Can anyone ID this belt plate I found today? **Update 1850 militia panel plate**

***Got this email from 1 expert, two more are still reviewing it. Not nearly as much as we'd all hoped, but can't complain ;D...almost enough to by my new CZ3D for more relic hunting!:
Hi Aaron,
This is an 1850's era Militia style plate known as a Panel Plate,
Very Nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Value 300.00 to $500.00,
Here is a Picture of one I have on an original belt.
Thanks Stan Hughes

Got out hunting with Merf at an 1850's house. We asked the owner pretty late in the day after field hunting, so we didn't have much time. Found this belt plate about 6" down right where the front porch would have been. We have found a lot of civil war history in the area (mainly eagle buttons) can any ID this? And yes, I did gouge it >:(

I see no marks or writing on it.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSCN2520.JPG
    DSCN2520.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 6,912
  • DSCN2519.JPG
    DSCN2519.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 6,481
Upvote 4

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Can anyone ID this belt plate I found today?

humm that looks like the famous OMG pants filler belt buckle * sought after by all detectorist (texas civil war goodie -- possibly issued pre civil war but worn by texas troops during the war. -- similar in design to the mississippi civil war era buckle too--either one is a dream find of a lifetime. and is worth serious bucks)--that one great find -- it a grand plate in more ways than one :wink: looks like if you can bear to part with it your new detector bound -- great find indeed. Ivan

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

BANNER!!!!
:thumbsup:
jOE

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dude you so suck :tongue3:
got your message at 2 am :-\

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250

WOW!!! Let me say Banner!!! you sure have got a beauty there. The sword belt plate I found last week looks like minced meat next to yours. CONGRATS!!!
HH
Jeff Kleparek

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Banner find!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

gates21 said:
Any idea what the value is?

Evolution said:
Wow!!!! four figure price range?

The value depends heavily on whether it's bought/sold as a stock (generic) militia plate or a "possible" Texas or Mississippi plate. (O'Donnell and Campbell note that quite a number of these have come out of Northern as well as Southern camps.)

Those who accept it only as a stock militia plate will generally offer around $500-750.

However, as I indicated in my previous post, quite a few collectors are convinced that the Texas or Mississippi attribution is air-tight or highly probable and have therefore paid at least twice as much.

By the way, Mullinax does not include it among the Texas or Mississippi star varieities in his book, Confederate Belt Plates and Buckles.

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites

That is a beautiful buckle!!! I would have been floating had I pulled that thing from the dirt. That is the best looking C.W. buckle I think I've seen on this site!!! Don't sell it for a while, I wouldn't sell it at all. I would think that the longer you keep it the greater idea you'll have of its value. But seriously, you'll spend the cash you made and in a year you probably won't even remember what you bought, but that buckle will be gone and you'll be thinking, "dam# it, I should have kept that mutha!!"

BANNER, definitely!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Awesome belt plate,

A rare find for sure. Merf know's how to find some sites. Good guy to be out hunting with.

HH Jer

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

UNBELIEVABLE!! Congratulations on an incredible find

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

10,000 to 15,000 buckle if it checks out. WOW!!!!!

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites

$15,000? I changed my mind. Sell, sell, sell!!! You can hang a photo of it from the rearview mirror of your NEW CAR!!! I'd probably make a down payment on a new house and hang a framed picture over the mantle. Congrats!

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

I have a phone call into a civil war buckle expert who will review the digital pic today. It is Larry Hicklen from www.midtenrelics.com, he has a shop at the Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro, TN and whatever he says is golden.

OP
OP
gates21

gates21

Ok thanks a lot armchair. I'm dying to get word from a pro. Virginiarelics was going to do some research and get back to me tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions, it has been a blast :thumbsup:

Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread