1787 New York Copper

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi everyone, i got permission to search a circa 1810 farmhouse this week I was searching it today
and after digging lots of clad coins i got a penny reading at 4 1/2 inches pulled out a copper coin
and i used some water on a rag to get some detail so i'd have an idea of what i had i searched a
while longer drove home and i was ready to post it in the Coin Forum but decided to get my
Redbook out and there it was in "Post Colonial Issues"
1787 NOVA EBORAC Reverse, Seated Figure Facing Right
my oldest and best find of the year............so far :) i'm not sure if their's a date under the crud
and i'm afraid to clean it anyone know if it's a common coin ? or is it a rare one ?
any T Net people ever dig one of these ?
IMG_4937_3.jpg

IMG_4938_3.jpg

Mike HH

Upvote 0

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, just now noticed the post on the NY copper. Let me see what info I can find on it, and I'll post it on here. You old dog you ::) ...........Rich

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Don in SJ said:
One of the colonial researchers who previously wrote an article on Nova Eborac's said this " It is a 1787 Nova Eborac, Figure Right specimen. It looks like it might be an early die state reverse (without the cud) which are not that common."

So, cherish that find and glad to see one being found in a great area of our country. :)

What I found surprising is not me having found one, but my buddy in Burlington County and his friends, I thought if anybody would have found one his group would have. But then again, you never know, I found the 1722 Rosa Americana Penny this year and my friend in Burlington has not, yet both myself and my son have found one each.

Not sure if anybody is currently researching the Nova Eborac coinage, but if they are I will put them in contact with you.

Don
i like those words Don (without the cud ) which are not that common " tomorrow " i'll find out if the distilled
water helped it or not either way i will "CHERISH" this coin a main goal i have is to predate a place i'm searching
sometimes i do some i don't this place only took 2 hrs to do it :) Congrats to you and your son for finding a
Rosa Americana awesome :thumbsup: i learned a lot about this coin in a day an a half thanks to the
knowledgeable people on T Net :thumbsup: 2006 Redbook says Fair ------ Good 110.00 2009 Fair ------
Good 125.00 and we know the Redbook is priced high and this coin was dug The date - history - and location
are more important to me and the longer i have it the more it will be worth
I have a question for you Don how do you buy and apply your bees wax liquid or solid ? I went to the store to
buy some for tomorrow They had bees wax w/ orange in it for furniture, bees wax lip balm and solid pure bees wax
is this what you use ?
IMG_4939_2.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure bees wax, from a hobby store, like A.C. Moore. I would only apply it IF the coin looks dried out, otherwise I would not apply anything, my best conditioned coppers usually have no coating of anything, and if they do, it would be Blue Ribbon coin conditioner which I bought at a local coin shop.

Yes, the coin is not too valuable despite not being common, due to supply and demand, and in this case, not many NY copper collectors I guess...........

But, the fact you found it, the history is what our hobby is all about, not the true value, since most ground found coppers and even the silvers are penalized for being in the ground whether they are "cleaned" or not. But our coins in OUR collections have the history or where they were lost, and sometimes a good idea on even who lost the coins and relics..................We have true pedigree coins! :thumbsup:

Don

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
aaah, I don't know how to do multible replys in one post like some of you do puter:tard:
But, i do want to thank everybody who did reply the best way i can
Thanks to Dman
rammjager > yes i make mistakes too < me too.....way too many !!

crazyjarhead i know the guy who bought it in the 50's he did a lot of restoring
updating and adding on to it and the property - 5 acres has all
been re landscaped :( but i don't believe it's ever been searched
Earthworks
Detectinfreak
Mr_Mojo_Risin

baspinall i hope so i'll be there searching for another oldy tomorrow

Derek beings your in the Big Apple you have more of a chance finding
one of these good luck !! i hope Rock the Great found a small
head variety $$
Badger

Kirk my passion was at a low spot but it just got a big boost
WaSaBi
and IAsoldier
i'm just glad i could share this find with everyone i learned a lot about
1 coin :thumbsup: an i hope others did too :)
good luck out there everyone & HH

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had good results using petroleum jelly on my coppers. I apply a small amount with a QTip and then I remove the excess with a clean Qtip. You just need to make sure you remove all of the excess or it will leave the coin looking oily.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Don in SJ said:
Pure bees wax, from a hobby store, like A.C. Moore. I would only apply it IF the coin looks dried out, otherwise I would not apply anything, my best conditioned coppers usually have no coating of anything, and if they do, it would be Blue Ribbon coin conditioner which I bought at a local coin shop.

Yes, the coin is not too valuable despite not being common, due to supply and demand, and in this case, not many NY copper collectors I guess...........

But, the fact you found it, the history is what our hobby is all about, not the true value, since most ground found coppers and even the silvers are penalized for being in the ground whether they are "cleaned" or not. But our coins in OUR collections have the history or where they were lost, and sometimes a good idea on even who lost the coins and relics..................We have true pedigree coins! :thumbsup:

Don
I'll have to check out A.C. Moore and get some Blue Ribbon coin conditioner too i want to be prepared
for next time and what you say about history and pedigree you hit the nail on the head Thanks much Don !!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Mike, Awesome post! A coin that is once in a lifetime, a story definitely worth reading, a history lesson, a preservation lesson..............Give us a few more pictures and get it on the BANNER!

You deserve it!

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Rich in Central PA said:
Mike, just now noticed the post on the NY copper. Let me see what info I can find on it, and I'll post it on here. You old dog you ::) ...........Rich
Hi Rich it's been a while.....how goes it :) i think it's time you parked that "big boys toy" and start
searching and posting some finds any info would be great thanks

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Packrat said:
awsome find thanks for letting us see it congrats!!!!
Thank You Packrat :) i like your avatar thats got to be my favorite treasure movie
i can't tell you how many times i watched it ? but, i enjoy it everytime

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Too cool! I never find anything like that to the south of you! I need to come up your way! Congrats on an awesome find! :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
Don in SJ said:

Don
I'll have to check out A.C. Moore and get some Blue Ribbon coin conditioner too i want to be prepared
for next time and what you say about history and pedigree you hit the nail on the head Thanks much Don !!
I hit alot of coin stores in my area recently and was told by each one that they don't sell it anymore. I'm not sure if all coin stores are in the same boat so give it a try. I opted for the bees wax myself. It seems to work pretty well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Mike in Berks said:
Don in SJ said:

Don
I hit alot of coin stores in my area recently and was told by each one that they don't sell it anymore. I'm not sure if all coin stores are in the same boat so give it a try. I opted for the bees wax myself. It seems to work pretty well.

If your coin is a good candidate to be waxed, the one in your avatar is, the one on this thread is not.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking forward to seeing the new pics! Please keep us updated...

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
Rich in Central PA said:
Hi Rich it's been a while.....how goes it :) i think it's time you parked that "big boys toy" and start

Mike, everything is fine with me on this end. I am still riding the "big boys toy" as we are having some beautiful weather lately. How can ya beat this weather, 70's and sunshine in October. Between riding my motorcycle and seeing my steady girlfriend (yep thats right, I took the plunge :blob7: , so between work, riding the bike, and seeing my girlfriend :laughing7: I don't have time for sh** Oh well thats how it goes when yer in love I guess. Anyway, here is some info I took from Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia Of U.S. and Colonial Coins, page 94. Your coin is #987 in the picture 1787 Figure Seated Right...............Nice find bro..............Rich (And remember, big brother is watchin' ya :thumbsup: )............................Rich

Attachments

• Nova Eborac Coppers.jpg
    Nova Eborac Coppers.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,294
OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Rich in Central PA said:
Mike in Berks said:
Rich in Central PA said:

Mike, everything is fine with me on this end. I am still riding the "big boys toy" as we are having some beautiful weather lately. How can ya beat this weather, 70's and sunshine in October. Between riding my motorcycle and seeing my steady girlfriend (yep thats right, I took the plunge :blob7: , so between work, riding the bike, and seeing my girlfriend :laughing7: I don't have time for sh** Oh well thats how it goes when yer in love I guess. Anyway, here is some info I took from Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia Of U.S. and Colonial Coins, page 94. Your coin is #987 in the picture 1787 Figure Seated Right...............Nice find bro..............Rich (And remember, big brother is watchin' ya :thumbsup: )............................Rich
Hey Rich congradulations on the girlfriend :thumbsup: now i really understand why you're not digging the dirt
great info you found i do appreciate it enjoy the warm October weather while it's here "big brother" :)

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I hope to see updates on this one. Congrats on a super-rare find! And I add my kudos for sleuthing out the old site.

You guys are finding the domestic equivalents of hammered Celtic and Roman coins found in the UK, in terms of scarcity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread