1st relic hunt finds belt plate, axes, reeds, bell and others

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,
Got out to a site yesterday with fellow Tnet Member Stormfighter . He got us permission to hunt an old home site on the back side of a farm, this is a first relic hunt for both of us. I don't usually mind the cold but at 7:00am in Northern Jersey it was a little chilly, even for me with a light frost on the ground and a steady breeze. We packed everything we thought we would need to be able to stay in there and hunt the whole day.The hike into the spot with all our gear and the thoughts of old stuff pouring out of the ground warmed us up quick. We get to the spot and start hitting it. The spot consists of not much to see but some fallen over rock in a 10'x15' area with the front 4'x10' area is just a deep pit, almost like the front of the house had a cellar.
We had a great time, we both made some great first finds. When we came out we chatted it up with the farmer who said he has 2 more sites on the property we could hit. Here are some pics of the site and a few of the finds we made.
Thanks for looking,
Glenn

Attachments

• 1strelicsite 003.jpg
    1strelicsite 003.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 812
  • 1strelicsite 010.jpg
    1strelicsite 010.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 1strelicsite 012.jpg
    1strelicsite 012.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 812
  • 10198f7 005.jpg
    10198f7 005.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 805
  • 10198f7 006.jpg
    10198f7 006.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 795
  • 10198f7 010.jpg
    10198f7 010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 809
  • 10198f7 002.jpg
    10198f7 002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 806
  • 10198f7 003.jpg
    10198f7 003.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 811
  • 10198f7 004.jpg
    10198f7 004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 802
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Re: 1st relic hunt finds axes, reeds, bell and others

looks like a great old place to hunt.That buckle will propablyclean up and display very nice.
Congrats!!!!!!!I would keep hunting that place. :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would say for the first time out you are off to one heck of a start.

midirtdevil

Sep 21, 2008
Holland, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Alright!!! Big ol BELTPLATE, You got some cash comin!!!!!!! NICE!!!! KOD!!!!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I would LOVE to find all of those awesome relics in one day! :o A Belt plate to top it all off? SWEET!

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice hunt.Love that BELL :tongue3:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are in a great place to hunt. Keep hitting it. Those finds are awesome. The belt plate is top notch. Anyone got an ID on it yet?

S

seger98

Nice pictures, Looks like alot of the same things I find in northern Wi in the old lumber camps! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

fortbball9 said:
looks like a great old place to hunt.That buckle will propablyclean up and display very nice.
Congrats!!!!!!!I would keep hunting that place. :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Thanks fortbball9, I'm going to check out the best way to clean it, we can't wait to get back there.
Glenn

txkickergirl said:
I would say for the first time out you are off to one heck of a start.

Thanks txkickergirl, we couldn't be happier making these finds we see on the net found by other members.
Glenn

chatking6969 said:
Alright!!! Big ol BELTPLATE, You got some cash comin!!!!!!! NICE!!!! KOD!!!!

Thanks chatking6969, Be interesting to see what it looks like cleaned up, I don't think I'd sell it though, it would make a great centerpiece in a display with more finds accumulated from the site over time.
Glenn

COUNTRY GIRL said:
I would LOVE to find all of those awesome relics in one day! :o A Belt plate to top it all off? SWEET!

Thanks COUNTRY GIRL, we had a blast. When I pulled the plate out I thought it was another piece of crap tin that we had been digging until I saw the clip on the back and I new it was something like a plate or buckle.
Glenn

dirt diva said:
Nice hunt.Love that BELL :tongue3:

Thanks dirt diva, I love that bell too. I got the dirt out of the inside and although the pellet has deteriorated some, it still rings :icon_thumleft: No idea on the make/ model or year. I need to see how to clean it the only mark I see is a big number 5 on the bottom.
Glenn

zaxfire69 said:
You are in a great place to hunt. Keep hitting it. Those finds are awesome. The belt plate is top notch. Anyone got an ID on it yet?

Thanks zaxfire69, we can't wait to get back to the spot. I did some research on the belt plate and found the design looks exactly like the 1855-1865 Eagle Militia Panel buckle on this site. Scroll down to the 13th and 14th pic.
http://volunteerrelics.com/buckles.html
Glenn

MonkeyBoy said:
Nice plate!!!!

MB

Thanks MB, can't wait to see it cleaned once I found out the best way.
Glenn

seger98 said:
Nice pictures, Looks like alot of the same things I find in northern Wi in the old lumber camps! :thumbsup:

Thanks seger98, The place has that work camp feel to it. The farmer said a lot of material like wood and stone came out of here, can't wait to see what else comes out of here.
Glenn

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those great finds!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, Thanks for sharing.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I'm talking about.....Beautiful Dig on the Plate,not to mention the other relic's.I'll probably hunting the rest of my life for one and you find it on your first relic hunt :D It's all good...Very Nice!!!! :thumbsup:

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Pretty cool buckle. I only counted 12 stars on yours (4 times I counted) then looking at the volunteer relic site I saw the 13th star was on the shield on the eagles chest.

Way cool !!!

w

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Glenn, thanks for posting a couple photos of your site. :thumbsup: Very interesting! ::)

You made some very old finds! Love the belt plate and crotal bell!!

Good luck on your return!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Glenn. Looks like the beginning of a great series of hunts for you two. WTG :thumbsup:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics, Glenn! I would love to find one of those crotal bells. Woods hunting is a lot of fun. Nice pics, too.

HH

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG and nice relics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread