PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT A DATE FOR THIS STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER

LOCAL SWINGER

Oct 10, 2008
chautauqua county new york
Detector(s) used
whites m6 matrix and XLT
Sorry my pics didnt come threw on my last entry,I think I got it figured out ,FINALY.Sorry for the trouble. About todays hunt,My wife and I decided to go to the city and search sidewalk strip that the citys BPU dug to replace a shot gas line.My first target was a W.T.GRANT STORE "lucky token" it sure was lucky! My Scond hole was a large .925 silver ring,My third hole was a Standing liberty quarter with the date washed off and the last target was a 1941 Mercury dime.Not to bad for 20 feet of sidewalk.Searched the rest of the day and only found clad .I sure would like to have a approximate date for the quarter.If anybody can help,id appreciate ya!Thank you!

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 999
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 994
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: HELP ME WITH DATE OF LIBERTY QUARTER

1916 or 1917 variety 1. Better take a close look to see if you can ID the last number.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
1916 or 1917 variety 1. Better take a close look to see if you can ID the last number.

Hogge is right!!! You SLQ can only be a 1916 or 1917 variety 1. You're really hoping for a 1916....it's worth a bunch. Your SLQ has seen better days, but it's a keeper, no doubt!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
L

LOCAL SWINGER

Oct 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites m6 matrix and XLT
Re: HELP ME WITH DATE OF LIBERTY QUARTER

hogge said:
Ihave tried to decifer the date, any recomendations on how to get to the bottom of this date.Should I take it to a coin collector? or hoo.Thanks so much for your reply,Happy digging!!!

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Great finds for a area like that. Hope you find the date.

OP
OP
L

LOCAL SWINGER

Oct 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites m6 matrix and XLT
Captn_SE said:
Thanks For the instant response! Just looked up your dates on internet,your right im hopeing for a 1916 HOLY WOW!!!!!

Hogge is right!!! You SLQ can only be a 1916 or 1917 variety 1. You're really hoping for a 1916....it's worth a bunch. Your SLQ has seen better days, but it's a keeper, no doubt!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
with my colonial coin to get a date DonSJ used a negative image from the picture I had up online...maybe you could try making a negative an see what comes out of that....

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Here's the article that tells you how to tell if it is 1916 or 1917... btw, I think it is a 1916.

For some reason this link is not working... take out the word SPACE and copy and paste the two parts into your browser...

http://www.anacs.comSPACE/(A(TCKIED0UyQEkAAAAYjI1NDU0YWQtOTk0Zi00MWMxLTljNjMtMWRjNTQ1NTNiMGM5paQj1ETs6w1X0G5r_j9wsShhnag1)S(nh0whwafec1ofgywtw4xrv55))/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=16

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
If you're wondering how we know it's definitely a 1916 or 1917 Variety 1, it's because there are no stars below the eagle on the reverse. Later SLQ's had 3 stars below the eagle.
You want it to be the 1916.
Why? Because the 1916 is a rare coin-only 52,00 were minted.
Why? Because the right breast of Liberty was exposed, evoking howls of protest from the prudish. The mint quickly caved to the pressure and redesigned the coin so that the breast was covered by drapery.
The 1916 is worth several thousand dollars, even in the lower Good or Fine grades .Since your coin does not have a legible date, it would probably not qualify as Good. More likely it would be considered About Good grade. But it still might be worth several hundred dollars, at least.
So look carefully at the figure of Liberty and see if you can detect boobage :D

OP
OP
L

LOCAL SWINGER

Oct 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites m6 matrix and XLT
MrBling said:
If you're wondering how we know it's definitely a 1916 or 1917 Variety 1, it's because there are no stars below the eagle on the reverse. Later SLQ's had 3 stars below the eagle.
You want it to be the 1916.
Why? Because the 1916 is a rare coin-only 52,00 were minted.
Why? Because the right breast of Liberty was exposed, evoking howls of protest from the prudish. The mint quickly caved to the pressure and redesigned the coin so that the breast was covered by drapery.
The 1916 is worth several thousand dollars, even in the lower Good or Fine grades .Since your coin does not have a legible date, it would probably not qualify as Good. More likely it would be considered About Good grade. But it still might be worth several hundred dollars, at least.
So look carefully at the figure of Liberty and see if you can detect boobage :D
THANKS SO MUCH!! WE HAVE BOOBAGE,looks to me like the garmet travels along side the bare bust,Iswear the breast has a nipple,could that be true? Im sorry if im not aloud to say nipple,But you guys got me all worked up.im meeting a coin guy for breakfast,stay tuned.If all is true Ill have it for life,Wow what a day!!!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
..............just to clarify and correct, a bare breast DOES NOT mean it is definitely a 1916, it could just as easily (and more probably) be a 1917 Type 1.

In mid-1917, after public outcry, they covered the breast and re-worked the reverse (which we call Type 2) which included the addition of 3 stars below the eagle.

Still a nice find and keep digging, sidewalks don't stay dug up forever........ :thumbsup:

HH all!

Greg

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Definitely a 16 or 17; I'd be surprised to find a nipple, given that the date's gone! :wink: Nipple or no, it's still a great find!

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
From the condition of the coin, my suggestion probably won't hurt the value much, as the date is completely gone.

To raise the date on worn out Buffalo nickels, use a small drop of ferric chloride (Radio Shack circuit board etchant) on the area of the date. Because the date was stamped quite hard with the dies, the raised date will resist the etching solution more so than the surrounding area, and after about a minute, you can see what the date is.

As for silver, you need to use a more aggressive etching solution. The only thing that I've found that works is Nitric acid. You can dilute it to around 30 % with distilled water. Be sure to add the acid to the water, NOT water to the acid! If you do, the acid will cause the water to 'explode' and you'll have an unwelcome spray of acid all over your clothes, or WORSE!. Use goggles and rubber gloves, and the usual common sense precautions.

This will at least let you know without a doubt what the date was.

Knipper

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
Here's a pic of a whole dateless SLQ I found this weekend. Below it is the date area after treating with the Nitric acid. It's faint, but enough to tell me this is a 1918S date.

Attachments

• SLQ.jpg
    SLQ.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 443

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice find!!

The drape at the bottom left, to me, seems to indicate a 1917 type 1. I found a similar dateless SLQ (a bit more worn than yours) and wanted it so badly to be a 1916 but I am prone to believe it is just a 1917.

Still, it's best to have it checked by a professional to be certain as pictures don't always tell the full story.

Again, congrats on a very good coin.

Ray

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here is my two cents worth.. (Although I'm not an expert by any means, just having done some research last winter) I did a side-by-side comparison your coin to 1916 Type 1 and a 1917 Type 1. One feature of the 1916 versus the `17 is that on the `16, Lady Liberty's head breaks up the border around the coin of small dots and the top of her head somewhat higher than the "E" in "Liberty" ( the 1917's top of her head lines up with the top of the "E"). Although it could be a product of the wear your coin has sustained, the top of her head appears to be higher than the "E". As others have said, take it to a professional - a dealer whom you trust. If it is the real deal, he'll be even more excited than you!! The mintage for the 1916 and 1917 T-1 are as follows:
1916 52,000
1917 8,792,000
1917D 1,509,000
1917S 1,952,000

If it's a `16 it would be a truly rare find, indeed!!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine having the silver to make 4 to 8,000,000 coins a year!!

Thats crazy,

Nice find... I hope it is the real deal !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
at1cad said:
Here's the article that tells you how to tell if it is 1916 or 1917... btw, I think it is a 1916.

For some reason this link is not working... take out the word SPACE and copy and paste the two parts into your browser...

http://www.anacs.com/(A(TCKIED0UyQEkAAAAYjI1NDU0YWQtOTk0Zi00MWMxLTljNjMtM%20WRjNTQ1NTNiMGM5paQj1ETs6w1X0G5r_j9wsShhnag1)S(nh0whwafec1ofgywtw4xrv55))/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=16

Based on this web site it is identified as a 1917 Type I. Look at the gown on Liberty's right leg, a "wide "J"", bottom of the gown touches the "date pad" and the gown is off the ankle. Never the less a superior find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread