1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Went exploring for new spots on Sunday with my brother-in law, DigginitRTB. You would never know this place was there, only 20-30 yds. off the main trail we walk on. We found a stone wall running approx. 100 yds. long along the side of the main trail and thought it was part of a close by foundation. Thought we would check it out anyway and Rich said he thought he found what was a cellar hole. Called me over and sure enough it was. Found a nice button, a trigger guard to an old musket, and this King George III 1783 copper. Couple things are different on this one. The "S" in GEORGIVS is backwards,(almost looks like a "2"), the 3 in the date is slightly seperated from the rest of the date, and the dot after "REX" is below the bust. The shirt or breast of King George is also different from the dies I've looked at. More or less looks like a series of 6 crescent moons. sorry the scans don't look that good but there is alot of detail left on this coin. Also, the back shield is tipped more than the other die varieties I've looked at. :icon_scratch: Can someone help with ID on this one? :icon_study: Thanks HOGGE Saw 2 other posts from Sunday with King George coppers. Musta been the day for these! UPDATE: In recent days this coin has been positively ID'd as a CFT 25-83A one of ONLY 3,(mine being the third), known to exist. I would first like to thank Iron Patch, and Don in SJ, for without their time and help this would NOT have been possible.This site is AWESOME! And would also like to acknowledge the help of PBK and Jeff of PA with the help on my British Belt Tip. Through Don's knowledge and contacts in the Colonial Collectors world, a DEFINITE, POSITIVE, ID on this coin was possible. Byron Weston of PSU, and Gary Trudgen of "The Colonial Coin Collectors Club" have ID'd this coin and want to do a write up for the C4 Newsletter and Colonial Newsletter on this discovery. I WILL be attending the C4 Convention in Boston the week of Nov. 14-17 with the Ryder 7 Vermont, the British Cartridge Box Belt Tip, the 25-83A, and other CFT coppers found this yr. Tony Carlotto will be contacted to take some better pics and do weight and measurements for them for the newsletter. From what these guys are telling me, over the past couple of days with numerous EMails, the example I have is in better condition than the second known example. They want to compare weight, diameter, and die rotation to the other examples. This whole run of LUCK I've had in the last month has been like a dream. There are several people these guys want me to see, and talk to when I attend the C4. I can't wait! THIS COIN IS IN BETTER CONDITION THAN THE SCAN SHOWS! I HATE MY SCANNER! Anyways, Good Luck to all, and many Thanks to ALL who helped me!

Attachments

• oc06-001.jpg
    oc06-001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8,507
  • oc06-003.jpg
    oc06-003.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8,417
  • oc06-002.jpg
    oc06-002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8,437
  • oc06-004.jpg
    oc06-004.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8,519
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Congrats Hogge on the sale! I'm sure you have read the comments by the C4 guys and the overall impression I have gotten from the sale is that the economy did effect the sale. I also got the impression that some of the bigger dealers did rather well buying up items at relatively low prices, but that is better than an item not selling. As IP has said, you went from free to a nice amount and you do sound satisfied with the result. I do sometimes wonder if private sales are not better than auctions, my personal experience is limited to 4 transactions, but 3 of them were private and I was more than satisfied and one was an auction that did not get as much as I was told to expect.........

As far as the question of Heritage versus Stacks, I believe as far as coins go, and especially Colonials that the buyers/collectors have more trust in Stacks than Heritage.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Congrats Hogge on the sale! I'm sure you have read the comments by the C4 guys and the overall impression I have gotten from the sale is that the economy did effect the sale. I also got the impression that some of the bigger dealers did rather well buying up items at relatively low prices, but that is better than an item not selling. As IP has said, you went from free to a nice amount and you do sound satisfied with the result. I do sometimes wonder if private sales are not better than auctions, my personal experience is limited to 4 transactions, but 3 of them were private and I was more than satisfied and one was an auction that did not get as much as I was told to expect.........

As far as the question of Heritage versus Stacks, I believe as far as coins go, and especially Colonials that the buyers/collectors have more trust in Stacks than Heritage.

Don

There are many more factors too...

-Coin isn't as rare now.

-Mike Ringo owned the last and was sold with many many high quality counterfeits so you know the buyers were ready.

-There's always a little voice telling a buyer more may come on the market.

I have several more but will leave it at that. I did the same thing a couple months ago as Hogge did, just on a much smaller level. I turned down $200 for a coin and sent it to auction and it got $80. You do kick yourself a little for a short time, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing what the auction brought. Selling private only to see that person flip it for a huge profit by going to auction is a much greater pain.

PS... I follow these a lot and $3,750 is a very good price for a counterfeit, and a great one for a dug coin. I believe the hammer price is MUCH closer to the true value than the one that sold for near 11k.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One more thing is I think one of the fees must automatically come off the hammer price because I swear the coin was $4,000 just seconds before the auction ended. So it sold for that, not $3,750. Did anyone else see this?

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

i just want to congratulate you Hogge on a great find you made on that coin and very nice profit you made on hobby you love to do for free , i don' t think it gets much better than making money from something you love to do :thumbsup:, Dan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leddel said:
i just want to congratulate you Hogge on a great find you made on that coin and very nice profit you made on hobby you love to do for free , i don' t think it gets much better than making money from something you love to do :thumbsup:, Dan

I prefer free-love. :-*

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

CRUSADER said:
leddel said:

CRUSADER Love is never FREE!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

G1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Golden1 said:
CRUSADER said:
leddel said:

CRUSADER Love is never FREE!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

G1

well I guess the batteries do cost money

rtru

Jan 10, 2009
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Currently: Garrett AT Pro
Former detectors include: Fisher CZ-7A (fav), White's XLT, White's 6000 Di-Pro, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro something, o-l-d Compass.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
One more thing is I think one of the fees must automatically come off the hammer price because I swear the coin was $4,000 even seconds before the auction ended. So it sold for that, not $3,750. Did anyone else see this?

Yeah I did.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rtru said:
Iron Patch said:
One more thing is I think one of the fees must automatically come off the hammer price because I swear the coin was $4,000 even seconds before the auction ended. So it sold for that, not $3,750. Did anyone else see this?

Yeah I did.

Maybe it's was a $4,000 bid, but dropped at the end to beat the next highest. Maybe just a little different than Ebay where you never see the persons max bid. If that is the case it could really get the seller excited for nothing, imagine seeing it flash $10,000 only to drop to under half at close.

skunemonk

Mar 6, 2006

Hey Hogge,Congrats on the sale.It's a great feeling to find a 200+ year old coin.Even better when you can make some serious $$ from our hobby. I know what it feels like. congrats on all your great finds. :thumbsup:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the sale. :thumbsup: You still have the most valuable part of your find anyway, the hunt.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Hogge,

I have been in Las Vegas for a conference this week, but I rushed back to my hotel room to find out what happened with your auction. With what is going on with the economy, you should be very happy with the results of the auction!

Keep on digging! It is so exciting to see a dug coin (a counterfeit!) sell for so much!

Take care and congratulations!
Neil

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Neil. Glad to see so many were interested in this. :thumbsup:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Update: PICS 1783 Ringo 25-83A "Stacks Americana Auction" Jan.15-16 2009

hogge said:
Now it's up to Stacks Auctions and whomever wants it the most! :thumbsup:

Amazing stuff brother, I can't wait to see what it sells for!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
rtru said:
Iron Patch said:

Yeah I did.

Maybe it's was a $4,000 bid, but dropped at the end to beat the next highest. Maybe just a little different than Ebay where you never see the persons max bid. If that is the case it could really get the seller excited for nothing, imagine seeing it flash $10,000 only to drop to under half at close.

$4,312.50
is what it now says was the price realised!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
rtru said:
Iron Patch said:

Yeah I did.

$4,312.50
is what it now says was the price realised!

When there is both online bidding as well as the floor it isn't really a surprise if it can't all happen in real time. (If that's the reason why)

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Hogge, excellent find and I know you're happy with the selling price but I was sure it would go higher than it did......I, like others have said, believe the economy was a huge factor..........

I saw that you mentioned that you'd like to also now sell your Vermont Copper and while I don't know if your financial situation warrants selling some of your finds I just wanted to mention that back in the early 90's I was in need of money and sold some of my best Liberty Cap and Draped Bust Large Cents along with a few nice Conn and NJ coppers (privately) and although the cash was nice at the time I truly regret selling them because when I show my finds to my friends now all I have is stories to tell about "what I used to have".

Although I have developed a nice dug collection since then it would be so much nicer to have my complete "career" collection.

Just food for thought but I do get some satisfaction by knowing that my sold dug coins are giving enjoyment to someone else.

HH all,

Greg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really don't think the economy has much to do with it compared to other things. There's still plenty of money being spent on the most desired coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread