1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Went exploring for new spots on Sunday with my brother-in law, DigginitRTB. You would never know this place was there, only 20-30 yds. off the main trail we walk on. We found a stone wall running approx. 100 yds. long along the side of the main trail and thought it was part of a close by foundation. Thought we would check it out anyway and Rich said he thought he found what was a cellar hole. Called me over and sure enough it was. Found a nice button, a trigger guard to an old musket, and this King George III 1783 copper. Couple things are different on this one. The "S" in GEORGIVS is backwards,(almost looks like a "2"), the 3 in the date is slightly seperated from the rest of the date, and the dot after "REX" is below the bust. The shirt or breast of King George is also different from the dies I've looked at. More or less looks like a series of 6 crescent moons. sorry the scans don't look that good but there is alot of detail left on this coin. Also, the back shield is tipped more than the other die varieties I've looked at. :icon_scratch: Can someone help with ID on this one? :icon_study: Thanks HOGGE Saw 2 other posts from Sunday with King George coppers. Musta been the day for these! UPDATE: In recent days this coin has been positively ID'd as a CFT 25-83A one of ONLY 3,(mine being the third), known to exist. I would first like to thank Iron Patch, and Don in SJ, for without their time and help this would NOT have been possible.This site is AWESOME! And would also like to acknowledge the help of PBK and Jeff of PA with the help on my British Belt Tip. Through Don's knowledge and contacts in the Colonial Collectors world, a DEFINITE, POSITIVE, ID on this coin was possible. Byron Weston of PSU, and Gary Trudgen of "The Colonial Coin Collectors Club" have ID'd this coin and want to do a write up for the C4 Newsletter and Colonial Newsletter on this discovery. I WILL be attending the C4 Convention in Boston the week of Nov. 14-17 with the Ryder 7 Vermont, the British Cartridge Box Belt Tip, the 25-83A, and other CFT coppers found this yr. Tony Carlotto will be contacted to take some better pics and do weight and measurements for them for the newsletter. From what these guys are telling me, over the past couple of days with numerous EMails, the example I have is in better condition than the second known example. They want to compare weight, diameter, and die rotation to the other examples. This whole run of LUCK I've had in the last month has been like a dream. There are several people these guys want me to see, and talk to when I attend the C4. I can't wait! THIS COIN IS IN BETTER CONDITION THAN THE SCAN SHOWS! I HATE MY SCANNER! Anyways, Good Luck to all, and many Thanks to ALL who helped me!

Attachments

• oc06-001.jpg
    oc06-001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8,505
  • oc06-003.jpg
    oc06-003.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8,415
  • oc06-002.jpg
    oc06-002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8,435
  • oc06-004.jpg
    oc06-004.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8,517
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Don in SJ said:
Congrats to Hogge on finding a counterfeit KGIII that is so far rarer than the 1784 Machins Mills copper Vlack 14-84A which always causes excitement in the colonial coin world when found. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (Note, rarity like that does not always equate into more value, depends on collector interest, condition and demand)

Don

I knew it had potential, seen a lot of counterfeit Georgies and no 1783s. Pretty small crowd that are serious buyers for these but maybe someone will want it. If only it had the condition!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just read your update and that is pretty awesome news. You know you have a good find when others are excited about it, and if the others are those guys... yeah be excited! You no doubt are on the site of your lifetime, keep digging it! If it's a small site and even if there is basically no signals left take your shovel and bring the targets to you. There is always more, they are just masked and deeper. You may only get a few from what will be a lot of digging, but from what we've seen a few more might just be enough for another great find.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

AWESOME FIND!! Wish my Colonial coin would have been something super rare like yours Hogge!! Very happy to see someone has found a very rare coin... DonSJ what is this coin worth???

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
AWESOME FIND!! Wish my Colonial coin would have been something super rare like yours Hogge!! Very happy to see someone has found a very rare coin... DonSJ what is this coin worth???

I'll guess... 0-1,000,000 :D

No one can answer that unless it's sold, only worth what someone will pay. If it's better than the second known a sale from that coin might be a guideline.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:

No one can answer that unless it's sold, only worth what someone will pay. If it's better than the second known a sale from that coin might be a guideline.

So true IP, there is no track record on this Ringo 25-83A, so even though it has value, the answer is up for grabs. I have a very similar situation with the counterfeit I found last year that is only one of three/four known. That has been recently designated as a Batty 3826B. No intention of selling mine, but a lot of satisfaction knowing that there are so few known specimens.......

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:

So true IP, there is no track record on this Ringo 25-83A, so even though it has value, the answer is up for grabs. I have a very similar situation with the counterfeit I found last year that is only one of three/four known. That has been recently designated as a Batty 3826B. No intention of selling mine, but a lot of satisfaction knowing that there are so few known specimens.......

Don

So are you saying you are "Batty" ? :D ... or maybe they are. :D :D :D

A lot of relics are much the same way, just have to put the feelers out there and see what happens.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:

Don

So are you saying you are "Batty" ? :D ... or maybe they are. :D :D :D

A lot of relics are much the same way, just have to put the feelers out there and see what happens.

I think a lot of these counterfeits could drive somebody "Batty" :tongue3: But in this case Batty was a Numismatist who evidently authored a book or two years ago and several counterfeits have been named after him. :)

Don

Attachments

• Batty.JPG
    Batty.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 7,312

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Congratulations Hogge on your rare Geo. III. I found so many of them but it would be next to impossible to see as much detail as needed to identify rarity in the coin. Most of mine are much too environmentally damaged. You are rightfully excited. :thumbsup:
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With a clear photo, that should make the finds Banner.

BIG congratulations.  How many of the coinshooters could say that they found a coin which was one of Three known?  :wink:

:thumbsup:

The good news is that an article or some other kind of publicity on your coin will create some excitement and collector interest for this coin--if there isn't a good bit already.

-Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
With a clear photo, that should make the finds Banner.

BIG congratulations. How many of the coinshooters could say that they found a coin which was one of Three known? :wink:

:thumbsup:

The good news is that an article or some other kind of publicity on your coin will create some excitement and collector interest for this coin--if there isn't a good bit already.

-Buckles

It's probably impossible to get a good picture of that coin but shouldn't stop it from making the banner. Heck you could just put the listing # and that should be good enough. History, rarity, & collectibility, over pretty anyday!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know how they are about the BANNER around here  ::) 

Perhaps after the coin is photographed, they can give Hogge permission to use the photo on Tnet...but probably too late for the banner by then. 

Or we could just keep this post up top until the photos come through  ;D

-Buckles

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Send it in and get it slabbed its a lot easier. HH

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
All hereby declare this GEORGIVS copper ...

HOGGIVS RIGHTEOUIVS ... :thumbsup:

Sweet Hogge Congrats ~ Nick
You're Too Funny! Thanks Nick

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IAsoldier said:
Send it in and get it slabbed its a lot easier. HH
All real collectors of these types of coins would rather they weren't in plastic cases. The only thing grading companies put on coins like this is "Environmental Damage" and most do not grade. It's basically a waste of time and $$.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
You know how they are about the BANNER around here ::)

Perhaps after the coin is photographed, they can give Hogge permission to use the photo on Tnet...but probably too late for the banner by then.

Or we could just keep this post up top until the photos come through ;D

-Buckles
Good idea. BB. I'll do my part.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
You know how they are about the BANNER around here ::)

Or we could just keep this post up top until the photos come through ;D

-Buckles
I'm actually going to see Tony Carlotto tomarrow to get better pics and have him forwarded to me. Maybe I'll have them tomarrow night. I'll see what he says. Hogge

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah. Uncle Wheat-O has HIS back too. :D

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder

Wow, Hogge. You really are on a roll lately! What a find!

I'll likely be at the C4 Con. at least one day. What day or days are you going?

_Rich_

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BlackX said:
Wow, Hogge. You really are on a roll lately! What a find!

I'll likely be at the C4 Con. at least one day. What day or days are you going?

_Rich_
Definitely be there on Sat. Probably be there all day to make a nice day of it, see lots of rare coinage, meet people, and have a nice dinner. 2 1/2-3 hr. drive. Hope to see ya there!

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx

Hogge my son found a 1778 KING GEORGIVS last sat in east bethel vermont by a church that was built in 1883?what givs with the georgivs up here in new england this year?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread