Al Capone Hunt

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
K-man. I just received your message about Al Capone's hideout and here is what I plan on doing. I found this place by accident about 10 years ago (I was not back into metal detecting at the time) and looked into buying the property. The place sits on 1200 acres, 2 lakes,and was absolutely beautiful. To bad treasure hunters(not md types but souvenir types) and partiers trashed the place. I do not have the owners phone number but I do know where his business is. In the middle of April I will be going up north to turkey hunt and I will stop in at his business and talk to him about detecting on the property. Hopefully he will grant me permission and I will then set up a hunt and invite a hand full of T-neters.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tabfinder. What does Fort McClellan, Al mean to you. I waw stationed there for 4 years. Where are you located now if your close to the Al Capone property?

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
PJ;
Good 'ol Ft. McClellan....basic training...1980. Military Police for 8 years. I am as far north in Indiana as you can get before crossing into Michigan....I am 1/10th of a mile from the line. So....close enough! ;D

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tabfinder. What a coincidence. My wife and I were stationed with the 365th Trans Co at McClellan from 1980 to 1984. We used to support the mp's with trucks and jeeps. I put my 20 years in and I am retired in 1999. My bride is still in and is 21 months short of 30 years. She will retire in Dec of 2009.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
K-man. Iwill be going up north on the 19th of April and hopefully get permission then. If I obtain permission, I will schedule a hunt for a weekend in May. I intend on keeping it small so I do not wear out my welcome. I'll let you know when I get back from hunting. PJ

mrhaz

Jul 26, 2007
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through MP School at McClellan in the lovely Summer of 1978! Small world kinda stuff. I was kinda suprised when I heard it had been closed. I ca't even recognize any landmarks utilizing Google Earth. It has been 30 years though!

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
JUnior 967. Just like I said on 10 March- I will be going up there turkey hunting in the middle of April and will stop in by the owner and ask his permission to detect it.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Here is the status of the Al Capone property hunt. My father shot his turkey on Thursday, so I did not have to go up north. I had my brother stop at the owners business (75 miles away from the Capone property) and get the owners phone # on the way home. As I had mentioned before, I have not been back on this property since I looked at buying it 10 years ago. Well I called the owner today and he no longer owns the company that I received the # for. So now what I need to do is find the coordinates to the property and write a letter to the county and they will give me the owners name address and phone #. I apologize guys. I thought I would have received permission this week. It will probably take another week or two. I will not give up. PJ

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
PJ in WI said:
Here is the status of the Al Capone property hunt. My father shot his turkey on Thursday, so I did not have to go up north. I had my brother stop at the owners business (75 miles away from the Capone property) and get the owners phone # on the way home. As I had mentioned before, I have not been back on this property since I looked at buying it 10 years ago. Well I called the owner today and he no longer owns the company that I received the # for. So now what I need to do is find the coordinates to the property and write a letter to the county and they will give me the owners name address and phone #. I apologize guys. I thought I would have received permission this week. It will probably take another week or two. I will not give up. PJ

you can usually also get the info off the county property records from the internet. good luck

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bridge End Farm. Tell me how to do that please. I have the street names, on the location on a Marinette county map but I do not have the coordinates. Thanks PJ

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
PJ in WI said:
Bridge End Farm. Tell me how to do that please. I have the street names, on the location on a Marinette county map but I do not have the coordinates. Thanks PJ

ok lets see if I can get you a close link hang on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread