Lots O Gold: 1830 United States Navy (Marines) Eagle Button

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots O' Gold: 1830 United States Navy (Marines) Eagle Button

Here is my near final result of the awesomely corroded button that I found on my last hunt. This button was about as bad as they come and required alot of attention and application to get this clean, ESPECIALLY, because of the amount of gilt still left on it which was certainly alot. The crud actually is what kept all the gilt on underneath that hard outer covering. This button took me about 6 days of cleaning to get to this point. The backmark is "Scovills ** Waterbury" which dates it to 1830. Many of these buttons in this area get this corrosion as you have probably seen with some of my other buttons including the U.S. Marines 1860 that I posted two months ago (which made American Digger Magazine for this month-thanks Steve S.:wink:) Hope y'all like as I put alot of elbow grease into this one, it really is phenominal how hard and tough this material is to remove from these buttons :P:

The button fresh out of the ground looked similar to this one however I didn't take a picture of this particular button before starting the cleaning process and I apologize for that...I must've got carried away trying to clean it...So, have a look at this one which was found not too far from this same site and imagine about twice as thick with corrosion:

My Pictures 052.jpg

Day 3: THIS IS it. Halfway through the cleaning process. You can still see that it has heavy buildup on it. This was about 3 days into vigorous cleaning:
MD Pics 325.jpg
MD Pics 324.jpg
MD Pics 323.jpg

Day 6: This is the near done product. Probably 5 to 6 mm of crud removed from the face! Very pretty button!

MD Pics 328.jpg

MD Pics 329.jpg

With a wee bit more soaking, I should be able to get that remaining hard-to-get clinger on corrosion out of the face of the Eagle :wink:

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Re: Lots O' Gold: 1830 United States Navy Eagle Button

Looks like all that elbow grease was worth it! :o
Mike

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300

That's a great Navy Eagle Button. What methods do you use to do the cleaning? Looks like it works very well.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vision quest said:
That's a great Navy Eagle Button. What methods do you use to do the cleaning? Looks like it works very well.

Vision Quest,

Depending on the condition of the button, I have several different methods to combat each case by case...This particular button I used a combination of three or four different methods. :wink:

DD-777 said:
Incredible as always buddy!!! That is one pretty button for sure - let me know when your going to open your museum... ;D :thumbsup:

LOL ;D ;D :D ITS ALREADY open for business my friend, to all my friends and family :wink: :D I have so much stuff that I will get around to posting it all at the end of the year coming up so that everyone will be able to see. Glad you like this button, its one of the better gilted buttons that I have found out of the many that I've found over the years :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Wow, when I saw the first picture I thought - ROACHED. :P I thought - no way to clean that. Wow was I surprised! :icon_sunny:

But you didn't mention any of the cleaning methods used.....That is a very cool button. I think you did a great cleaning job.

Bob

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Nice button! :thumbsup:

However, I believe it's U.S. Marine Corps, not Navy.

If you have Albert's button book, compare your find to #MC 5A on p. 109.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, I might I thrown that in my junk pile. I need to check more carefully. Nice job on the cleaning 8)

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since the cleaning was more of the spot light on this post (beautiful job/awesome button by the way) is your process for cleaning buttons something you plan to package and sell? Is this copyrighted material perhaps? If not and as another post by Mirage inquired, how did you go about cleaning the button?

We really want to know,
Ramapirate

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one EARLY Marine Corps!

And it is a Beautiful find.

Now tell us what ya did to get it clean >:( :D or else Nicky will send Uncle Wheat-O after ya!

Aluminum Jelly is one of the methods?

:wink:

-Buck

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

Very nice button----I also would like to know the way that you clean up your buttons
That is a awesome job.Congrats :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Fantastic button! I add my voice to the ragged throng clamoring for your cleaning method(s).

johnreb1980

Jan 7, 2008
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300

You are doing a very good job on that button. :thumbsup:

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love the progression of the pictures of your coin slowly being cleaned.
Like Bob said, can you share your cleaning process?
I am amazed at how the button ( which was a great find) is turning out.
Congrats, please let us know your secrets.
Rob

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Wow, when I saw the first picture I thought - ROACHED. :P I thought - no way to clean that. Wow was I surprised! :icon_sunny:

But you didn't mention any of the cleaning methods used.....That is a very cool button. I think you did a great cleaning job.

Bob

Hey Bob, I will...I just was busy last night when I came in having to leave immediatiely to my parents. I'll post them when I get home from work this afternoon if anyone would like them :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK said:
Nice button! :thumbsup:

However, I believe it's U.S. Marine Corps, not Navy.

If you have Albert's button book, compare your find to #MC 5A on p. 109.

I have to say, the picture doesn't do it justice and does make the anchor look a bit "tilted" however in person it looks more straight up and down (90 degrees). There are several examples of it on Treasure Depot in the Button Book...but with that being said I can see where it does also look like a U.S. Marine button which is preferable because they are much harder to find. I will have to wait until I get all the crud out of the face to know for sure...if the anchor is indeed at a straight up and down from the eagle than it'll be a navy....if its more at a 45: Marine. Either way I WILL take it ;D ;D ;D :wink: :thumbsup:

Here's a very similar design PBK for the Navy BUtton that I have although about 10 years newer of a button than mine:
United States Navy
1840-50
2pc. convex brass, 23mm
BM: "Scovills & Co. Waterbury"
Eagle facing right at top of anchor, lined field, 13 five pointed stars, rope border
Photo submitted by: Jimmie Laster (Virginia)
U.S. Marines 7.jpg

Much like this other Navy Button that I also found last weekend:
US Navy 1840.jpg

Here's a pic of the U.S. Marines Button that I found. Notice the anchor on the Marines button is actually tilted at a 45 degree angle instead of the straight up and down orientation of the Navy Eagle:
U.S. Marine Corps
1850-65
2piece 14mm
B/M: "Scovills"
13 stars, lined field.
Other backmarks may apply. See backmark reference.
MD Pics 313ed.JPG

Attachments

• U.S. Marines 7.jpg
    U.S. Marines 7.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 854
  • MD Pics 313ed.JPG
    MD Pics 313ed.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 816

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro

That button is a nice find. I look forward to seeing what your cleaning method is. I found an old army button. I was in the army and it's similar to one I had but differant enough to tell me it's old.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's my cleaning methods for all those interested:

Tools: Shot Glasses or small dipping bowls, peroxide, Greased Lightning, razor knife, Battery Charger with accesories for Electrolysis

Methods:

1. Hot Peroxide Treatments: Followed by nice liberal brushing with a toothbrush and occasional dipping back into the solution.

2. Chemical Treatments: There are several chemicals that can destroy a buttons finish. Trial and era over the years on cheap and worthless buttons has given me the knowledge on what to use when cleaning my buttons and indeed I have honed in certain solutions that work terrific. I would recommend to novice cleaners as well as old time cleaners to try "Greased Lightning" it can be found at Wal-Mart. Soak the button in a shot glass with this solution for a few hours and then come back and clean with toothbrush. Repeat if necessary.

3. Electrolysis: This is a very important step on some of the buttons as it is nearly impossible to loosen the corrosion without it. However, you have to be VERY careful because if the button has alot of gilt as the one above, too much electrolysis will destroy the gilt. You have to monitor very closely and only use it at 30 seconds to a minute at a time.

4. Repeat steps 1 and 2-----(At this point as well, you must be VERY careful, but the crud should start to become just alittle pliable and you will be able to gently and VERY VERY carefully use a razor or razor knife to help remove some of the corrosion. I would only recommend this on buttons that are very bad off and to people who have a steady hand and feel comfortable with doing it as you DO NOT want to destroy the finish or face of your beautiful button which would leave you :'()

5. Naval/Aluminum Jelly: This is a final stage and helps polish the button and bring out that beautiful gilt color. Wipe it on and I recommend leaving it on from for 30 seconds to 1 minutes. Remove jelly and clean up until desired luster is given!

VIOLA, that's the steps. IT takes some TLC and patience but if you follow them and follow them well, you too will have a button that you thought was impossible to salvage sitting in YOUR collection as one of the nicest and most detailed!

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice buttons and thanks for the tips! Have you ever tried Aluminum Jelly? Works wonders but only on buttons with gilt visible. I posted an example on the relic board/buttons. Congrats and keep posting those nice buttons!
Mike

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

brnn53 said:
Nice buttons and thanks for the tips! Have you ever tried Aluminum Jelly? Works wonders but only on buttons with gilt visible. I posted an example on the relic board/buttons. Congrats and keep posting those nice buttons!
Mike

Aluminum/ Naval Jelly work very similarly. Mostly do use Naval Jelly though.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread