Barber quarters, Barber dime, Roosie, V-nickel and many more

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Back to the picnic grounds! I had intended to gain permission to hunt a bean field that surrounded an old one room school house on the way to my picnic hotspot. The beans had not been harvested, so back to the old reliable. I asked about other parts of the huge property. On an old map I obtained it shows the place to be on the other side of the road. A picture hanging in the office was of the old office across the street, yes it used to all be based across the street. There's cattle on the property right now, they may let me hit it soon. Today I checked some more obscure areas of the park and began to dig early wheats. A couple 1910's, 1917, 1919, 19??-D etc.. I thought to myself, maybe I'd find a V-nickel. It's been a couple years or so since I last dug one. Soon after the thought, I got a nice deep nickel reading that turns up a 1911 V-nickel. That's cool, but where's all the silver I normally dig. I usually have a couple mercs or more by now. I got another deep signal and flipped up a 1915 Barber dime, now we're talking. More early wheats and then a nice deep signal that sounded sweet. I dig down 4 or 5 inches, use the Sunray to pinpoint it, and see a nice silver quarter edge. It's a worn 1892, but the oldest coin from here so far. Nearby I dig another Barber quarter and nearly had a heart attack. I saw the "S" mintmark first, flipped it over and through the dirt clinging to it I saw 1901 :o :o HOLY COW!!...........wait a minute.....there's a piece of dirt over the date.....gently using the nail and......CRAP, it's a 1907-S. Oh well, still not everyday you find S mint coins in Ohio. As one of my hunting partners likes to say, "Looks like ya made an "S" of yourself again", as I find more "S"'s than most. Thanks for reading and keep on diggin' everyone.
treasurehunting025.jpg

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice group of finds, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Barbers are turning up everywhere!!

Nice job at your old reliable, Dayton!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Captn_SE said:
Barbers are turning up everywhere!!

Nice job at your old reliable, Dayton!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Wierd thing is, I've found more Barber quarters here than Washingtons by far, yet they're all really worn.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That is one really sweet spot!It would be great to find a spot that produced more Barbers than Washington's.I just dug my 107th silver coin of the year today,but only 2 are Barbers.

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
Stellar finds, I've found only one Barber, I can't even imagine a 3 Barber day!! :thumbsup: I wish you continued success, sounds like you have a heck of a spot. Take care...

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. You sound like me...always trying to talk through what coins I intend to find on each hunt. You have a great picnic area there, keep cleaning them out of there and good luck on the other property after the beans go off.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
LI Tom said:
That is one really sweet spot!It would be great to find a spot that produced more Barbers than Washington's.I just dug my 107th silver coin of the year today,but only 2 are Barbers.
I guess heavily circulated Barbers are better than most Washingtons. I wish I'd kept a better count on my silver this year, but I'd say I'm right there with you on total count, however I've dug a dozen or more Barbers. The majority were mercs and only two halves, a walker and a 64 Kennedy.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
t-bucket said:
WTG ,The Barbers are Awesome ,Looks like a great place to hunt. !!!! :thumbsup:
Put it to you this way, it's about 60 miles away and yet I seem to end up there every day off. ;D Thanks for the comments.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
jtshombre said:
Stellar finds, I've found only one Barber, I can't even imagine a 3 Barber day!! :thumbsup: I wish you continued success, sounds like you have a heck of a spot. Take care...
Thanks, I always do well at this place. Man that's sweet. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread