1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

Went exploring for new spots on Sunday with my brother-in law, DigginitRTB. You would never know this place was there, only 20-30 yds. off the main trail we walk on. We found a stone wall running approx. 100 yds. long along the side of the main trail and thought it was part of a close by foundation. Thought we would check it out anyway and Rich said he thought he found what was a cellar hole. Called me over and sure enough it was. Found a nice button, a trigger guard to an old musket, and this King George III 1783 copper. Couple things are different on this one. The "S" in GEORGIVS is backwards,(almost looks like a "2"), the 3 in the date is slightly seperated from the rest of the date, and the dot after "REX" is below the bust. The shirt or breast of King George is also different from the dies I've looked at. More or less looks like a series of 6 crescent moons. sorry the scans don't look that good but there is alot of detail left on this coin. Also, the back shield is tipped more than the other die varieties I've looked at. :icon_scratch: Can someone help with ID on this one? :icon_study: Thanks HOGGE Saw 2 other posts from Sunday with King George coppers. Musta been the day for these! UPDATE: In recent days this coin has been positively ID'd as a CFT 25-83A one of ONLY 3,(mine being the third), known to exist. I would first like to thank Iron Patch, and Don in SJ, for without their time and help this would NOT have been possible.This site is AWESOME! And would also like to acknowledge the help of PBK and Jeff of PA with the help on my British Belt Tip. Through Don's knowledge and contacts in the Colonial Collectors world, a DEFINITE, POSITIVE, ID on this coin was possible. Byron Weston of PSU, and Gary Trudgen of "The Colonial Coin Collectors Club" have ID'd this coin and want to do a write up for the C4 Newsletter and Colonial Newsletter on this discovery. I WILL be attending the C4 Convention in Boston the week of Nov. 14-17 with the Ryder 7 Vermont, the British Cartridge Box Belt Tip, the 25-83A, and other CFT coppers found this yr. Tony Carlotto will be contacted to take some better pics and do weight and measurements for them for the newsletter. From what these guys are telling me, over the past couple of days with numerous EMails, the example I have is in better condition than the second known example. They want to compare weight, diameter, and die rotation to the other examples. This whole run of LUCK I've had in the last month has been like a dream. There are several people these guys want me to see, and talk to when I attend the C4. I can't wait! THIS COIN IS IN BETTER CONDITION THAN THE SCAN SHOWS! I HATE MY SCANNER! Anyways, Good Luck to all, and many Thanks to ALL who helped me!

Attachments

• oc06-001.jpg
    oc06-001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8,507
  • oc06-003.jpg
    oc06-003.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8,417
  • oc06-002.jpg
    oc06-002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8,437
  • oc06-004.jpg
    oc06-004.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8,519
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Re: 1783 King George III "GEORGIVS" backwards "S" UPDATE ID 25-83A OMG!

I've been a long time visitor to this site, but never a member. After reading thru this post, I just had to join and comment on the coin. What can I say that hasen't already been said, simply amazing. I've been detecting for 25 years, and i've never seen such a rare and beautiful colonial. Also, you did a great job in the recovery, just imagine if you would have hit it with your shovel!. A great find and certainly worthy of all the attention it's receiving.

HomesteadHunter

tomted62

Oct 30, 2008
Tiro, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice find!! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HomesteadHunter said:
I've been a long time visitor to this site, but never a member. After reading thru this post, I just had to join and comment on the coin. What can I say that hasen't already been said, simply amazing. I've been detecting for 25 years, and i've never seen such a rare and beautiful colonial. Also, you did a great job in the recovery, just imagine if you would have hit it with your shovel!. A great find and certainly worthy of all the attention it's receiving.

HomesteadHunter

Very true. In 2001 my digging bud found an Extr. rare local token, one that hadn't been seen at auction since the early 1950s. Not knowing what it was he handed to me, and after I passed it back, he looked a bit more and dropped it in the back of the truck putting a crack in it. Because of the rarity, poor condition, and a bidding war at auction, I don't think the crack significantly hurt the price, but it no doubt had to be a factor.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 25-83A Going to "Stacks Americana Auction" on January 15-16 2009

Don in SJ said:
jeff of pa said:
Nice Coin
was this a recent find of Yours ?

Where is the Story of the Find ?

where, when, etc ?

I know several who have stated on the original and followup posts that it is a banner find, I know I have also, besides clicking the nominated for banner button with reason why, this coin might easily eclipse the half disme that was posted here for value, depending how the auction goes.

Don

The Reasons I ignored all past nominations on this was the poor Quality of the original
pics & the fact each update was in a seperate post.

All Updates should stay in one thread so members don't
need to search the whole site for info.

I hope every update is here now.

Amazing find hogge !

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 25-83A Going to "Stacks Americana Auction" on January 15-16 2009

jeff of pa said:
Don in SJ said:
jeff of pa said:
Nice Coin
was this a recent find of Yours ?

Where is the Story of the Find ?

where, when, etc ?

I know several who have stated on the original and followup posts that it is a banner find, I know I have also, besides clicking the nominated for banner button with reason why, this coin might easily eclipse the half disme that was posted here for value, depending how the auction goes.

Don

The Reasons I ignored all past nominations on this was the poor Quality of the original
pics & the fact each update was in a seperate post.

All Updates should stay in one thread so members don't
need to search the whole site for info.

I hope every update is here now.

Amazing find hogge !

I changed my mind. DeBanner! :D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Hogge,

Once again congratulations on your once in a lifetime find. Colonial coppers are fascinating in that they all tell a part of the story of the early years in the United States. To find one of three known colonial coins is truly amazing.

I was happy to see the details on finding the coins, and the fact that you dug a broken bottle cap signal is a reminder to all that you should dig ALL questionable signals. I wonder how many people might have ignored that signal.

Good luck with the auction. I will be watching it closely.

One more thing...How did you make out with the lottery ticket ;)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on finding an extremely rare and cool find! :thumbsup:

Good luck to you,
Steve

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Like a few others here, I don't know how I missed this thread all along. Just found it today for the first time.

This is one of the most amazing finds I've read about yet. I expect to be reading about it in the W&E Treasures Best Finds of 2008, and I can't wait to see what the results of the auction are.

I think that this is what I love most about metal detecting. Just knowing that extremely rare and valuable items do exist and are out there in some long forgotten bit of overgrown woods down a bunch of dirt roads, just waiting patiently to be uncovered some day by hogge, or Iron Patch, or Buckle Boy, or (don't jinx yourself now), even time4me! I'm still waiting to find my first seated coin, my first large cent, and so many other first old coins, but I know that they are all out there just laying in wait for someone with enough skill (and luck) to swing their coil over them and know how to correctly interpret the signal.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on your remarkable and exceptional find!!!!!

Jim

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1783 Ringo 25-83A * 1 of 3 Known. Possibly "The Finest" example

Don in SJ said:
For those of us who really know, your coin is a top notch find and is one of the top finds of the year, despite the ignorance of the vast majority. That is one reason I did not push another coin for banner that most likely will exceed your Ringo coin in value, and it was found and posted in the same time frame. (IP knows which one I am talking about)

The values posted by those who find jewelry is not what the piece will fetch selling it outright or even at auction and yet, because it is pretty, the comments abound. The history of our older coins is priceless and the fact that some, despite not being the prettiest coin in the world makes finding them all the more great. There are not too many ground found coppers that can demand such amounts, since corrosion is almost always present to some degree, but when rarity is there, and I mean true rarity, not supply and demand rarity like a 1916D Mercury Dime (264 thousand minted) then the praise should be given for such finds.

I have a colonial I found earlier last year that even most of the colonial collectors missed for what it was, and now it is going to be in a CNL article along with the few others known to exist(1 or 3 or more), so those coins are out there and posting on forums like this will expose them to the world which is good. Who knows how many rare old coppers are sitting in someones finds pile for those who never really clean them off enough to look at closely. Many rare coins are out there and are being found each month by detectorists so always check your finds carefully...

As far as the lack of interest on this find, sometimes a key word in the initial title is important, sometimes the photographs have to be just right and sometimes I have not a clue why some posts get zillions of hits and others that seem to me more of substance get almost ignored.
But, as long as we know a few who do reply that know what they are talking about, well, that is what really matters, not a couple dozen , "great coin" replies from just about anybody..........

Don
Hi...I have noticed a lack of interest from the UK on this post, I think this is because of the lack of knowledge about the coin not that it isn't shinny, judging by the replies about the post this is obviously a major historical find and quite worthy of a place on the banner. I also have been frustrated by the lack of interest shown by some of my finds that have made the banner but that's really up to individuals ,personally I think a find should not make the banner unless it is over 100 years old. Congratulations on a Major find even though I know nothing about your find.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1783 Ringo 25-83A * 1 of 3 Known. Possibly "The Finest" example

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
I can't believe the lack of interest in this find! A couple gold rings and the replies fly yet a coin potentially worth thousands not only doesn't make it on the banner, but few people even seem to care! :D (is it because it's not pretty and shiny?????) I bet that would change a little had they dug it. :wink: :thumbsup: Definitely one of the top finds on the T-net this year, maybe the best.

I agree! Obviously the term "value" has a different meaning across the metal detecting community... I'd like to see a ring that had this much Historical Value--let alone monetary value.

I think you've posted this coin several times, Hogge--and never much interest. Damned shame.

-Buckles
There's one on the Banner.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Yep - Congrats!!!! It's on the banner now!

Way to go on your BANNER find - find of a lifetime!!!!

Hoping for an awesome auction result for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Congrats on a find of a lifetime. Here in the Midwest we can only dream of a find like that.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

"Nice Coin" I plead (the "I" word)
Congratulations on the Banner

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

hogge, I haven't been on here much the past few months, but I remember you pulling something fantastic up--because I was convinced it was the mightiest find of the mighty little Prizm IV.

And now you've surpassed that one!! Your find is incredible, and it's better than winning whatever $ amount it fetches (hope it's a *bunch*) in the auction on a lottery ticket. Any idjit can buy a lottery ticket; your methodology and expertise (plus an excellent mid-range-price White's machine) were what brought this phenomenal coin to the light.

Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS! AGAIN!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I hope it breaks records....Good luck.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread