1872 Indian Head found at Ohio ghost town

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
WeaponsUSMC invited me up to his neck of the woods to detect an old ghost town. The beans were harvested, the old railroad depot was marked on an arial photo and the lay of the land was explained to me. We started out on the site of the old railroad depot. Lots of iron targets. I dug several spikes, nails and such trying not to miss any cool relics. While I was digging up the trash, WeaponsUSMC was digging the goodies. When I got home I got this message, "Hey steve, thanks for comming up today, both those buttons turned out to be nice ones, the other button turned out to be Civil War Union general service coat button, im cleaning the IH now to make sure what the date is." I'd get a good signal and dig a piece of copper wire while my host was finding some exciting buttons including a CRP&L railroad button and the Civil War button. Although somewhat out of the area, the button appears to be from The Columbus Railway Power & Light. After moving away from the depot area and behind where a home once stood I got a nice square tab reading on the Fisher CZ-5. This is often the kind of reading I get on older Indian Heads in mineralized or fertilizer filled grounds. I soon dug a small green disc, I still don't know what it is after hot peroxide and tumbling. A lot more scanning and finally another nice square tab reading. I dig up another small green disc except this one has a clear date of 1872 :o. I knew that was a good date. Later I managed an 1865 IH and my host came up with an 1863. Over all it was a very fun day out relic hunting, something I don't often do. I can't pass up any opportunity to find old coins or tokens. The surprising thing is that no silver has been found on this site yet and it's been hit several times. Thanks WeaponsUSMC, next time we'll hit my old picnic grounds.
1872IndianHead.jpg

reverse1872IH.jpg

Any ideas on what I should do to this coin? It has little wear but lots of corrosion. It's a semi-key date and I don't know if I should use the hot peroxide or what.

Upvote 0

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Hey Steve, I would have traded that RR button for a semi-key date indian head penny any day of the week, heck, would have rather dug the 72 than both the buttons lol. It was a great day for digging and I know there are still plenty of targets left to dig, specially after I can buy a small 4 or 6" coil. Any time you feel the need to dig relics, let me know, your welcome here anytime. I am also working on a 150 house 1800's ghost town, the town is now down to 3 homes, at one time it was a mile long, so I am told.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find buddy :thumbsup:
I can't help you with cleaning it...cause I'm always afraid I'll screw mine up when I try. I use peroxide on the normal ones...but I'd be afraid to damage that one.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Peroxide couldn't hurt it too bad DD....But I'd get a second opinion ;D Nice find!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
DD-777 said:
Nice digs Dayton! Wish I had a ghost town... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, do some research and you'll probably find ghost towns near you. Towns came and went along old railways, canals etc.. We have one ghost nearby that was very successful in the mid 1800's through the early 1900's. A major road, railroad, river and canal passed through town. A catastrophic flood came through and wiped out the canal, the road/bridge, the railroad and the town. The railroad and road were relocated and the canal was never rebuilt, so the town never rebuilt.
ps..."Shop smart, shop S-MART" ....................those who don't get it, it refers to DD-777"s avatar

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
WeaponsUSMC said:
Hey Steve, I would have traded that RR button for a semi-key date indian head penny any day of the week, heck, would have rather dug the 72 than both the buttons lol. It was a great day for digging and I know there are still plenty of targets left to dig, specially after I can buy a small 4 or 6" coil. Any time you feel the need to dig relics, let me know, your welcome here anytime. I am also working on a 150 house 1800's ghost town, the town is now down to 3 homes, at one time it was a mile long, so I am told.
I considered making that trade offer Sunday, but I needed that 1872 for my coin album and who knows if I'll ever find another. I'd be happy to make that trip again sometime, especially for a 150 house ghost town. ;D Let me know when you want to hit my picnic grounds, I went today and dug 3 mercs, 1 roosie, 1907 Indian and lots of wheats.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
silverfreak said:
Nice find buddy :thumbsup:
I can't help you with cleaning it...cause I'm always afraid I'll screw mine up when I try. I use peroxide on the normal ones...but I'd be afraid to damage that one.
Thanks, this one is not rare enough to have it professionally cleaned, but too rare for me to screw up. I'll probably try the peroxide I guess.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is much you can do about cleaning it. I would just leave it alone....

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread