING / beautiful rocks, and on two occasions Natural Arches that had not even previously been reported to the NABS.

With that being said, I was hoping to get an idea / feedback as to whether or not offering scouting / scoping services (and particularly to folks like treasure hunters / those looking for gold or other gemstones, etc.) might be a service that would be of interest. For example, if someone were researching part of a given mountain range / wilderness area as a potential area where gold / treasure were located (but need more clues / information etc. before investing the time & money to come visit the area themselves), then would they be interested in paying someone else to scout / scope the area for them?

Mind you, I'm NOT talking about situations where many clues are in place (at which point, I'm guessing, the person would not want to open up about location / what they might be looking for)... this would be during the preliminary stages of assessing a certain area.

I know from planning my hiking trips that it's often hard enough just getting accurate information ahead of time on which backroads are drivable (or even still in existence for that matter!); so when it comes to getting info. on something of value (location of gold / treasures / relics / etc.) there's going to be a lot to sift through and also a lot of misinformation. Thus, whether it be scoping trail / road conditions, following GPS coordinates to search for the presence of old mines, and/or taking soil samples or photos / video clips of a given area, I'd imagine that this type of service could be of value to treasure hunters, allowing them to assess the "field conditions" early on without investing tons of time/money to travel to the location themselves ... but what do I know... I'm just a broke & jobless day hiker. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet M_J !

Doubtful. one thing I leaned being here so long.
allot of Treasure Hunters are a Very Paranoid Mistrusting Bunch.
always thinking everyone has a ulterior motive.

I personally am a bit more trusting then most, but even I would
think twice about giving others,info in order to scout for me.

we are not the right bunch.

Of course we do love Photos though.
Just not sure how many would pay for them :coffee2:

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm NOT paranoid :dontknow:

I agree with Jeff!

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you are offering is actually part of the fun in treasure hunting. Its not all digging and recovery.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

I like to do my own research, and in MOST situations, would never pay for info. Good Luck! :skullflag:

OP
OP
M

Mackees Jewel

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone, thank you so much for the feedback. I figured it would be worth a try asking but from the replies I received it definitely doesn't seem like my idea would work.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most State land and all Federal lands do not allow metal detecting..but if you know of something in the mid Atlantic region that is legal to hunt, I’ll be happy to investigate! And what ever I find I will give you a percentage!

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to produce a map/booklet of an area that I would be interested in, and it include pics and locations, and it was legal to hunt there, and the cost was under $10 bucks ($9.99) I would probably spring for that.:occasion14:

Side note: I bought a hiking pamphlet for an area I live in about 30 years ago from a camping store that was like that, and my hikes were fun and somewhat profitable.
I think the cost was $3.95 back then.

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I Am Paranoid, everyone is out to get me, When I hunt I keep my head on the move checking all around me and not what is just at my feet, I have avoid snake and no goods, but have met many friendly people too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There can be a researcher not able ,or wanting to wear boot leather.
The trust barrier would need to be overcome though.
As part of a team ,yes a healthy pair of feet and eyes would be of benefit.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I advice you to buy a good new detector and search for treasures yourself. Good hunting and good luck.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... and a camera to share with us your finds.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds to me like you're in a western state like
Arizona, Nevada, California, etc. Try writing about a few of the areas you have hiked and explored. Take lots of pictures. Then visit with someone who has skill in putting together a documentary. Maybe there are a few dollars to be made that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread