1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Excal 2 and E Trac
    4 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S"

Wow dude, I want to just stand near you so the detecting genes will hopefully osmose into me. You have a knack for finding excellent artifacts, way to go.
    It is amazing what men will do for an extra inch.

Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S"

Just want to let you know that your 1783 is perhaps only one of now three possibly known, and it might even be a new variant of the other known ones. So, do not be disappointed in that it is "just" a non Machins Mills counterfeit........ I will PM you shortly about the coin.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

My run of luck continues! What's next, the Mass. state lottery??
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i, MX Sport, Dual Field PI, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    776 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    UPDATE: In recent days this coin has been positively ID'd as a CFT 25-83A one of ONLY 3,(mine being the third), known to exist.
    Congratulations on an amazing find. You have been on fire lately. I expect to see more great finds from you soon!

Happy Hunting!
    Neil

Congrats to Hogge on finding a counterfeit KGIII that is so far rarer than the 1784 Machins Mills copper Vlack 14-84A which always causes excitement in the colonial coin world when found. (Note, rarity like that does not always equate into more value, depends on collector interest, condition and demand)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Congrats to Hogge on finding a counterfeit KGIII that is so far rarer than the 1784 Machins Mills copper Vlack 14-84A which always causes excitement in the colonial coin world when found. (Note, rarity like that does not always equate into more value, depends on collector interest, condition and demand)

Don

I knew it had potential, seen a lot of counterfeit Georgies and no 1783s. Pretty small crowd that are serious buyers for these but maybe someone will want it. If only it had the condition!

Just read your update and that is pretty awesome news. You know you have a good find when others are excited about it, and if the others are those guys... yeah be excited! You no doubt are on the site of your lifetime, keep digging it! If it's a small site and even if there is basically no signals left take your shovel and bring the targets to you. There is always more, they are just masked and deeper. You may only get a few from what will be a lot of digging, but from what we've seen a few more might just be enough for another great find.

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

AWESOME FIND!! Wish my Colonial coin would have been something super rare like yours Hogge!! Very happy to see someone has found a very rare coin... DonSJ what is this coin worth
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by creeper71
    AWESOME FIND!! Wish my Colonial coin would have been something super rare like yours Hogge!! Very happy to see someone has found a very rare coin... DonSJ what is this coin worth

I'll guess... 0-1,000,000

No one can answer that unless it's sold, only worth what someone will pay. If it's better than the second known a sale from that coin might be a guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

No one can answer that unless it's sold, only worth what someone will pay. If it's better than the second known a sale from that coin might be a guideline.

So true IP, there is no track record on this Ringo 25-83A, so even though it has value, the answer is up for grabs. I have a very similar situation with the counterfeit I found last year that is only one of three/four known. That has been recently designated as a Batty 3826B. No intention of selling mine, but a lot of satisfaction knowing that there are so few known specimens.......

Don

So true IP, there is no track record on this Ringo 25-83A, so even though it has value, the answer is up for grabs. I have a very similar situation with the counterfeit I found last year that is only one of three/four known. That has been recently designated as a Batty 3826B. No intention of selling mine, but a lot of satisfaction knowing that there are so few known specimens.......

Don

So are you saying you are "Batty" ? ... or maybe they are.

A lot of relics are much the same way, just have to put the feelers out there and see what happens.

Don

So are you saying you are "Batty" ? ... or maybe they are.

A lot of relics are much the same way, just have to put the feelers out there and see what happens.
    I think a lot of these counterfeits could drive somebody "Batty" But in this case Batty was a Numismatist who evidently authored a book or two years ago and several counterfeits have been named after him.

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batty.JPG 
Views:	7272 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	239983  

Jan 2007
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Whites Vision Spectra
    21 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Congratulations Hogge on your rare Geo. III. I found so many of them but it would be next to impossible to see as much detail as needed to identify rarity in the coin. Most of mine are much too environmentally damaged. You are rightfully excited.
    Chris

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    6358 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

With a clear photo, that should make the finds Banner.

BIG congratulations.  How many of the coinshooters could say that they found a coin which was one of Three known? 

The good news is that an article or some other kind of publicity on your coin will create some excitement and collector interest for this coin--if there isn't a good bit already.

-Buckles
    2020 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Monogrammed Silver Love Token
    dateless Seated Liberty Dime
    1899 Barber Quarter
    minieballs, beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and GawGag

OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    With a clear photo, that should make the finds Banner.

BIG congratulations. How many of the coinshooters could say that they found a coin which was one of Three known?

The good news is that an article or some other kind of publicity on your coin will create some excitement and collector interest for this coin--if there isn't a good bit already.

-Buckles

It's probably impossible to get a good picture of that coin but shouldn't stop it from making the banner. Heck you could just put the listing # and that should be good enough. History, rarity, & collectibility, over pretty anyday!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links