1st relic hunt finds belt plate, axes, reeds, bell and others

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,
Got out to a site yesterday with fellow Tnet Member Stormfighter . He got us permission to hunt an old home site on the back side of a farm, this is a first relic hunt for both of us. I don't usually mind the cold but at 7:00am in Northern Jersey it was a little chilly, even for me with a light frost on the ground and a steady breeze. We packed everything we thought we would need to be able to stay in there and hunt the whole day.The hike into the spot with all our gear and the thoughts of old stuff pouring out of the ground warmed us up quick. We get to the spot and start hitting it. The spot consists of not much to see but some fallen over rock in a 10'x15' area with the front 4'x10' area is just a deep pit, almost like the front of the house had a cellar.
We had a great time, we both made some great first finds. When we came out we chatted it up with the farmer who said he has 2 more sites on the property we could hit. Here are some pics of the site and a few of the finds we made.
Thanks for looking,
Glenn

Attachments

• 1strelicsite 003.jpg
    1strelicsite 003.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 812
  • 10198f7 004.jpg
    10198f7 004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 802
  • 10198f7 003.jpg
    10198f7 003.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 811
  • 10198f7 002.jpg
    10198f7 002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 806
  • 10198f7 010.jpg
    10198f7 010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 809
  • 10198f7 006.jpg
    10198f7 006.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 795
  • 10198f7 005.jpg
    10198f7 005.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 805
  • 1strelicsite 012.jpg
    1strelicsite 012.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 812
  • 1strelicsite 010.jpg
    1strelicsite 010.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
civilman1 said:
That's what I'm talking about.....Beautiful Dig on the Plate,not to mention the other relic's.I'll probably hunting the rest of my life for one and you find it on your first relic hunt :D It's all good...Very Nice!!!! :thumbsup:

Civilman, kinda took the words outta my mouth. I've been hunting relics for close to two years, everyday chanting in my head "PLATE! PLATE! PLATE!" and you dig one on your first hunt!!! That's one hard hitting Title you got there! ;D

I hope I go out on my first coin hunt and find a chain cent! Here's the title "First coin hunt finds chain cent, LC cache, 20 dollar gold piece and a pull tab" ::)

Congratulations on a spectacular hunt!!

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

tsgman said:
Congrats on those great finds!

Thanks tsgman :thumbsup:

silverfreak said:
Looks like a good hunt TDNY :thumbsup:

Thanks silverfreak :thumbsup:

Old River said:
Great finds, Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Old River :thumbsup:

civilman1 said:
That's what I'm talking about.....Beautiful Dig on the Plate,not to mention the other relic's.I'll probably hunting the rest of my life for one and you find it on your first relic hunt :D It's all good...Very Nice!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks civilman1, beginners luck for sure. Like fishing when you take someone who never fished before they always catch the biggest one. You make some great finds, I hope you get one. Good luck to you and the family at the new house and all.
Glenn

wildrider said:
Pretty cool buckle. I only counted 12 stars on yours (4 times I counted) then looking at the volunteer relic site I saw the 13th star was on the shield on the eagles chest.

Way cool !!!

w

Thanks wildrider, Hard to see the middle star on mine. I'll have to look around to see how to clean it.
Glenn

Captn_SE said:
Hey, Glenn, thanks for posting a couple photos of your site. :thumbsup: Very interesting! ::)

You made some very old finds! Love the belt plate and crotal bell!!

Good luck on your return!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan, Stormfighter and I can't wait to get back in there. I loved the bell as soon as I got it. I knew what it was from other members' post's. I wasn't sure on the plate though, I saw the tongue on the back and eagle and stars but
the condition kept me from thinking it was something really nice.
Glenn

t-bucket said:
Very cool finds , Congrats on the belt plate !!! :thumbsup:

Thanks t-bucket :thumbsup:

willie d said:
Killer finds Glenn. Looks like the beginning of a great series of hunts for you two. WTG :thumbsup:

Thanks willie d, we can't wait to get back there, no doubt with a ton of ground to cover we're going to have some great hunts here.
Glenn

Michiganne said:
Nice relics, Glenn! I would love to find one of those crotal bells. Woods hunting is a lot of fun. Nice pics, too.

HH

Thanks Michiganne, there is something about those bells that I always like too. Good Luck to you.
Glenn

IAsoldier said:
WTG and nice relics

Thanks IAsoldier :thumbsup:
Glenn

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

chopper said:
civilman1 said:

Civilman, kinda took the words outta my mouth. I've been hunting relics for close to two years, everyday chanting in my head "PLATE! PLATE! PLATE!" and you dig one on your first hunt!!! That's one hard hitting Title you got there! ;D

I hope I go out on my first coin hunt and find a chain cent! Here's the title "First coin hunt finds chain cent, LC cache, 20 dollar gold piece and a pull tab" ::)

Congratulations on a spectacular hunt!!

Thanks chopper that's funny ;D I hope you get get one Man, mine was by luck no doubt. We are actually wondering NOW did we just happen across a spot where some guy lost a militia plate at what we thought was a house on the back of a farm? Or are we at a site where there was some action or a camp? Stormfighter did find a cool ball of lead with what looks like a piece of broken extractor tool stuck in it. It's in the 4th picture under the pocket knife, I'm going to take some close-ups and post it in the whatsit section. Good Luck to you.
Glenn

BuckleBoy said:
Nice 1850's Militia Plate there!

Here's a link to a similar one I found earlier this year. (Similar except for the rope border...)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,139354.0.html

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks Buckleboy, I remember seeing your plate, wow that was in Feb.? where did the year go. I see I posted and said I would probably fall over. ;D Well I didn't fall over :thumbsup: mainly because of the condition and the really not knowing what I had :icon_scratch: Good luck to you.
Glenn

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year ain't over yet, Glenn. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

johnreb1980 said:
I believe I would be taking my second relic hunt pretty quick. Great finds.

Thanks johnreb1980, we can't wait to get back :wink: we're working on an afternoon hunt first thing next week.
Glenn

TimmyNY said:
bell looks to be older. the cast tang is the clue there newer ones had a screw to attach them to the harness. I use to have a site bookmarked for bells but cant find it now. nice suspender buckle see you found some shot shells. this site may be of interest

http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm

Tim

Thanks Tim, The bell is looking at early to mid 1800's in the "what is it" forum section which is consistent with the dates of the other finds. Don't know much about suspender buckles but this one, the bigger one looks totally complete. The little one came out of the ground shining just like it is now. Thanks for the link for the cartridges. Here are a couple of nice bell links.
http://www.classicbells.com/info/DatingBells.htm
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html

Good Luck and HH,
Glenn

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Great finds, Love that plate, I've been relic hunting for years and still waiting on my first plate. Great luck in the future.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to dispute that website but your plate looks just like the plate I found last year in Calif. and was told it was the California Militia Plate and I beleive it was earlier than the dates that site states.

Attachments

• my calif plate.jpg
    my calif plate.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 289

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet off to a really good start. Reid

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

WeaponsUSMC said:
Great finds, Love that plate, I've been relic hunting for years and still waiting on my first plate. Great luck in the future.

Thanks WeaponsUSMC, We didn't know much about the site going in, just that it was an old foundation, we were fortunate to make some nice finds. Good Luck to you too.
Glenn

kuger said:
Not to dispute that website but your plate looks just like the plate I found last year in Calif. and was told it was the California Militia Plate and I believe it was earlier than the dates that site states.

Thanks Kuger, You're right my plate is more like yours. I did some very gentle cleaning of mine and it is more like yours and way different than the one linked above. I think I'll start a separate post with the cleaned plate.
Glenn

ReidMan said:
Sweet off to a really good start. Reid

Thanks ReidMan, We hit a good spot and got lucky, can't wait to see what else we get. We have the one we're at now and 2 other foundations about 1500 yards away to hit.
Glenn

PANNONIAN said:
Definitely good place to hunt! Go back there,and congrats. Nice belt plate!

Thanks PANNONIAN, Stormfighter and I can't wait to get back.
Glenn

Roma said:
Love the Crotal bell and buckle

Thanks Roma, They're my favorites too, good luck.
Glenn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread