Made a good find today. Texas Navy button, and an old buckle.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Texas Navy.jpg
    Texas Navy.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,558
  • Texas Navy 2.jpg
    Texas Navy 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,725
  • Texas Navy 3.jpg
    Texas Navy 3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,384
  • Old buckle.jpg
    Old buckle.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,324
  • Texas Navy 4.jpg
    Texas Navy 4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,206
  • Texas Navy back.jpg
    Texas Navy back.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,116
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone.......

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button! Very nice finds.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Hello Old River...That's a great button :thumbsup:I've been away from this sight for a while now because I came down to Texas from NY to do some relief work. Right now I am based in Pasedena. I am planning on heading back to NY on Sunday Morning. I did find some coins (just 1940's and 50's). I wish I had access to a computer during my stay here. I only discovered the library sytem today. I may come down around to the Galveston/Pasedena area again in January so if I do I'll look you up if your in this area... I gotta say with the alligators, rattlesnackes, and water moccasins, not to mention scorpions and black widows and fire ants it takes a bit of guts to wander into the bushes and woods here in Texas. Congrats on the button... HH M.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish you the best of luck in hunting. I don't live to far from Galveston, and I use to live in Pasadena. Retired from Shell Chemical. I've never hunted Galveston, and now after the hurricane I don't know when anyone will be able to. Hope you have a safe trip back home, and wherever your travels take you too. Gators, snakes, and all kind of pest are here. You just have to be careful. I've layed my detector arm down in an ant bed one time, believe me I had a rude awakening. I watch where I lay it a little better now.

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
You have accomplished what only a handful of hunters ever have in Texas, Old River and you have my congrats also!

I wanted to comment about the snakes, etc. that seem to booger a lot of folks when it comes to hunting that area. I spent a lot of years hunting CW and other artifacts all over Texas, Ark. & La at ALL times of the year and had my share of encounters with bad critters but in all honesty the bad encounters were few and far between. The rattlesnakes are more of a danger to those hunters who barge through their territory with a "Bull in a China Shop" recklessness. The rattlesnake is not looking for a fight and will get out of your way if you proceed with caution and make enough noise... but do not expect him to warn you by rattling first... only about one out of four rattled me before I saw them. You practically have to step on one or reach up over your head while rock climbing to get bit. Never had any problems with scorpions while digging but had to kill quite a few IN my house in East Texas. Copperheads are more of a threat because they don't tend to run away... they just stand their ground and they strike without having to coil but only had two or three encounters with them in 25 years of hunting their territory. Never encountered any gators although I have hunted where they are many times so I guess I must smell bad to them or something. :wink: Never saw a Coral Snake but had one run-in with "Bigfoot" and another with 3 gun-totin rednecks with bad teeth back in an Arkansas swamp (The rednecks scared me more than Bigfoot... he was just curious as to what I was doing in his territory). The BIGGEST threat that I found on more than one occasion was from Water Moccasins... they will lay up in a bush at chest height or be in the trees 20' over your head and drop down as you walk under them. They are a mean, aggressive snake and if you mess with them or surprise them by accident they are prone to attack... FAST! Even then, I only had 4 "close-encounters" with them during the hundreds of times that I ventured into their domain. I have had local people warn me not to go into certain areas because "you'll come upon 6 or more ratttlesnakes at a time" and not see a single snake in those "infested" areas. When it comes to small critters like mosquitos and ticks they are the ones that are the most likely of all to get a piece of you. I know.... I got bit by a Deer Tick and contracted Lyme Disease from it. But strangely enough, I was not in the bushes hunting Confederate buttons but simply working in my own back yard at my house in East Texas when the critter got me.

All the continually successful Texas button hunters I ever knew let NOTHING stop them from their pursuit of those rarities and I never knew of a single one of them being done in by a bad snake or any other wild critter.

Be cautious... be prepared... but remember.... "He/she who never dares.... never conquers!".

AnOldPro

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks OldPro. I have encounterd a lot of the critters you mentioned. Copper heads are in an abundance around here, and I have killed my share. Cotton Mouths are in this area. I want mention them all, but believe me there are plenty to go around. I've learned from my younger days where to watch for snakes, and other things. I lived in the woods in Mississippi, and stayed on the rivers, and creeks. I pay close attention to where my coil us going while hunting. At least if I walk up on a snake I see him before I get to close. I've found several just ahead of my coil. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll go back to the site tomorrow, and see what I can find again. God Bless, and be safe.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is the button that made the banner.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
AnOldPro said:
You have accomplished what only a handful of hunters ever have in Texas, Old River and you have my congrats also!

I wanted to comment about the snakes, etc. that seem to booger a lot of folks when it comes to hunting that area. I spent a lot of years hunting CW and other artifacts all over Texas, Ark. & La at ALL times of the year and had my share of encounters with bad critters but in all honesty the bad encounters were few and far between. The rattlesnakes are more of a danger to those hunters who barge through their territory with a "Bull in a China Shop" recklessness. The rattlesnake is not looking for a fight and will get out of your way if you proceed with caution and make enough noise... but do not expect him to warn you by rattling first... only about one out of four rattled me before I saw them. You practically have to step on one or reach up over your head while rock climbing to get bit. Never had any problems with scorpions while digging but had to kill quite a few IN my house in East Texas. Copperheads are more of a threat because they don't tend to run away... they just stand their ground and they strike without having to coil but only had two or three encounters with them in 25 years of hunting their territory. Never encountered any gators although I have hunted where they are many times so I guess I must smell bad to them or something. :wink: Never saw a Coral Snake but had one run-in with "Bigfoot" and another with 3 gun-totin rednecks with bad teeth back in an Arkansas swamp (The rednecks scared me more than Bigfoot... he was just curious as to what I was doing in his territory). The BIGGEST threat that I found on more than one occasion was from Water Moccasins... they will lay up in a bush at chest height or be in the trees 20' over your head and drop down as you walk under them. They are a mean, aggressive snake and if you mess with them or surprise them by accident they are prone to attack... FAST! Even then, I only had 4 "close-encounters" with them during the hundreds of times that I ventured into their domain. I have had local people warn me not to go into certain areas because "you'll come upon 6 or more ratttlesnakes at a time" and not see a single snake in those "infested" areas. When it comes to small critters like mosquitos and ticks they are the ones that are the most likely of all to get a piece of you. I know.... I got bit by a Deer Tick and contracted Lyme Disease from it. But strangely enough, I was not in the bushes hunting Confederate buttons but simply working in my own back yard at my house in East Texas when the critter got me.

All the continually successful Texas button hunters I ever knew let NOTHING stop them from their pursuit of those rarities and I never knew of a single one of them being done in by a bad snake or any other wild critter.

Be cautious... be prepared... but remember.... "He/she who never dares.... never conquers!".

AnOldPro

Hey oldpro...about that bigfoot....got an pictures?? ;D I was looking on google earth, which surprisingly has bigfoot sightings on the map..and there was one spotted about 3 blocks from my house! Now, if they would only mark those UFO sightings too...I'll be staring at the ground and the sky..all at the same time! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread