charles garrett memorial hunt

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
I just returned to NW Ohio , from the Charles Garrett memorial hunt. 16 hours of driving one way, I want to tell everyone that was not there, you missed a great time. I got to meet some of the Youtube celebs, aquachigger is a real down to earth guy. over 400 people signed up. lots of great folks. The high-lite of my trip was meeting Mrs Garrett, what a sweet charming lady, I had tears in my eyes while she was talking to the crowd , also met Vaugh great young man. all the folks from Garrett were so warm and helpful chatted with Mary, she stopped in the middle of her silver hunt to chat with us. My camping neighbors were real life savers, I took ill sat night, (I firmly believe it was the food wagon food caused it) My friend Ken had some pepto bismol he gave me.. OMG saved my life. and the next morning my other neighbors gave me some bananas to help, I was to sick and weak to do the silver hunt so i gave my silver hunt tag ( with rustys approval) to my neighbors lady friend and she split her finds with me, I was able to load up and come home , Great Great time, Texas is a wonderful state, mighty fine folks. When I left home to go it was 20 degree and snowing,, got there first day was 72 and sunny, WOW Thanks everyone for good clean fun. I tip my hat to all the folks who made it possible, a whole lot of hard work was done to make all this happen, and the sponsors too . great multitude of prizes

sumrtym

Greenie
Aug 8, 2006
Seconded! Always the best hunt of the year. Lots of great folks and the weather this year couldn't have been better. Fire ants weren't as bad this year, but mosquitoes were atrocious! Hunts were organized well and Rusty helped me solve a z-link issue I had first hunt. Lots of prizes, and some good raffles.

I always appreciate the effort Garrett puts into this hunt, their generosity and that of the other sponsers. The night hunt was like watching a field of red fireflies with all the z-links in use!

If I had only one criticism, in general, I thought the prizes for the relic hunt weren't as nice as last year, although they did have a lot of nice swords.

Hope they have it again next year!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad yhall' had a good time. Sounds like this was a worth while event.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a blast. Great fellowship, over 11000 silver coins planted, minie balls, buttons plus the natural finds. The kids hunt was fantastic, over 50 kids participated.

Not one to miss!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it was nearly as good as last year. First: last year in the open hunt there were many silver coins to find all 3 days, they were replanted each night. There were tokens for prizes in it, not just for coupons. Last year Nugget noggin gave away tokens good for a pair of wireless earphones secretly, he gave away at least 15. There were NO misquotes. There was 350 people this year last year 400, but more silver.
I bumped into aquachigger several times during the day, I didn't know who he was the first time but I agree hes a very personable guy. I also ran into KG, in the silver hunt, he didn't find a prize token, nor did I or the guy I came with although one of our clubs members found 3 and won an AT pro and pro pinpointer. I drove 10 hours from Alabama.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Funny thing while working in E. Texas a year or so back. I contract for a local telecom and during a cable rearrangement (cable throw) in a small community on my list of subscribers to move was Charles Garrett. The local tech asked me if I knew anything about metal detecting and I told him heck yeah. He then asked if I ever heard of Garrett detectors. again yes was my answer. He then confirmed this was in fact thee Charles Garrett. I didn't know Mr. Garrett had since passed, but it still was a thrill.
It was an honor to have worked on his phone line and a huge surprise.

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the Garrett website to sign up. Cost depends on what you enter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread