Really nice 1803 Draped Bust LC WOW!!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I found this about 45min ago in the field on my neighbors property.

Still kinda wound and I will have more later.... The coin is in peroxide now and I must go and moniter its progress.

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_5285_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_5285_1_1_1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_5288_1_1.JPG
    IMG_5288_1_1.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that your coin is going to be a beauty when she is cleaned up. Great find! Congrats!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Wow, great find. Yes, do post cleaned up photo's.

Great digs... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 783
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 762

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found that....and you left?!!! :o Oh my goodness, VPR! GREAT detail on that coin!

Congrats and get back out there!!! Nana :wink:

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Nana40 said:
You found that....and you left?!!! :o Oh my goodness, VPR! GREAT detail on that coin!

Congrats and get back out there!!! Nana :wink:

This coin was found about 100 feet from my front door.....

This is the spot that I hit when I dont feel like hiking out to other spots.

VPR

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful largie VPR. Lots of detail left on that one. :thumbsup: There's a few different varieties of this one but I cant help you with which one it is. ;D Don in SJ will know though. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to see another detectorist finding a nice Large Cent, they always bring a nice feeling when seeing one emerge from the ground! :wink:

My ole eyes are a bit crosseyed from looking but after looking at many of the varieties of the 1803 (approx 23 varieties) I am fairly certain it is one of the Very Common varieties S-255 (A small date, small fraction variety). Some factors I looked for to determine were: On the Obverse side: The 1 8 0 widely spaced with the 03 close. Corner of 3 close to drapery but not touching. Right feet of both T and Y missing, as well as part of left foot of Y.

On the Reverse side: Fraction line long and too far to the right, covering last 0 but not the 1.

Don

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Here she is cleaned as far as I think I am going to go.

The back came cleaner than I expected. This makes 3 keeper coins from this spot. 1942 Washington, 1937 Walker and now this one.
I found a pewter spoon the same day that I found the walker and was wondering if the spot was really that old.
Guess so.... I will be spending more time over there.

The coin was about 6" deep on the edge of a hay field. The silver has come from about 100 yards away unde some apple trees. This is my third Large Cent and every one has SCREAMED dime on my ACE 250.

I would sell my soul for a better machine..... Not that the ACE has failed me but if this is the stuff that I am finding I can only imagine what is deeper.

Thanks for sharing the excitement, VPR

Attachments

• IMG_5301_1_1.JPG
    IMG_5301_1_1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_5302_1_1.JPG
    IMG_5302_1_1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 730

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real Nice Draped Bust. Alot of these are not that well preserved. Congrats...Hogge :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
This coin was found about 100 feet from my front door..... This is the spot that I hit when I dont feel like hiking out to other spots.

Proves my theory that sometimes it pay to be lazy!! ;D

Congrats on the great find. :thumbsup: Sounds like you have good reason to stay close to home for a while!! :wink:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Largie VPR , looks like it was dropped not long after being minted :thumbsup:

NICE ! ! :headbang:

D.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How sweet is that VPR.....Congrat's on a Great find!!!! :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a nice Large Cent. The pewter spoon is a dead giveaway that the spot is an old one.

Don't under estimate the ACE 250. It is capable of going very deep, if ground conditions will allow for it. I dug a colonial at 10 inches with the Ace 250.

You may be able to squeeze a little more depth out of a more expensive machine, but the real advantage is how the more expensive machines handle difficult and changing ground conditions. The Ace is balanced at the factory and this will be ok in most conditions, but if you are in highly mineralized ground it may be a challange. The Ace works very well in trashy areas, due to its fast reponse time. Another major advantage of the more expensive units is how they can disciriminate good targets from bad. For example, the ACE has 12 "notches", the White's DFX has 195. The advantage is that if you are bothered by a particular type of pull tab, you can discriminate them out with the DFX without as much risk of missing good targets such as gold jewelry. With the Ace, if you discriminate out pull tabs you run the risk of missing this jewelry.

Even though I prefer my DFX, I still love the ACE 250. I leave it in my car all the time (something I would never do with my DFX), so that if the opportunity to detect pops up, I am always ready.

Congrats on the 1803 !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread