3 torn down old houses, and need help please

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
Got permission to hunt a site where they tore down 3 old houses. This is the first time I have tried to hunt on a construction site. It was just ripped up with a bulldozer. And they had sprinkers on it to keep down the dust. I found a 194? and a 1913 wheat pennies. And I also found my first silver , a 1943 mercury dime! I was very excited. I'll post some pics after the pennies are cleaned up. Got a bucket of nails, and other crud I am going to wash off and see what I have too.

AS far as needing help. I was using my new dfx, I haven't had problems before with all the false signals. ??? I had it on both coins and coins and jewelry. And kept getting bad signals, it kept giving me good tones, numbers and icons on nails and junk. I know I do not know how to use the machine fully. But this just doesn't seem right. Any help would be extremly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrats on your first silver,,, WTG!!!!
I would say it's probably all the nails giving you the false signasl. Sometime they can be very hard to tell from a good silver hit.
They seem to put out what I call spikes off the ends of them, that will make tour detector hit high.
Sometimes thay will give off a double hit, and sometime hit like iron in one direction, or another... Very iffy silver hit...
I still dig a lot of nails, but every now & then it is silver...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Good going, Maggot! Every so often, teardowns give me fits as well with all the crud that is part of old houses-copper pipe, wires, nails, and such. There's not much you can do in my opinion, it depends on the dozer operator. Here, most of them raze the bldg., scoop up most of the remains, dig a hole about 6-7 ft deep, pull the foundation and top soil into it and then put the hole dirt on top. Kind of sanitizes the area around the house. Good luck and keep finding the good stuff. 8)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
False signals are just part of your life now, get used to it LOL.
It would be great if our MD's told us exactly what the object is and how deep it is,which is what they ARE supposed to do!
But with different ground conditions thrown in to the mix,you really cant trust what it tells you every time.
Turn the discrimination down, and dig it all. Who knows how many pulltabs you passed up were really gold rings!!!
Dano

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Dfx has very little problems with iron. It takes alot of hrs to know it. It sounds to me your just running the unit to hot for the grounds your in. Crank the a.c sence down to 55 and that will quiet it down alot. You can't expect the preset programs to be fit for every ground you come across. That's why they made the unit so versatile. Not that it's complicated. It does 30 times what a regular nob and threshold unit will do.

As a beginner your going to come across alot of situations in the field. Depending on how much you read up on this unit and how much time you spend on it will determine how much you find.

Read and practice as much as possible. If you want to be successful your gonna have to know the unit well.

Good Luck Jer

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know if I can explain this well but here goes. Try pinpointing the object that's giving you a good signal. Then swing your detector again directly where you pinpointed the object to be. A lot of times, you will find that the good signal you were getting is just an aura around an iron object.

Or like Leon said it's a nail with a good "aura" at the end of it.

Good luck with this site. Post if you find anything else!

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Cool Deal on the coins !! Since the site is very busy with readings, no matter what you do..turn "ON" Mixed Mode , 2 Tone method....it will Cherry Pick ;)

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread