1787 New York Copper

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi everyone, i got permission to search a circa 1810 farmhouse this week I was searching it today
and after digging lots of clad coins i got a penny reading at 4 1/2 inches pulled out a copper coin
and i used some water on a rag to get some detail so i'd have an idea of what i had i searched a
while longer drove home and i was ready to post it in the Coin Forum but decided to get my
Redbook out and there it was in "Post Colonial Issues"
1787 NOVA EBORAC Reverse, Seated Figure Facing Right
my oldest and best find of the year............so far :) i'm not sure if their's a date under the crud
and i'm afraid to clean it anyone know if it's a common coin ? or is it a rare one ?
any T Net people ever dig one of these ?
IMG_4937_3.jpg

IMG_4938_3.jpg

Mike HH

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Saved from Demolition

I've been on the forum since last August and I cant remember A Nova Eborac being posted. First one I've seen. Congrats. :thumbsup: My colonial fever is starting to act up. :o

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ is great ay attributing varieties of colonial coins. Hopefully he'll be able to pick out enough detail in your coin to help here. Oh yeah, you'd probably get alot more views of your thread if you put 1787 Nova Eborac copper in your post title. Not that I'm saying more views=better find.....your find is a great one in my opinion no matter how many views you get.

Rob

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Great going on the copper!!! I also don't recall seeing a NY copper posted on TNet. If I were you, I would follow the cleaning methods in Don's post; http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html.

There is some great information on the 1787 Nova Eborac Copper on the Notre Dame website here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/NovaEbor.intro.html

Congratulations on a great find. I would love to see this coin on the banner after it is all cleaned up!!

Neil

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
Don in SJ is great ay attributing varieties of colonial coins. Hopefully he'll be able to pick out enough detail in your coin to help here. Oh yeah, you'd probably get alot more views of your thread if you put 1787 Nova Eborac copper in your post title. Not that I'm saying more views=better find.....your find is a great one in my opinion no matter how many views you get.

Rob
There you go. I like the look of the post title now. :D :D :D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real NICE! Congrats.......Hogge :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

Evolution said:

Rob
Thanks Much !! to diggingdeep, The Buzzard King, and 93vector
and Thanks !! Evolution i took your advise and changed the heading :)
I wish Don in SJ was my neighbor i'd be knocking on his door asking......would you be
kind enough to clean this coin for me ? He is an expert on cleaning coppers :thumbsup:
I see you replied while i'm replying to your last reply i'm really slow......really slow

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Sweet find Mike!! :thumbsup: You just don't see those every day! Thanks for posting.

Steve

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the picture I think it would be a big mistake to do any further cleaning. All the detail seems to be in the patina and will wash away. That condition is common here and I would probably leave it as is.

If fact, I'll go even as far as saying I am sure cleaning will only make it worse. Look at the surface wear on the edge, the detail on that coin is just hanging on.

They are all 1787 so not seeing the date isn't a huge deal. Also, it looks like there are only a few varieties with your's being the seated figure facing right, no real reason to risk cleaning it because even more detail wouldn't tell you anymore.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
This is the reason i wrote demolition i can't get a photo of the front of the house
so, here's one of the back the stone part being the original house it's could go down any
day now.......progress
IMG_4921_2.JPG
the owners had the bucks $$ they had an inground pool put in and due to re landscaping
look at the arrow that's where i found the copper ya never know huh :)
IMG_4934_3.JPG

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

Neil in West Jersey said:
Great going on the copper!!! I also don't recall seeing a NY copper posted on TNet. If I were you, I would follow the cleaning methods in Don's post; http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html.

There is some great information on the 1787 Nova Eborac Copper on the Notre Dame website here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/NovaEbor.intro.html

Congratulations on a great find. I would love to see this coin on the banner after it is all cleaned up!!

Neil
Thanks for the link Neil :) I was on it previous to posting I wonder why they don't show the type i found ? ?
there are a lot of varietys reverse left, reverse right little head, big head etc., etc.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike in Berks said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

Neil
Thanks for the link Neil :) I was on it previous to posting I wonder why they don't show the type i found ? ?
there are a lot of varietys reverse left, reverse right little head, big head etc., etc.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_c...coins/nova_eborac_large_head_seated_right.htm

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/nova_eborac_copper_coins/nova_eborac_copper_coins.htm

Attachments

• nova_eborac_large_head_seated_right_obv.jpg
    nova_eborac_large_head_seated_right_obv.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4,301
  • nova_eborac_large_head_seated_right_rev.jpg
    nova_eborac_large_head_seated_right_rev.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 4,256

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Wow, awesome find!

If I read the ND site correctly, "twenty-five to thirty specimens survive". Even if not, sure sounds like a banner to me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Mike.

Because of alot of Counterfeits back then & Weak strikes on Detail & Dates
on all coins. (Before you take that the wrong way, Counterfeits were as
good as the real thing back then.)

that could actually grade pretty high on detail in my opinion.
I would think at least Good on the one side.

could have been EF or AU When lost

As far as the Forum
I don't remember any found & posted
or even I.D.'d as a Possable Nova Eborac here.

Been alot of posts over the years though.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
hogge said:
Real NICE! Congrats.......Hogge :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Hogge :) I see you've dug quite a few colonial coppers too :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread