ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
warning long post * 20 barbers dimes 20 merc dimes 8 walkerhalves 3 40% ken's

yesterday my wife wanted me to get her a McCain / Palin "yard" sign so off to a local political rally I go-- while there I see a old freind of my wifes --and while chatting with her out of the corner of my eye I saw they were selling shirts and other stuff at a table and there ithey were just sitting there *** holy smokes **** someone had turned in a nice bit ofold silver in three 20 slot book binder pages and a mini zip lock type bag -- like a moth to the flame I asked whats with the coins ? to the lady at the table -- she said someone donated them and told us to sell em to get up money -- so I looked em over rapidly -- 20 count sheet of merc dimes -- 20 count sheet of barber dimes--- 8 walker halves --3 40% kennedy halves and 7 assorted kennedy clad halves --two 1776 -1976 clad halves and a 1776 - 1976 quarter. so I tell her-- I 'll give you $40 for them so you don't have to bother with them this close to the election since you need to focus on the "election"-- ok she says -- so I head over the a nearby atm and snag the cash and did the deal --- so $40 in --well right off the bat after checking themout , I found there was 6.75 of spendible clad in the mix -- so that means --- I spent $33.25 forthe silver .

so for $33.25 I got -- (20) barber dimes that normal go for at least $2 each ($40) in G4 shape and they are worth 70 cents each justbecause of silver content -- $14 at $10 per oz silver melt value--- (20) merc dimes worth at least $1 each ($20) in G4 shape and also worth $14 at melt value--- ( 8 ) walker haves worth at least $4.50 each ($36) in G4 and worth $28.80 in melt -- 3 - 40%ers worth $1.40 each ($4.20) due to silver content--- final tally with silver melt value at $10 per oz -- $61.00

UPDATE --- sold the 8 walkers for $4.00 each -- ($32.00)-- gave the 3 40% away at face value to a "freind" for his kids ($1.50) -and my metal detecting club president wants the mercs at 70 cent "melt value" --($14) for 20 --and the barbers at $1 each -- so ($20) ---for club find of the month award coins ( we award a coin in each of 4 classes --coin /jewelry /relic (any metal item not a coin or jewelry)/ and misc (non metal items) for the best find as voted by the members --- so my one day investment of $33.25paid back--$67.50 -- so $34.25 of "easy money" -- plus the metal detecting club saves money on silver award coins for the next 10 months for our monthly meetings ( 4 classes of finds x 10 months = 40 dimes) --which is a good thing to boot. :thumbsup:

so going to take the wife out tonight for a nice bit of BBQ with the loot :icon_pirat:--easy come / easy go. :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Re: politics paid off last night --wife wanted a "yard sign" so I go to rally

Hmmm... guess it depends on who the rally was for!! ;-)

Good deal...

MB

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
to get her a "yard" sign cuz she wants one and while there I see a old freind of my wifes -- that is a shoe in for political seat in the state of florida * so we chatted a bit -- I saw they were selling shirts and other stuff at a table and there it was just sitting there *** holy smokes **** someone had turned in a nice bit of old silver in three 20 slot book binder pages and a mini zip lock type bag -- like a moth to the flame I asked whats with the coins ? --the lady at the table said --someone donated them and told us to sell em to get up money -- so I looked em over rapidly -- 20 ct sheet of merc dimes -- 20 ct sheet of barber dimes---8 walker halves --3 40% kennedy halves and 7 assorted clad halves --two 1776 -1976 clad halves and a 1776 - 1976 quarter. I tell them I give you $40 for them so you don't have to bother with them this close to the election since you need to focus on the "election"-- ok she says -- so I head over the a nearby atm and snag the cash and did the deal --- so $40 in --well right off the bat there was 6.75 of spendible clad in the mix -- so that means --- I spent $33.25 forthe silver part of it .

so for $33.25 I got -- (20) barber dimes that normal go for at least $2 each ($40) in G4 shape and they are worth 70 cents each justbecause of silver content -- $14 at $10 per oz silver melt value--- (20) merc dimes worth at least $1 each ($20) in G4 shape and also worth $14 at melt value---(8) walker haves worth at least $4.50 each ($36) in G4 and worth $28.80 in melt -- 3 - 40%ers worth $1.40 each ($4.20) due to silver content--- final tally with silver melt value at $10 per oz -- $61.00 ( so at the very least a $27.75 profeit almost double my investment at scrap price)--and by coin collector minimum G4 book prices $100.20 -- $66.95 for a profeit of 3 x times my investment ;D-=-not bad huh?
cliff notes version available online ?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Way to keep your eyes open. I'm always treasure hunting also. I think you got a great deal. I bet the barbers are worth more than $2 each. I paid $4 each recently for some common dates.

Jason

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure you did great, but now my head hurts. I guess some things are just hard to explain fast.
That must have been like the hardest thing to explain...No wait a second, I believe that the hardest is the Theory of Relitivity. Let me give that one a shot, here goes: All motion must be defined relative to a frame of reference and that space and time are relative, rather than absolute concepts. Dang, yours was harder!
You win! :wink:

(Shhhh, I'm being mean 'cause I want them coins....)

HH,
Ramapirate

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

well, most politicansd have their hands in our pockets...I guess it's only fair to turn the tables when you can :)

good eagle eye you got there, hopefully the politician in question gets your vote now :)

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd say you got a good deal, my local coin dealer sells me common date barbers or Mercs for $1.00 each

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

I thought quick at $1 each for barbers and merc dimes -- that $40 worth for just the 20 count sheet of each at "cull quality prices " (plus several are in fairly decent shape)-- with the 8 walkers and 3 40% kennedy halves thrown in for free* -- theres no way to lose at those prices.

heck after wheeling and dealing today -- I doubled my money over night -- I love a sweet deal like this.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: warning long post * 20 barbers dimes 20 merc dimes 8 walkerhalves 3 40% ken's

coins now all gone -- the "free" food was good :thumbsup: . also got a couple "free "lotto tickets

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: warning long post * 20 barbers dimes 20 merc dimes 8 walkerhalves 3 40% ken's

You the man Ivan! And the eye for research kept your eye for good deals going too, I see. Great finds. Bet your club is happy too.

SKD
WeDigOhio
and now we watch garage sales, etc.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW ! :thumbsup:

Keep @ It and HH!!

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to keep your eyes open. Money is everywhere around, most just cannot see it. It just doesn't grow on trees yet. Yet it maybe hidden within a tree.
HHHH

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Great deal! Reminds me of an auction I went to last summer. They had a load of silver coins along with everthing else in the estate. They decided to sell the coins at a small back table while the main auction continued in the main auction hall. I grabbed 67 barber dimes and nearly 100 merc's for 50 cents each. Then came the quarters....
80 barber quarters for $1 each and silver Washington quarters for $0.75 each. The only coins I didn't win were the half dollars, walkers, barbers and Franklins, they sold for $4.50 - $6.00 each.

The cool thing was they sold "choice of one coin" and when I won the first barber dime I said "I'll take 'em all" and did the same with the other coins, too.

*** The above is HIGHLY unusual, especially around here.... coins usually bring 2 or 3 times more than they are worth at auctions here. But every now and then I get a real deal. (1925 Stone Mtn Comm Half, $20; 1926 Oregon Trail Comm, $25; 1921 Peace Dollar in F12 $11 and 1921 Peace Dollar in XF45 $26) But yet junky worn common date Morgan Dollars will bring $40 and more.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Melt value means nothing now. If you are buying silver bullion coin you may pay a "premium" like I just did, winning 100 Mercury dimes on Ebay. Paid about $1.29 ea. if you include shipping+ins.
Barber dimes go for even more of a primium due to collectibility, and I would say that $2 ea for Barber dimes would be close.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

smart. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

my momma RAISED A UGLY CHILD NOT A DUMB ONE. :icon_sunny: I'm so bright my daddy called me "son"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread