PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT A DATE FOR THIS STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Oct 2008
    chautauqua county new york
    whites m6 matrix and XLT

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT A DATE FOR THIS STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER

Sorry my pics didnt come threw on my last entry,I think I got it figured out ,FINALY.Sorry for the trouble. About todays hunt,My wife and I decided to go to the city and search sidewalk strip that the citys BPU dug to replace a shot gas line.My first target was a W.T.GRANT STORE "lucky token" it sure was lucky! My Scond hole was a large .925 silver ring,My third hole was a Standing liberty quarter with the date washed off and the last target was a 1941 Mercury dime.Not to bad for 20 feet of sidewalk.Searched the rest of the day and only found clad .I sure would like to have a approximate date for the quarter.If anybody can help,id appreciate ya!Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Re: HELP ME WITH DATE OF LIBERTY QUARTER

1916 or 1917 variety 1. Better take a close look to see if you can ID the last number.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    59 times

It looked like 1936 under my scope.?

us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    11 times

Re: PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT A DATE FOR THIS STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER

1916 or 1917 variety 1. Better take a close look to see if you can ID the last number.
    Hogge is right!!! You SLQ can only be a 1916 or 1917 variety 1. You're really hoping for a 1916....it's worth a bunch. Your SLQ has seen better days, but it's a keeper, no doubt!!

Congrats,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

us
    Oct 2008
    whites m6 matrix and XLT

Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Ihave tried to decifer the date, any recomendations on how to get to the bottom of this date.Should I take it to a coin collector? or hoo.Thanks so much for your reply,Happy digging!!!

us
    Jun 2007
    georgia
    garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
    12 times

Great finds for a area like that. Hope you find the date.
    KYLE DISMUKE

us
    Oct 2008
    whites m6 matrix and XLT

Quote Originally Posted by Captn_SE
    Thanks For the instant response! Just looked up your dates on internet,your right im hopeing for a 1916 HOLY WOW!!!!!

Hogge is right!!! You SLQ can only be a 1916 or 1917 variety 1. You're really hoping for a 1916....it's worth a bunch. Your SLQ has seen better days, but it's a keeper, no doubt!!

Congrats,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

with my colonial coin to get a date DonSJ used a negative image from the picture I had up online...maybe you could try making a negative an see what comes out of that....
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

us
    May 2007
    Columbus Ohio
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
    150 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Here's the article that tells you how to tell if it is 1916 or 1917... btw, I think it is a 1916.

For some reason this link is not working... take out the word SPACE and copy and paste the two parts into your browser...

http://www.anacs.comSPACE/(A(TCKIED0UyQEkAAAAYjI1NDU0YWQtOTk0Zi00MWMxLTljNjM tMWRjNTQ1NTNiMGM5paQj1ETs6w1X0G5r_j9wsShhnag1)S(nh 0whwafec1ofgywtw4xrv55))/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=16
    WWW.OHIOMETALDETECTING.COM

us
    It's mine now

Aug 2008
    North Florida
    White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

If you're wondering how we know it's definitely a 1916 or 1917 Variety 1, it's because there are no stars below the eagle on the reverse. Later SLQ's had 3 stars below the eagle.
    You want it to be the 1916.
    Why? Because the 1916 is a rare coin-only 52,00 were minted.
    Why? Because the right breast of Liberty was exposed, evoking howls of protest from the prudish. The mint quickly caved to the pressure and redesigned the coin so that the breast was covered by drapery.
    The 1916 is worth several thousand dollars, even in the lower Good or Fine grades .Since your coin does not have a legible date, it would probably not qualify as Good. More likely it would be considered About Good grade. But it still might be worth several hundred dollars, at least.
    So look carefully at the figure of Liberty and see if you can detect boobage
    Luck  affects  everything.  Let  your  hook  always  be  cast;  in  the  stream  where  you  least  expect  it  there  will  be  a  fish.- Ovid

us
    Oct 2008
    whites m6 matrix and XLT

Quote Originally Posted by MrBling
    If you're wondering how we know it's definitely a 1916 or 1917 Variety 1, it's because there are no stars below the eagle on the reverse. Later SLQ's had 3 stars below the eagle.
    You want it to be the 1916.
    Why? Because the 1916 is a rare coin-only 52,00 were minted.
    Why? Because the right breast of Liberty was exposed, evoking howls of protest from the prudish. The mint quickly caved to the pressure and redesigned the coin so that the breast was covered by drapery.
    The 1916 is worth several thousand dollars, even in the lower Good or Fine grades .Since your coin does not have a legible date, it would probably not qualify as Good. More likely it would be considered About Good grade. But it still might be worth several hundred dollars, at least.
    So look carefully at the figure of Liberty and see if you can detect boobage
    THANKS SO MUCH!! WE HAVE BOOBAGE,looks to me like the garmet travels along side the bare bust,Iswear the breast has a nipple,could that be true? Im sorry if im not aloud to say nipple,But you guys got me all worked up.im meeting a coin guy for breakfast,stay tuned.If all is true Ill have it for life,Wow what a day!!!

us
    May 2006
    The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
    White's DFX
    103 times
    Banner Finds (1)

..............just to clarify and correct, a bare breast DOES NOT mean it is definitely a 1916, it could just as easily (and more probably) be a 1917 Type 1.

In mid-1917, after public outcry, they covered the breast and re-worked the reverse (which we call Type 2) which included the addition of 3 stars below the eagle.

Still a nice find and keep digging, sidewalks don't stay dug up forever........

HH all!

Greg

us
    Jun 2008
    Virginia
    2 times

Great finds
    I am hoping for a day like that

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    883 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Definitely a 16 or 17; I'd be surprised to find a nipple, given that the date's gone! Nipple or no, it's still a great find!
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

us
    Jan 2005
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
    33 times

From the condition of the coin, my suggestion probably won't hurt the value much, as the date is completely gone.

To raise the date on worn out Buffalo nickels, use a small drop of ferric chloride (Radio Shack circuit board etchant) on the area of the date. Because the date was stamped quite hard with the dies, the raised date will resist the etching solution more so than the surrounding area, and after about a minute, you can see what the date is.

As for silver, you need to use a more aggressive etching solution. The only thing that I've found that works is Nitric acid. You can dilute it to around 30 % with distilled water. Be sure to add the acid to the water, NOT water to the acid! If you do, the acid will cause the water to 'explode' and you'll have an unwelcome spray of acid all over your clothes, or WORSE!. Use goggles and rubber gloves, and the usual common sense precautions.

This will at least let you know without a doubt what the date was.

Knipper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links