Another Indian from the 1836 McDonald home Bullet and button ID help please!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening fellow detectorists. Just got from a run to Houston, Texas Sat. After a well deserved rest I just had to get out for a hunt even though the ground is dry down to a least 10 inches. But for some reason I am still able to pull coins out where I have hunted over and over. So I decided to head back to the 1836 McDonald farm I have been hunting all summer. I just know there is stuff still in the ground. Since the weather has cooled down and the bugs are leaving me alone I am able to detect much more slower and throughly. No sweat to rub off nor bitting insects. Todays hunt makes the 7th Indian from this place and I'm sure there are many more. I just have to lure them out. Today's Indian was only down 4 inches and I suspected modern clad. But to my joy, out pops a 1887 Indian in great shape. It did not clean up as nice as my other ones for some reason. I know many of you are saying to yourself,"what's wrong with that"? Later I found a bullet that looks to be civil war era or very old. I found it near where I found the civil war button back in July. I also found a large button with no marks. When I saw that in the hole my heart raced as I thought it was another LC. The button is copper but no marks anywhere. Enjoy the pics and be safe out there. Ron

Picture382-5.jpg

Picture809.jpg

Picture810.jpg

Picture811.jpg

Picture812.jpg

Picture814.jpg

Picture815.jpg

Picture818.jpg

Picture819.jpg

Picture817.jpg

Picture821.jpg

Picture824.jpg

Picture823.jpg

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Re: Another Indian from the 1836 McDonald home Bullet and button ID help please!

Looks like a really good place to hunt!

I like the flat button. I've not found one yet :icon_scratch:. I've found a large cent, but no flat buttons... kinda backwards huh?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Another Indian from the 1836 McDonald home Bullet and button ID help please!

cheese said:

I like the flat button. I've not found one yet :icon_scratch:. I've found a large cent, but no flat buttons... kinda backwards huh?

That is kinda backwards! My ratio is roughly 10 buttons for every old copper coin. I have found more than 40 buttons this year!

As far as I can tell the button in the picture appears to be a common flat button. If it is bigger than a half dollar it may be a "Dandy" button, which were popular from about 1790-1800. You may try to look at the back under different lighting conditions. Sometimes you will see a faint back mark that you missed before. Another method is to clean the button back using the "skewer method". Here is the link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html Let me know how you make out!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craz that indian is in excellent shape. You can see the indents in feathers and ready libery. I think 1887 was a good year for indian heads. Woth $7 retail according to my book.

Nice hunt

SKD
WeDigOhio

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Neil in West Jersey said:
cheese said:

That is kinda backwards! My ratio is roughly 10 buttons for every old copper coin. I have found more than 40 buttons this year!

As far as I can tell the button in the picture appears to be a common flat button. If it is bigger than a half dollar it may be a "Dandy" button, which were popular from about 1790-1800. You may try to look at the back under different lighting conditions. Sometimes you will see a faint back mark that you missed before. Another method is to clean the button back using the "skewer method". Here is the link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html Let me know how you make out!

Appears to be a dandy button. Tried the skewer method and there is nothing there. The is a little bit of guilding left on the back. Its a little larger than a half dollar, but it is a button because the back thingy is there for the thread.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice Injun there...Go scalp some more from that place! :tongue3: jgas

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

crazyjarhead said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
cheese said:

Appears to be a dandy button. Tried the skewer method and there is nothing there. The is a little bit of guilding left on the back. Its a little larger than a half dollar, but it is a button because the back thingy is there for the thread.

FYI the "back thingy" is called a shank.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 1780s Dandy button to me.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice Indian CJH! Looks like a peacefull place to swing. Good luck on future hunts there and be be carefull out in that big rig
Jerry

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron,
Your persistence paid off for you. Super looking IH. :thumbsup:
Any ID's on that bullet yet?
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
Your persistence paid off for you. Super looking IH. :thumbsup:
Any ID's on that bullet yet?
Congrats,
MM

Not on the bullet but the button is a dandy button. The house was built in 1836. Early inhabitants of the area date from around that time. If the button dates from 1790-1800's then I am not sure :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
Looks like a 1780s Dandy button to me.

Thanks crusader. It's definately a flat, plain button with shank. Appears to be copper. Not iron. You can tell by the sound when you lay it down on the counter top.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your bullet is post CW. The crimp marks on the bullet date it to post war. As to the button, it was probably made in the 1840s to 1860s, but that is just a guess. Sometimes the backmark on the coin buttons can help you date the button. Many times they are plain or just say extra quality.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
The IH cleaned up pretty good. The bullet looks to be post Civil War. The button is a nice find. :thumbsup:
Dman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread