1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Went exploring for new spots on Sunday with my brother-in law, DigginitRTB. You would never know this place was there, only 20-30 yds. off the main trail we walk on. We found a stone wall running approx. 100 yds. long along the side of the main trail and thought it was part of a close by foundation. Thought we would check it out anyway and Rich said he thought he found what was a cellar hole. Called me over and sure enough it was. Found a nice button, a trigger guard to an old musket, and this King George III 1783 copper. Couple things are different on this one. The "S" in GEORGIVS is backwards,(almost looks like a "2"), the 3 in the date is slightly seperated from the rest of the date, and the dot after "REX" is below the bust. The shirt or breast of King George is also different from the dies I've looked at. More or less looks like a series of 6 crescent moons. sorry the scans don't look that good but there is alot of detail left on this coin. Also, the back shield is tipped more than the other die varieties I've looked at. :icon_scratch: Can someone help with ID on this one? :icon_study: Thanks HOGGE Saw 2 other posts from Sunday with King George coppers. Musta been the day for these! UPDATE: In recent days this coin has been positively ID'd as a CFT 25-83A one of ONLY 3,(mine being the third), known to exist. I would first like to thank Iron Patch, and Don in SJ, for without their time and help this would NOT have been possible.This site is AWESOME! And would also like to acknowledge the help of PBK and Jeff of PA with the help on my British Belt Tip. Through Don's knowledge and contacts in the Colonial Collectors world, a DEFINITE, POSITIVE, ID on this coin was possible. Byron Weston of PSU, and Gary Trudgen of "The Colonial Coin Collectors Club" have ID'd this coin and want to do a write up for the C4 Newsletter and Colonial Newsletter on this discovery. I WILL be attending the C4 Convention in Boston the week of Nov. 14-17 with the Ryder 7 Vermont, the British Cartridge Box Belt Tip, the 25-83A, and other CFT coppers found this yr. Tony Carlotto will be contacted to take some better pics and do weight and measurements for them for the newsletter. From what these guys are telling me, over the past couple of days with numerous EMails, the example I have is in better condition than the second known example. They want to compare weight, diameter, and die rotation to the other examples. This whole run of LUCK I've had in the last month has been like a dream. There are several people these guys want me to see, and talk to when I attend the C4. I can't wait! THIS COIN IS IN BETTER CONDITION THAN THE SCAN SHOWS! I HATE MY SCANNER! Anyways, Good Luck to all, and many Thanks to ALL who helped me!

Attachments

• oc06-001.jpg
    oc06-001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8,507
  • oc06-004.jpg
    oc06-004.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8,519
  • oc06-002.jpg
    oc06-002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8,437
  • oc06-003.jpg
    oc06-003.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8,417
Upvote 0

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Re: Update: PICS 1783 Ringo 25-83A

Sweet!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Call ya about Sundays hunt..........

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

I honestly can't understand why this hasn't been put on Banner!

VERY DESERVING OF BANNER!!!

Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well--after cleaning and better photos, that is probably the Finest example known. And now it is clearly MORE than a $10,000 coin.

Unbelievable.

And yes--if this one doesn't go BANNER, I've lost all faith.

-Buckles

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

In the end you know you have something special . The banner is vanity in the extreme. Never made it...Don't care to. Take it from a Copper hunter. You made my copper banner. :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_sunny:
Chris

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All you guy's that have commented on my posts I consider as extremely high praise. IP, Don in SJ, Buckleboy, Colonial Zeus, Golden1, Mirage, Caver's, and MY personal favorite- Nick Pappagiorgio! (I left a ton of others out) You guy's seem to know about ALL the old places, relics and coins, and how hard it truly is to find these things at old foundations. I've hunted for 10yrs. now and it's not just about fumbling around a spot. I examine a spot, look for high traffic areas, and stick around these. The well, privy, breaks in walls to fields, small rock enclosures, and little walkways is where I stick. Back and forth, side to side and back again in small 20' by 20' areas seems to work out for me good. It's ok to wander and explore but I found you miss alot of area doing this. I've missed stuff 2-3 times in the same spot, go back at a different angle and turn up the sensitivity and BANG the target is there. I actually learned this tactic by being a member here and picking up on tips and stratagies other people use. AND IT WORKS! God, I love this site! There is ALOT more hidden treasure out there guys, lets see what the weekend brings! I think I'll make the banner. GOOD LUCK! "The HOGGESTER"

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After I posted the last post I checked my Lottery #'s from last night. Missed it by THAT much! Winning #'s were 1-9-17-25-31. 3rd time I've hit 4 out of 5. I get $250 for this but $100,000 would have been nice. My luck continues! :icon_scratch: :thumbsup: This is Mass. State Lottery. Mass Cash game.

Attachments

• oc25-001.jpg
    oc25-001.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 6,353
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1783 Ringo 25-83A * 1 of 3 Known. Possibly "The Finest" example

Iron Patch sent me the second example from a Stacks auction in January 08 which sold for $10,900+ realized. With buyers premium around $12,000. This particular one was, in fact, a ground found piece. The example I have, is clearly, a better example, and possibly, the best example known of the 3 to exist. I haven't, as of yet, seen the other piece. Tell me what you all think. Hogge

Attachments

• oc24-002.jpg
    oc24-002.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 5,831
  • oc24-004.jpg
    oc24-004.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 5,849
  • oc24-003.jpg
    oc24-003.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 5,904
  • oc24-001.jpg
    oc24-001.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5,868
  • oc24-001.jpg
    oc24-001.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5,866
  • oc24-002.jpg
    oc24-002.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 5,831
  • oc24-003.jpg
    oc24-003.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 5,892
  • oc24-004.jpg
    oc24-004.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 5,856

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: 1783 Ringo 25-83A * 1 of 3 Known. Possibly "The Finest" example

the definition and details are in very good shape. I would check into preserving it or Christie's for auction JMO

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't believe the lack of interest in this find! A couple gold rings and the replies fly yet a coin potentially worth thousands not only doesn't make it on the banner, but few people even seem to care! :D (is it because it's not pretty and shiny?????) I bet that would change a little had they dug it. :wink: :thumbsup: Definitely one of the top finds on the T-net this year, maybe the best.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
I can't believe the lack of interest in this find! A couple gold rings and the replies fly yet a coin potentially worth thousands not only doesn't make it on the banner, but few people even seem to care! :D (is it because it's not pretty and shiny?????) I bet that would change a little had they dug it. :wink: :thumbsup: Definitely one of the top finds on the T-net this year, maybe the best.

I agree! Obviously the term "value" has a different meaning across the metal detecting community... I'd like to see a ring that had this much Historical Value--let alone monetary value.

I think you've posted this coin several times, Hogge--and never much interest. Damned shame.

-Buckles

skunemonk

Mar 6, 2006

GREAT FIND! Congrats on a very rare find.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

It is a unique coin and in great shape.Did you find this coin while detecting?If not,maybe that is one reason the interest is down.Tell us the whole story of how you got it.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

warsawdaddy said:
It is a unique coin and in great shape.Did you find this coin while detecting?If not,maybe that is one reason the interest is down.Tell us the whole story of how you got it.
Me and DigginitRTB were detecting an area we frequent quite a bit. We had noticed a stone wall in between 2 known foundations but always thought it was part of either one. On our way back through we decided to check it out. He went on one side of the wall and I went the other. Within a couple minutes I could hear him yelling. "Hey, bring the 4 wheeler over here! I think I found a cellar hole." Upon arriving, I examined a very small, shallow, but squared out with stone, hole. You would never have noticed this thing from the trail we travel on unless you were actually close to it. Behind the hole was another squared out area, which appeared to be maybe the front of the house. Possibly where horses were stopped and tied or something. The spot is only like 20' by 20' square almost against the foundation. These are the little high traffic areas I like to hunt back and forth on at all different angles. Within 5 mins got a bottle cap signal at 4-6". Rich was unsure his detector was working correctly so before I dug he wanted to see what his read. "Yep....Bottle cap reading" ok he said. So I dug and the rest is history! I keep saying this.....But it's not ALL luck. When you hit an old spot examine the place and look for high traffic areas and go back and forth at different angles.(Learned this tactic from Iron Patch as I saw in one of his posts what he found in a very small area). It can get boring in you want to wander like DigginitRTB does, but the rewards are great. You have to have patience. Hit spots again and again, year after year. The good stuff is there, it just shifts in the ground constantly. Frost, rain, different soils, all determine what that relic or coin does from week to week, year to year. One day you miss it, the next you pick it up! Persistance and patience. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Well IP, Thanks again for your support and post. We'll know for sure about value a week from Saturday as I head for the C4 in Boston. Got plenty of PM's and messages from the C4 guys this past week, as "TaxiSteve" posted my find. I can't believe the lack of interest in this find myself. But the excitement I saw in the C4 guys leads me to believe I have something REALLY special! I'll keep you personally informed. Hogge :thumbsup:

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

hogge i'm usually only lurking on here enjoying all the great finds and comments
and always learning something new but after what Iron Pactch said i kinda felt
guilty for not replying to your post the title says it all 1 of 3 known :o possibly the finest
example potentially worth thousands $$ a big "CONGRATS" on your find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
and the best of luck to you on the results :icon_sunny: HH

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For those of us who really know, your coin is a top notch find and is one of the top finds of the year, despite the ignorance of the vast majority. That is one reason I did not push another coin for banner that most likely will exceed your Ringo coin in value, and it was found and posted in the same time frame. (IP knows which one I am talking about)

The values posted by those who find jewelry is not what the piece will fetch selling it outright or even at auction and yet, because it is pretty, the comments abound. The history of our older coins is priceless and the fact that some, despite not being the prettiest coin in the world makes finding them all the more great. There are not too many ground found coppers that can demand such amounts, since corrosion is almost always present to some degree, but when rarity is there, and I mean true rarity, not supply and demand rarity like a 1916D Mercury Dime (264 thousand minted) then the praise should be given for such finds.

I have a colonial I found earlier last year that even most of the colonial collectors missed for what it was, and now it is going to be in a CNL article along with the few others known to exist(1 or 3 or more), so those coins are out there and posting on forums like this will expose them to the world which is good. Who knows how many rare old coppers are sitting in someone's finds pile for those who never really clean them off enough to look at closely. Many rare coins are out there and are being found each month by detectorists so always check your finds carefully...

As far as the lack of interest on this find, sometimes a key word in the initial title is important, sometimes the photographs have to be just right and sometimes I have not a clue why some posts get zillions of hits and others that seem to me more of substance get almost ignored.
But, as long as we know a few who do reply that know what they are talking about, well, that is what really matters, not a couple dozen , "great coin" replies from just about anybody..........

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread