Hit Promising New site Today and found a VERY UNUSUAL FIND: THE IMAGE OF A MAN!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up my friends! Well, I decided to hit a new spot that had been a camp site and such during the Civil War. It was a construction site that we got permission to hunt and they had just pulled off the dirt to about two-three feet down. I detected for only about half an hour, not alot of finds but did find this whittled minie, brass buckle, small arms bullet , this 1863 Indian Head and also this amazing piece of pewter with a terrific image of a man on it (in Intaglio)....Now this site was an 1860s site....all the bottles and relics pulled date to 1860s. I haven't been able to I.D. the man on this plate but it would add ALOT of provenance if I could. Its not often that you pull the image of a man from long ago out of the ground. I've never dug anything like it or seen anything quite like it dug by anyone else that I have known over the years :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:....Hope y'all like :wink: :wink: :wink: Also, does he have long hair or short? I say short but my girl says long......I can see where it looks like it may be long but I am pretty sure its short....What do you think?? The last picture I dabbed some water on my finger and rubbed it over the surface to make the image come out alittle better...

Attachments

• MD Pics 287.jpg
    MD Pics 287.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 716
  • MD Pics 291.jpg
    MD Pics 291.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 722
  • MD Pics 290.jpg
    MD Pics 290.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 700
  • MD Pics 294.jpg
    MD Pics 294.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 707
  • Man on Pewter.JPG
    Man on Pewter.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 666
  • MD Pics 296.jpg
    MD Pics 296.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 665
Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Re: Hit Promising New site Today and found a VERY UNUSUAL FIND!!

Sen - AWESOME!!! That's all I can say about the "man". Great digs all around but that piece is truly awesome.
Congrats... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You sure come up with some super finds. That image is something else. Thanks for sharing.

Burdie

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is definitely an unusual find. Nice hunt!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vegasmetsfan

Feb 22, 2008
LAS VEGAS
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKER IV
Re: Hit Promising New site Today and found a VERY UNUSUAL FIND: LAZARUS???!!

Would love to know more if you find out info on the plate..awesome finds :D :D :D

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats an amazing piece of pewter never seen anything like it, I didnt find a 1863 indian today but I bought one in EF condition for only 12 bucks at a yard sale. cool finds good luck on your next hunt!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

collector_1 said:
Thats an amazing piece of pewter never seen anything like it, I didnt find a 1863 indian today but I bought one in EF condition for only 12 bucks at a yard sale. cool finds good luck on your next hunt!

Thas a good snag on that Indian Head. The Civil War years are my favorite

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hit Promising New site Today and found a VERY UNUSUAL FIND: The image of a Man

WoW cool finds.Well done. :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hit Promising New site Today and found a VERY UNUSUAL FIND: The image of a Man

Cool, Senti!!! I'm going to go along with your girl. I think he's got long hair too...and some whiskers. Also notice the type of tie he's got and the way his collar is shaped.
Very good keepers today!!! Nana :)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice finds!! It is pewter?? It looks hand carved... that would be something if it was a solder's carved chunk of lead... pretty cool no mater what it is!!

MB

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well Dang...you did great! Love that picture. I wonder, think it was used in printing, like for a newspaper? Hmmm? And I see short hair, based on the hair around the ears. That is so cool!!!

Congrats on some wonderful finds, never a post from you that isn't amazing!!!

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
Well Dang...you did great! Love that picture. I wonder, think it was used in printing, like for a newspaper? Hmmm? And I see short hair, based on the hair around the ears. That is so cool!!!

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

I was going to say it looks like printing blocks I have found before. :thumbsup:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would give you a ten thumbs up for that face if I had ten thumbs. Outstanding find. Since you found a carved three ringer along with it, maybe it was done and lost by a soldier. Outstanding. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly remarkable finds. The rarity of the piece of the man I'm sure is just that... rare. Outstanding finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Nice finds!! It is pewter?? It looks hand carved... that would be something if it was a solder's carved chunk of lead... pretty cool no mater what it is!!

MB

Hey MonkeyBoy. Thats my guess but I am open. It came out of the ground looking like it is with hardly any patina and I know tha pewter doesn't really tarnish or get a patina on it...So thats my guess....it is much stronger than lead and very neat

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

Thanks Annmarie, hope you are doing well!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Ron and Ann said:

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

I was going to say it looks like printing blocks I have found before. :thumbsup:

Yes, indeed it does a bit but that would seem alittle out of place where I found it...but never know....The thought did cross my mind when I referred to it as being in the "Intaglio" style. Sure wish I could I.D the guy

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
Goodness Gracious, those ALL are incredibly awesome finds! :thumbsup:

On the carved picture - what does the back of the item look like? There is no writing to give you an idea of the time frame?

Again awesome!

:D
~ May you ALWAYS be Blessed & may you ALWAYS Bless others ~

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds and I wonder who that strange figure of a man is ???

If anyone can I.D. please feel free

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread