Butch Cassidy wanted poster

Mitchell001

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this Butch Cassidy wanted poster, and I was wondering if it was real? Let me know what you think. image.jpg C2381571-9561-4D2B-A973-6A6FB149A3EF.jpeg 8D5A6C57-0905-49FF-813E-1AE610102BF6.jpeg

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Always love finding other similar
tn_02.gif
member finds...

tn_metal_detector.gif
Read this part of the thread...

Cool find! :thumbsup:

It looks like the right paper. The condition isn't very good with the tobacco staining but these things are pretty rare. Two things set off little questions in my mind - the border at the bottom seems extra long and the type on the left bottom curved down slightly on the originals I've seen. Your pictures are pretty small and I'm only knowledgeable because I've seen several at auction, I'm not an expert. Compare your poster to this known original in the Wyoming State University collection.

My gut instinct says you probably have the real thing. If so I'd guess with the current condition at a good auction house on the right day you might get $6,000 - $10,000?

If it was mine I'd run it by Jemison Beshear, he used to work with Greg Martin and with Bonhams and Butterfields in the San Francisco house. He really knows this stuff better than you or I and he's got the connections to find a buyer for you.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mitchell, to authenticate an item such as that poster requires that
it be physically available to the person doing the evaluation.

Paper, ink, font style..hell, a hundred different checks would need
to be done for an actual authentication.

Anybody here is just taking a (usually) uneducated guess without
the slightest bit (other than an image) of empirical data available.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say no because of the Font used but definitely seek a pro to look at it. Send close up photos to ha.com Heritage works wonders with photos.

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was it found ? It might help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread