I Went Swinging at the Park today and Picked up a Cute Little Soccer Mom!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Now ordinarily when I go detecting, anywhere, I pretty much stay to myself and mind my own business. I just swing my detector and dig up my targets (when digging is necessary). Of course there are those times that people just insist on being sociable and chatting up the guy with the gadget. Little kids like to follow us around, some of them even try to help dig when we stop to investigate a target. Animals, though wary of us keep a watchfull eye as well. Today started off as one of those "ordinary" detecting days, but the soccer complex had some surprises for me.
One surprise today was the mild autumn temperatures, it was downright cool out today with the light breeze blowing. I might aught to have worn long pants and maybe even a sweatshirt or jacket, but there I was, in my shorts and tee-shirt, just like I was all summer. Fortunately for me, I'm still rather hot blooded, I didn't mind the cooler temperatures so much. Everyone else in the park though seemed to be dressing for the cooler climate brought in by the recent cold front. Not that there were that many people at the soccer complex this afternoon when I got to the park, just a few people jogging, some walking their dogs, and a few teams practicing on some of the soccer fields. I of course didn't detect on any of the fields that were in use, in fact I only detected a few sidelines today, didn't have a whole lot of time after going to the hospital again to see my mom who's recovering from a recent surgery.
Yeah.. surprises indeed! First surprise was the number of FREAKIN' PULL TABS I found today!

10-2-08 011.jpg

I must have dug up well on two hundred of them in just under two hours! Along with quite a few nickles. The most of that coin that I've found in a while too.. of course they ring up on my Prizm IV in the "nickle" range..just like the pull tabs. <rolling eyes> SOooo many pull tabs.. of course some of them turned out to be REAL nickles. I found a LOT of pennies today too.. No wheaties.. <shrug> and many of them were fairly well on their way to melting or dissolving away.. this one in particular was almost gone!

10-2-08 003shard.jpg

I've never found one that was so nearly completely dissolved away as this one. I wonder if the bank would give me an exchange. <shrug>
I found other miscellaneous bits and pieces of metal too.. a Inflator needle for pumping up "soccer" balls or footballs or basket balls?.. and a BROKEN inflator needle too.. bits of ballpoint pens.. hair clasps.. even a cute little silver earring. No proof stamp on this one, so it may not be solid silver.. oh well. I also found another "Parking" token.. wonder where these things come from..

10-2-08 010token.JPG

I found a few quarters, a bunch of dimes! And.. as I mentioned a LOT of pennies and a handfull of nickles.
Oh.. and the primer end of a 12 gauge shotgun shell.

10-2-08 005shot.jpg

Here's all my clad for the day..

10-2-08 002clad.jpg

That's $7.56 in clad.. not counting the penny "shard".. in less than two hours!!! Wooo HOOO!!! I was having a good day. Of course it was an abbreviated day, as my dearest wife was expecting me home to make dinner for us and my father tonight. And my being the good husband that I am I headed for the truck at almost the two hour mark.. swinging and detecting as I go. Well.. as it turns out I happened upon this cute little soccer mom on my way. I just had to stop and admire her after she caught my attention. Yeah.. the good husband that I am... I wonder how much trouble I would be in if I picked her up and took her home with me....?? hmmm...?? So.. I DID! Boy! Was my wife going to be SURPRISED! "Oh honey.. I brought this cute little soccer mom home with me.. I hope you don't mind.. too much.."

<laughing> YEAH RIGHT!

here's my "cute little Soccer Mom"..

10-2-08 004Mom.jpg

GOT YA! <grin> YEah.. she's cute, and she's little.. a charm I suspect, from a bracelet perhaps. And.. she's SILVER check out the tiny little proof stamp on the back..

10-2-08 007proof.jpg

And closer..

10-2-08 007closeproof.jpg

I need a magnifying glass to see some of these stamps and hallmarks.. that or I'm just getting old, and my eyesight is failing.. NAHH.. just tiny.. <grin>

Here's the other stuff I found.. minus most of the can slaw and other crap that just went right into the trash can on my way off the soccer fields.

10-2-08 004stuff.jpg

Well it was a short hunt.. but a productive one. I wonder what else I might have "picked up" had I had more time to detect today. *sigh* Well the soccer fields will still be there next week when I'm off work again. Perhaps I'll go hunting again.. Wonder if there are any more cute little soccer moms out there just waiting to be picked up. <giggle>

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and clad count! The soccer Mom pendant is an appropriate find, LOL. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Saturna said:
I especially like this parking token with the vintage car on it :icon_sunny:

Jay

I thought it was kind of cool too. I've found several of these tokens over the past year and a half or so of detecting.. I've not been metal detecting that long you see.. but not all at this one park. I've found them in other towns and parks around my area as well as this particular park. I noted in my post that I have no idea where they come from as I've never seen anywhere around here (Lexington) that issues them. <shrug> I'm sure someone knows where they come from, but I've yet to hear about it. It's a mystery! <grin> The tokes have "No Cash Value" as they so clearly state on one side, but they are still a small thrill to find. I'll just add this one to my growing collection of tokens and foriegn coins.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
I like the mackerel fish!

? <puzzled expression> ? Mackerel? <chuckle> OoooooKayyyyyy . I like Salmon too.. but I've not found any of them metal detecting either. What kind of detector are you using there Plehbah? <grin>

Happy Fishing..er.. Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
HunterInTheSky said:
You sure are the dedicated sanitation engineer. Great persistence. Great finds. :thumbsup:

I'll have to remember that job title.. <grin> "Sanitation Engineer"... kind of has a ring to it doesn't it? <grin>

Thanks Hunter!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

A

archaeon

how many times have you heard this: "if you find any gold, it's mine" :D ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That soccer Mom's a keeper for sure, Fro! :icon_sunny: Like that token too!

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Nana40 said:
That soccer Mom's a keeper for sure, Fro! :icon_sunny: Like that token too!

Nana :wink:

Yeah I liked it.. and it being silver is always a plus! My wife was amused at my bringing home a "Soccer Mom" too.. but you'd think she'd be used to my antics by now. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Nice batch of clad Frodov! You didn't fool me on the soccer mom, I just had to read the post to find out what your latest trick was. LOL Nice hunting! It takes me a full day to find that much clad.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Prober said:
Nice batch of clad Frodov! You didn't fool me on the soccer mom, I just had to read the post to find out what your latest trick was. LOL Nice hunting! It takes me a full day to find that much clad.

"Trick"? What do you mean by "trick" <grinning> As for taking a longer time to find as much clad and junk, I have days like that too. I mean I'm not charmed or anything, I just happen to have found some rather target rich search sites with these soccer fields. That and having a pretty good detector helps. I may not have used many different kinds of detectors in my long (year and a half) history of detecting, but I know my little Prizm IV is a gem! Coupled with the bullseye pin pointer, some good knee pads, the Prizm IV detector I use will keep me finding stuff. Like they keep saying on "The X- Files".. (well..sort of..) "It's OUT there!.." we just have to find the time to go find it and pick it up. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Nice haul frodov. Like the parking token :thumbsup:

It's not the first token of that type that I've found. I have found several of those and many other tokens in the past year and a half or so that I've been metal detecting. I think I'm going to have to build a shadow box or display of some sort to put them all in.. to share with anyone else that's interested. <grin> Oh Hoh hoh! I bet that'll make my wife happy.. to have row after row of display cabinets or shadow boxes on the walls showing off the "junk" that I've found so far.. <laughing> We shall see!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread