Bust Image: Progression Photos..YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, the scene was EXT. Big deep hole when I found this plate as the other posts explain. At first I thought it was just a piece of junk metal but as I lightly cleaned the surface I noticied it had been etched so I put it in the pouch and the rest is history. I posted some photos of it and haven't done anything to it in about a week. I got the idea today since it is carved in the Intaglio style (depression) to fill in the depressions with a matrix to see if it would bring the MAN TO LIFE....Really let us see who he was..Plus there were several people asking me to make a "print" of it. I believe this worked just as well and... Well, THE PHOTOS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES :o One of the best finds I've ever dug!

The first photo was of the piece uncleaned and fresh out of the ground
MD Pics 296ed.JPG

Next, I lightly cleaned it with water to give it alittle more depth and it made a nice difference
MD Pics 320.jpg

And than, today, here's the final picture with the depressions filled in
MD Pics 285.jpg
MD Pics 321.jpg

Here's a photo of the back, I couldn't make out any distinguishing marks though.
MD Pics 296ed.JPG

Attachments

• MD Pics 322.jpg
    MD Pics 322.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 823
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find! What does the reverse show? HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said it was for printing :wink: Very nice job, its a star find for sure 8) 8) 8) 8)

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
No question about his hair length....short. I am thinking that due to the style of clothing and hair, that this could span a wide range of time; late 1800's to early 1900's.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL said:
My wife says that looks like me.

Is this a funny way of asking him for it :wink: ::) :D

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
what a neat find..... I love finding coins dont get me wrong.. but 99% of the time I find nothing earth shattering that isnt posted once or twice each day by other hunters.. but the relic type items are very neat.. each one unique with its own story.. congrats man !

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
That is such a cool unusual find. That face looks familiar, but I just can't place it.
Super job!
-Doug-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like a printing piece. I see nothing on the reverse. I once found a printing plate with a man and woman doing the nasty, I did a triple look at it before I busted up laughing. HH, Mike

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
gemee said:
No question about his hair length....short. I am thinking that due to the style of clothing and hair, that this could span a wide range of time; late 1800's to early 1900's.

Second that.. when I was renovation my house.. I found a ton of stuff under the floor of thr attic... including a set of "high collars" just like the ones in the pic.. they were from a man name Matthews.. lived here in the 1870s and 1880s... he was one of the first elected officials after Virginia became a state again... State Senator to Richmond post reconstruction... I'm not sure if the style was "in" during the 1860s... but I have someone I cold check with who studies period clothing....

MB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.

What did you put on the plate for the last photo? Salt or Sugar??

To say that is COOL would be an understatement and a half.

-Buckles

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I agree with Crusader and Bavaria Mike: it looks like a printing plate or "cut," and of course the recessed areas would remain uninked, appearing white in the resultant image.

Take it to a local printer and ask him to pull a proof (test printing) from it. The plate and proof together would make a nice framed display.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I sent a pic of this find to a friend of mine who is a period clothing expert.. has written a few history books etc.. she date it to around 1910 based on the characteristics.. here is here reply with a link..

"I can confidently tell you this is from around 1910 - the age of the Gibson Girl and looks, in fact, very much like the ideal male form drawn by that same artist, Charles Dana Gibson. Here's a sample: http://www.oldpostcards.com/a/art023052.html. Gibson's etchings were phenomenally popular - a very distinct style - but I would have said 1910 anyway, due to the parted hair, collar and lapels."

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Wow.

What did you put on the plate for the last photo? Salt or Sugar??

To say that is COOL would be an understatement and a half.

-Buckles

Actually, I used FLOUR! Did the job well

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
I sent a pic of this find to a friend of mine who is a period clothing expert.. has written a few history books etc.. she date it to around 1910 based on the characteristics.. here is here reply with a link..

"I can confidently tell you this is from around 1910 - the age of the Gibson Girl and looks, in fact, very much like the ideal male form drawn by that same artist, Charles Dana Gibson. Here's a sample: http://www.oldpostcards.com/a/art023052.html. Gibson's etchings were phenomenally popular - a very distinct style - but I would have said 1910 anyway, due to the parted hair, collar and lapels."

MonkeyBoy

Thanks Monkey Boy, that is very cool information to have :thumbsup: :wink: I appreciate your help with the piece

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
I agree with Crusader and Bavaria Mike: it looks like a printing plate or "cut," and of course the recessed areas would remain uninked, appearing white in the resultant image.

Take it to a local printer and ask him to pull a proof (test printing) from it. The plate and proof together would make a nice framed display.
I agree as well about it being a Printing plate. I roled some ink on it and it made a nice little print. I like your idea also about combining the two for a framed display! Thanks for the idea PBK :thumbsup: :wink:

P.S. The only thing that gets me is why it is shaped the way it is. Seems like it would be on a standard square plate if it was a commercial printing plate......but I guess it could have been made locally too...Someone had to etch them :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK and others,

Is there any history of engraved and Printed portraits (rather than photographs, abrotypes, daguerreotypes, or Painted portraits?)  The shape of the plate suggests that the prints might've been meant to be framed. Do the edges of the plate look like it's been broken at any point, or has it decomposed any?

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread