Detector(s) used
garrett at
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
eh, not sure San Miguel de Allende is in the adventure zone - but it is close enough
just always remember you have (figuratively speaking) a brilliant red strobe light just over your head, no where you go and nothing you do will not be seen - and discussed
I lived in 'la tierra caliente' for some years, no more; always have respected locals with you

Bill

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find records of any and all Jesuit Missions in that area. Coronado himself travelled relatively close to your location. If you can locate the old trials heading north to Sonora, you might be able to locate the old Visitas and Rancheros also. Mexico is a virtual Treasure Trove for the ambitious. I'm just not ambitious enough to find myself in Cartel Territory facing whatever they may have in store. That's why, and rightfully so, Americans are leary of Treaure Hunting there and the fact that the Mexican Federales will get you also. I'm not sure which is worse these days. Believe me, if I thought my chances of survival while hunting in Mexico were any better than 20/80, I would have already been there. It's very hard to accept when I have the accumulated knowlede and experience to be succesful there. Through out the years, I have had one friend go down there to work a very rich mine and he just dissappeared. That was thirty years ago and he has never surfaced yet. Another aquaintence of mine had his entire operation seized by the Federales and was sent walking for miles to get the heck out of there. He was hiding as he was escaping and quietly watched the main Federale driving down the road in his new Ford Pickup! No, it's not a good bet and the older I get, the less I bet. Knowing there are still untold caches there, I salivate like Pavlov's dog. Oy Vey. If you would like to PM me, captj, I may be able to tell you a few things that might help you, if you would like.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought an garret at pro. and have lived in mexico for 5 years (San Miguel de Allende) i have located a Jesuit site i will start my first hunt there after Christmas. I think mexico has so many possibilities. it is sad so many americans are scared of Mexico. I am looking for adventurous people and if you have site possibilities contact me.

Nice area your in, lots of good stuff there.

Not sure what folks are scared of, must be all that fake hype. We own ranches on both sides of the border of Tex-Mex; our ranches have been hunted out so much, now the cowboys I think just wait for newer better tech to come out and then they race to buy it and pick through the land again. But most of the best history pulled out of our southern ranches was done in the 70s and 80s.

Good luck down there, we have lost some good Cowboys to that area. They take off MDing and find great stuff and decide not to Cowboy anylonger. Easy place to make some good cash. The Cowboys we lost down there always did their best in the water, seasonal creek beds and some old wash outs. Still have them sites marked, just message me and I will send you the locations. Them boys left back in the early 90s last I heard and headed back to South Africa and Ireland. Tech has gotten way better since then.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mexico is filled with cultural lore about treasures. Legends, etc.... As if a treasure is sure to exist in every cave and ruin. But it's a fun place to visit. As far as the crime, well, ... sure ...... just like in any big city in the world, on the wrong side of town (New York, Detroit, any slums, etc....) just avoid such zones, don't smuggle drugs, etc....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am in general, "scared" of Mexico, but also Baltimore and Chicago. Give me the countryside!

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When was the last time you went to Detroit to lay on the beach? The Cartel shot up Alcapuco a while back. The businesses are all boarded up. Enter at your own risk.

Marisela

Mar 26, 2019
United States Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Americans are leary of Treaure Hunting there and the fact that the Mexican Federales will get you also. I'm not sure which is worse these days. Believe me, if I thought my chances of survival while hunting in Mexico were any better than 20/80, I would have already been there. It's very hard to accept when I have the accumulated knowlede and experience to be succesful there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Americans are leary of Treaure Hunting there and the fact that the Mexican Federales will get you also. I'm not sure which is worse these days. Believe me, if I thought my chances of survival while hunting in Mexico were any better than 20/80, I would have already been there. It's very hard to accept when I have the accumulated knowlede and experience to be succesful there.

Me thinks you're thinking of big cities, border towns, etc....

When you get back into the little towns, like out in the boondocks, the people are very nice. There's not "mafias and cartel people" at every street corner waiting to mug you. The people there are just regular folk like you and me. Making a living, raising families, going to church, etc..... Don't paint all of Mexico by the drum-beat stuff you see on the news @ the border cities or slums of the big cities. It's like anywhere in the world: You can get in trouble if you're part of a drug smuggle thing, or looking for girls in the wrong part of town, etc....

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom i see your went south of the border now we miss u in the philippines where the big treasures are a good laugh ....MEXICO.....posibilities scared of what ?? oh they closed the border ...hunted to death and picked to the bones ...at least you can learn spanish or maybe find a gurl thats the real treasure or is it the smoke ...well Good luck from the rain forest

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is quite correct. Everyone in my town knows that I was in the Border Patrol, so far nothing. But it has only been 60 years.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s far as Tayopa is concerned how about $ 1,000,000,000 which was stockpilled by the Jesuits to finance the reveloution against Spain to take north America away from Spain. There are mnay many others, some large, some small, but there are enough to keep you busy for years.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
RoT (like that, eh?), you really might consider not luring innocents with tales of Mexican riches. There is always a young fool who thinks he will sneak around, just looking. I have known gringos who moved around freely in Mexico ("Van" Fossen is/was a good example) and they always had the best local contacts. It is NOT to get out of a difficulty, it to avoid such to begin with.
I was kinda safe as I was known as a 'detective' due to ignoring pistols pointed at my chest, not recommended for youngsters. Even so I was finally corralled by the Federales, I abandoned my house and have never returned. A typical Federale works for ~6 years and will extort and rob anyone as they accumulate their stash to buy a ranch and cows. A gringo in such a zone will eventually be targeted, just how it works in Mexico.

Bill

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
A gringo in such a zone will eventually be targeted, just how it works in Mexico.

Bill

Never been my experience or anyone that works our ranches.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ah, Mexico. I drove down there in the early 70s when the world was young. Some things you don’t forget. Remember seeing a Volkswagen in flames along the road, also dead horses and cows (no fences along the highways). AAA warned about driving at night because of that and the fact that many Mexican vehicles did not have working headlights. I saw cars and trucks, even buses, passing other vehicles on curves when they could not possibly have seen oncoming traffic. You could always tell when you where approaching a gas station - would see 10-15 cars gathered along the roadside. I noticed that the cashiers at toll roads and bridges always had backup- soldiers with rifles. Not too many traffic lights or signs - they slowed or stopped you with super-sized speed bumps. Returning back thru Eagle Pass , Texas I thought the US border people would disassemble my car, they were determined to find drugs and seemed disappointed when they didn’t. In hindsight I sometimes wondered what was I thinking especially as my Spanish is mucho malo. Definitely was a learning experience!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread