Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    us
    Sep 2008
    Michigan
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Great find

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    2009 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

If that coin is Identified correctly, it is the MORE VALUABLE than ANYTHING currently on the Banner right now.

Get it up top!

-Buckles
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1792 French 2 Sol Copper
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1826 Two Reales
    1827 Peruvian Republic 1 Real
    1815 Ferdinand 1 Real
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    Dateless Half Real
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Five Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    Large New Orleans Hallmarked Silver Spoon
    185? Large Cent
    Confederate Pelican Civil War Button
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    CW Eagle "I" Button
    CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1896 Barber Quarter
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    186?, 1866, and a Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Plantation Tokens
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    Best find 1819 Large Cent

May 2008
    Pittsfield ma
    Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

I seen this coin!!!! and yup its a backwards "S" for sure!
    Banner im thinking
    Golden1

Dropped the coin off to Tony Carlotto today. He's going to put all his photography skills to work and get better pics. Both for the forum and C4 newsletter. He is also getting weight, diameter, and die rotation for the guys at Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4). My dream in metal detecting has come true! I found a rare coin.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Dropped the coin off to Tony Carlotto today. He's going to put all his photography skills to work and get better pics. Both for the forum and C4 newsletter. He is also getting weight, diameter, and die rotation for the guys at Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4). My dream in metal detecting has come true! I found a rare coin.
    You sure did you *%^%>>$$$<<<#%# !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    You sure did you *%^%>>$$$<<<#%# !
    I will second that!

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Dec 2004
    east northport ny
    Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
    29 times

all i can say is wow that is awesome

OK folks, hang on to your hats, Iron Patch found this on Stacks Auction website. It seems the coin that Hogge found, has topped his Vermont Ryder 7 for rarity and value.

The Ringo 23-83A is perhaps one of only three known and this one on the auction site is basically the only other one that most have ever seen a photo of, that is until Hoge's find. Read what is said about the coin, and the one in this auction WAS A GROUND FOUND!

I hope the updated photos from Tony do the coin justice and congratulations to Hogge on two great finds in roughly a month period. This find is a BANNER FIND in my opinion.
    http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx...087873&fs=true

Text from the website follows, but please look at the auction site for the price realized $$$$$ and photographs of the one sold.

1783 contemporary imitation halfpenny. Ringo 25-83A. George III English type. Fine to Very Fine.

95.2 grains. A star among Mike's counterfeits, a prime specimen of this rare variety. Dark glossy olive green with light brown devices on a slightly oblong planchet. Patina consistent with a ground find, glossy despite microscopic granularity. The obverse legend is essentially complete, including the backwards S in GEORGIVS, though R of REX is obliterated by a swelling that is connected to a break at the nose. The portrait, often-compared to Connecticut M. 2.3-T among scholars of the series, is relatively well-defined. (Bidders will recall that CT M. 2.3-T sold in the Ford IX sale for a stout $92,000). The similarity of the maxillofacial structures of this variety and Miller 2.3-T are easy to recognize, as is the exaggerated base of Britannia's shield and the "lollipop tree" look of the olive branch on the reverse. The reverse figure is as crude as any in the series, with a squat neck, fat forearm and three-fingered hand, and unusual shield. Striking softness eliminates the legs of Britannia and 17 of the date, but the distinctive 83 is clear to the naked eye.

Called Rarity-8 by Ringo, there appear to be just a few specimens from these dies known today. It has long been one of the most famous pieces in the Ringo Collection, here offered for the first time at public auction.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Yeah that's the kicker, it's a dug coin!

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    39 times

HOLY CRAP!! Almost 11,000.00 .. I was thinking maybe 2,000 at most... OMG That is 1000% awesome Hogge!!! I don't know what else to say.. you found something all of us detectors dream about finding everytime we hear a high tone...
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Tony is going to take pics tonight. He said he has some stuff that may help clean it a little better. I trust him and told him to do what he can to get better pics. I'm sure that if anyone knows about cleaning old coins it would be him. Will pic coin up again on Fri. when I'm in the area. I think he is going to forward pics to Don in SJ, Gary Trudgen, and Byron Weston along with myself. As soon as I get them I'll update. Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

My last try for the banner, even made a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp2.jpg 
Views:	6366 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	242042  

us
    Mar 2008
    hinsdale mass
    whites prizem 4
    1 times

hi all,i go with hogge quite often ,and i would always find something good and he would always say to me you lucky ____ yea thats a bad word.well the luck is going both ways now ,it must be his time and he has been getting lucky ,but thats a good thing you should have seen this hole i found barly a foot deep ,but you could see a rock formation half burried in the dirt,as i yelled for him to come over and look he said i would never have saw that,i may have helped with the finding of that coin,but im very happy for him,its always great to see your friends excited about what they dig up,and what a rare coin congrats and show him the money rich

Update: 25-83A going to "Stacks Americana Auction" Jan.15-16 2009

My other post is cluttered so I made a new one with the pics from Tony Carlotto. I guess there was alot of crud on it Hah? the pics from Tony look like the coin is "pitted". Trust me , It's NOT! Has to do with the lighting he used. Hogge PS. Tony said this coin went into the ground in excellent condition. You should see it under magnification! UPDATE: My brother in law and myself attended the C4 Convention in Boston on Sat Nov. 15th. After talking with David Palmer, Tony Carlotto, Richard August, Ray Williams, Syd Martin (owner of the "Ringo 25-83A"), Mr. Gellman, Mr. McCawley, "Copper" Clem, and several others, we decided to go to auction with Stacks. We both liked what Frank Van Valen had to say and decided to go that route. There was quite a bit of attention this coin recieved and a Mr. Howe of the C4 club took some digital photos of it, hopefully to be put into the C4 newsletter. We had an excellent experience. Everyone was very courteous and helpful in guiding us to our decision. We received a couple of very attractive offers but chose to sell in the well publicised "Americana Auction" with Stacks in Jan. 2009. One of the last people we spoke to, a younger gentleman with a few of Mike Ringos' coins in his case said, " You will see my paddle going up on this one!". He said this even before he looked at it. So the interest in our coin is there, just had to show it around a bit. Good Luck to All and HH! Hogge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oc24-003.jpg 
Views:	6865 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	242449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oc24-004.jpg 
Views:	6795 
Size:	367.0 KB 
ID:	242450  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    77 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Update: PICS 1783 Ringo 25-83A

way to go on that beautiful coin !!!!
    ALLEN

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors